Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Connections between iPod/iTunes/Music Library

Connections between iPod/iTunes/Music Library
gulmatan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2009, 03:32 PM

Hi all.

I've got some questions about what can be done with iTunes remotely.

I keep my iTunes library on an external drive. When I'm on the road with my iPod and PowerBook, i would like to buy stuff off of the iTMS and manage my library with the newly purchased music. Then, when I get home, move the new music to my external and resume my regular working setup.

So, is it possible to buy music on the road, manage my playlists and sync my iPod without my external drive which stores my whole library? Then when I get home I can configure my library,. move purchased music from the internal drive to the external where I keep my entire library?
( Last edited by gulmatan; Jan 28, 2009 at 03:49 PM. )
PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz/1GB RAM/OS/X (10.4.11)
Windows--A fate in league with Communism.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 29, 2009, 08:33 AM

There's no remotely elegant way to do this, AFAIK.

The only thing I can think of is to turn off the "copy to library" feature in iTunes and store music outside of the iTunes library folder itself, so that that folder can travel with you, and the other stuff can be on the external. Icky.

Or you can do what I did and replace my laptop's drive with a 500GB!

Forum Links
Forum Rules