Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > anyone use a treo 700w or have any experience with it?

anyone use a treo 700w or have any experience with it?
NYK Ace
Senior User
Sep 4, 2006, 11:03 AM

Im thinking of picking one up and just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it / experiences with it.

i really just wanted it for a pda / organizer and a phone all in one package and this looked the sleekest, i really could care less about internet or email on the thing

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2006, 11:13 AM

I just got a PPC-6700 from Sprint..It seems to be a real nice phone and the keyboard is great...
Joe

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2006, 11:15 AM

I have used it and I don't like Windows Mobile that much. It's Windows, so what can I say? I like the 700p better, since it is unadulterated by Windows Mobile. Also, the 650 is great too, I had one for a while until it got ran over

NYK Ace  (op)
Senior User
Sep 4, 2006, 11:22 AM

yea i know the whole window thing is a turn off...

how about as far as bulky-ness is concerned? i dont want it to feel like im lugging around a brick in my pocket all day

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2006, 11:32 AM

they're not too bad, a little thinner than my 6700 actually. windows mobile isnt bad at all, quite nice actually.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by NYK Ace
yea i know the whole window thing is a turn off...

how about as far as bulky-ness is concerned? i dont want it to feel like im lugging around a brick in my pocket all day
You could get a newton... then you'd feel like you were carrying around a large brick in your pocket all day.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2006, 12:03 PM

Better buy some bigger pockets... I've been aching t buy a 2100 for a couple of months now.

Windows mobile hasn't been too bad to me either...
Joe

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2006, 04:47 PM

I call Treos megaphones, but really they aren't too bad. They are just as heavy as my Nokia, and lighter than my Tungsten T2.

macroy
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 06:55 PM

I had it for about a month... then went to the Motorola Q.

I thought it was fine. The Q feels a bit cheap, but its definitely lighter and less "bulkey".

My 700w never had a problem with Windows... but the Q I've had to "reboot" a few times. Not sure if its an issue with the hardware, or MS. Most of my co-workers here that have used both find the Palm version to be better to use. There are more "softwares" and stuff for the Palm - So they say... I've not really looked into "customizing" mine yet.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 07:36 PM

The 700w isn't so bad as far as size goes. It's quite heavy compared to a Blackberry. The stubby antenna will catch on my pockets when I'm getting it out and I have dropped it because of that.

It has some stupid issues - recent call list only shows one entry for a person, so if you have recently called your wife at home and on her cell, she only shows up in the list once and it doesn't tell you which one it is, so if you dial it you don't know what you're getting. Rather annoying since I had become so used to just calling everyone out of my recent calls list on the BlackBerry.

Another stupid issue is that I can't seem to send a picture via email - only via SMS. Not sure if that's related to GoodLink or not.

I have to reset it about once per week. Part of that seems to be caused by GoodLink. I have to reset it a lot when using the camera (but I only rarely use the camera, so I don't really care).

I think the BlackBerry has a better keyboard. The 700w is a little narrow, the keys are raised up too much and have too much travel when pressed. I don't type as quickly on it as I did on the BlackBerry.

It's a much better phone than the BlackBerry was - even the people I call say the same.

Seems to be very slow about letting me know that I have voicemail. Maybe that's Verizon's fault, but doesn't seem like the BlackBerry was that slow about it.

Can be annoying when you have missed calls, email notifications, and new voicemails - all the indicators collapse into one single ! icon at the top of the screen and you have to tap on it to see all the different messages.

Battery life goes downhill fast when Bluetooth is on, but it otherwise decent.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by macroy
I had it for about a month... then went to the Motorola Q.

I thought it was fine. The Q feels a bit cheap, but its definitely lighter and less "bulkey".

My 700w never had a problem with Windows... but the Q I've had to "reboot" a few times. Not sure if its an issue with the hardware, or MS. Most of my co-workers here that have used both find the Palm version to be better to use. There are more "softwares" and stuff for the Palm - So they say... I've not really looked into "customizing" mine yet.

do make sure that you're not running or otherwise making use of any programs or data installed or housed on a memory card, thats guaranteed to cause a lot of havoc and require reboots when the program is active and the phone sleeps. Installing a program like Magic Button that actually quits the program rather than minimizing it (which is what really happens) can make a huge difference.

As far as 'softwares' go, there is a literal ton of apps out there for WM, even WM5, a lot of them are even free. The Developers Kit is available and makes app development fairly easy so a lot of people have taken it on themselves to develop some very niche apps.

My fave, as a Mac user, is one that mounts your Storage card as a hard drive.

Hands down PDAPhoneHome.com is the best site for just about anything in this realm.

NYK Ace  (op)
Senior User
Sep 5, 2006, 05:53 PM

i was looking at some sync solutions so i could pull the photos i take with the treo and copy them to my G5 / sync contacts etc.., does anyone use the missing sync and if so how do you like it or is there a better solution?

macroy
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by CMYKid
do make sure that you're not running or otherwise making use of any programs or data installed or housed on a memory card, thats guaranteed to cause a lot of havoc and require reboots when the program is active and the phone sleeps. Installing a program like Magic Button that actually quits the program rather than minimizing it (which is what really happens) can make a huge difference.

As far as 'softwares' go, there is a literal ton of apps out there for WM, even WM5, a lot of them are even free. The Developers Kit is available and makes app development fairly easy so a lot of people have taken it on themselves to develop some very niche apps.

My fave, as a Mac user, is one that mounts your Storage card as a hard drive.

Hands down PDAPhoneHome.com is the best site for just about anything in this realm.
I'll have to check it out. I have no use for the developers kits... but may be able to use some free tools to make life easier. THanks for the info!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules