Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iBelieve: The Ultimate in Christian Chic

iBelieve: The Ultimate in Christian Chic
paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 05:47 PM

iBelieve

A crucifix lanyard for the shuffle. No hip Christian should be without. Consumerism + Public display of faith = Yay!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2005, 05:49 PM

Love it. Why on earth didn't I have that idea?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2005, 05:51 PM

$1 from every purchase goes to charity...so the red cross will get about $10

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

deomacius
Senior User
Oct 24, 2005, 05:52 PM

For one, it smells like a farce.

Two, do you have just as much contempt for people who have a rainbow or confederate flag on their cars? What about MADD ribbons? Livestrong Foundation bracelets? Just curious.

I see nothing wrong with a person who's strong enough in their belief to wear it on their sleeves. Especially at the risk of onlooker's scorn. Hmph.

(And no, I wouldn't wear one myself.)

You reap what you sow.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 05:55 PM

jesus christ that is cool
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

paul w  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 05:56 PM

I have zero problems with people wearing a crucifix. I'm slightly bemused by the idea that a crucifix could become a convergance item.

Why have a plain one when one that's an mp3 player, a cellphone, a digital camera is way better.

Obviously, it may be a hoax, but a good one if so.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 06:23 PM

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2005, 06:30 PM

This could be a springboard for a long line of shuffle accessories.
You can cap the shuffle with an Ank. Or with some complex plastic work, make it a (large) Star of David.

Seriously though, you could market different shapes and caps to iPod user's customizabilty (is that a word?). sadly, it takes away from the simplicity of the device.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Railroader
Banned
Oct 25, 2005, 01:24 AM

I don't understand some Christians and their fascination with wearing a symbol of execution. What if Christ was killed with a guilotine(sp?)?

It's His resurrection that is far more profound.

The only cross I own is a gold one my wife (then GF) gave me when we first started dating. She was Catholic at the time and didn't understand my aversion to the idea of wearing a cross. I keep it in a memento box in my closet simply because it was the first gift she gave me. Otherwise I would have thrown it out.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
I don't understand some Christians and their fascination with wearing a symbol of execution. What if Christ was killed with a guilotine(sp?)
Fear silly. You have to scare people into believing things.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

deomacius
Senior User
Oct 25, 2005, 01:30 AM

And I don't understand some peoples concern over how others choose to display their faith. I say more power to them. As long as it doesn't interfere with my life, we're cool.

You reap what you sow.

Warung
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 02:44 AM

I don't understand some Christians and their fascination with wearing a symbol of execution.
The cross is a very powerful (and ancient) symbol (of life), which was adopted by early Christians to serve their purposes. It doesn't stand for "execution" but for "life" and re-birth.

/excellent gadget!

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Railroader
Banned
Oct 25, 2005, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
Is that why you believe the things you believe?

It's certainly not why I believe anything.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 25, 2005, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Warung
The cross is a very powerful (and ancient) symbol (of life), which was adopted by early Christians to serve their purposes. It doesn't stand for "execution" but for "life" and re-birth.

/excellent gadget!
Christ was executed on a cross. It is a symbol of His death. An empty tomb is a symbol of His resurrection and His everlasting life.

I guess that doesn't transfer well to a charm you can wear on your neck though.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2005, 05:22 AM

Christ was executed on a cross. It is a symbol of His death. An empty tomb is a symbol of His resurrection and His everlasting life.
Way it runs over here: A crucifix (as favoured by Catholics) is a symbol of His death. An empty cross is a symbol of His sacrifice and resurrection (because He's not on it).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 05:26 AM

Or what if Christ had been electrocuted?

I can dig the whole white crusifix thing though, symbol of purity, tradition and cool.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 05:38 AM

The cross was chosen to symbolize Christianity for the same reason December 25th (or thereabouts) was chosen for Christmas: pairing them up with the symbol and feast of the Pagan sun god was more comfortable for the people who were starting to turn to Christianity.

If he had been executed via any other means, I can't say that the cross would be the symbol of the faith. But it's not the means by which he was killed alone that made it the symbol.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2005, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Warung
The cross is a very powerful (and ancient) symbol (of life),
Huh??
The cross was Rome's way of prolonging death and suffering, being crucified was one of the worst ways to die. The cross was viewed anything but a symbol of life. It was a horrific symbol that slowly lost its impact as Rome stopped crucifying people and the images of suffering faded from the collective minds of the citizens.

As for the symbol for Christianity, even though it was a symbol of death and for the Jews cursed symbol - being nailed to a tree,i.e., wood was considered to be a curse for the Old Testament Jews. Christians took it as a symbol of victory over death.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ozmodiar
The cross was chosen to symbolize Christianity for the same reason December 25th (or thereabouts) was chosen for Christmas: pairing them up with the symbol and feast of the Pagan sun god was more comfortable for the people who were starting to turn to Christianity.

If he had been executed via any other means, I can't say that the cross would be the symbol of the faith. But it's not the means by which he was killed alone that made it the symbol.
Actually that is speculation as well.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
Huh??
The cross was Rome's way of prolonging death and suffering, being crucified was one of the worst ways to die. The cross was viewed anything but a symbol of life. It was a horrific symbol that slowly lost its impact as Rome stopped crucifying people and the images of suffering faded from the collective minds of the citizens.

As for the symbol for Christianity, even though it was a symbol of death and for the Jews cursed symbol - being nailed to a tree,i.e., wood was considered to be a curse for the Old Testament Jews. Christians took it as a symbol of victory over death.
Huh? ?
While the cross was an ancient Roman torture device, it had other meanings and interpretations as well. The Romans didn't invent the wheel.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Actually that is speculation as well.
Well I learned it in a theology course at a Jesuit university, so I choose to believe it.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 07:16 AM

Well I learned it in a theology course at a Jesuit university, so I choose to believe it.
I have no problems with you choosing to believe it. I was just pointing out it was speculation as well.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 07:46 AM

I don't understand some Christians and their fascination with wearing a symbol of execution. What if Christ was killed with a guilotine(sp?)?

It's His resurrection that is far more profound.
I don't understand some Christians and their fascination with His resurrection.

It's what he said when he was alive that is far more profound. Many Christians seem to be missing the point entirely.

<<<Not religious, but quite likes Jesus (the man, not the legend).

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Way it runs over here: A crucifix (as favoured by Catholics) is a symbol of His death. An empty cross is a symbol of His sacrifice and resurrection (because He's not on it).
The Crucifix is not worn on one's neck. It is kept in places where you pray. It is to remind one of Crist's suffering and sacrifice. You are very correct on the empty cross.

It is a symbol of life, resurrection, hope, renewal, sacrifice and divinity. It is a core symbol of Christianity and it is sad to see the Heretics deny it. Heresy is running rampant in N-America. Why don't they call themselves something else than Christians? Because misinformation suits the devil.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 07:52 AM

I have no problems with you choosing to believe it. I was just pointing out it was speculation as well.
What is speculation? That early Christian missionaries took existing religious structures and made them their own? Because that's a fact. Nothing wrong with it either.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache
I don't understand some Christians and their fascination with His resurrection.

It's what he said when he was alive that is far more profound. Many Christians seem to be missing the point entirely.

<<<Not religious, but quite likes Jesus (the man, not the legend).
Good stuff

But to answer your first line: it is because Christ was the Son of God (or so us Christians claim) and He sacrificed his Son to clean mankind of their sin. This was very important. But there is more. Then Christ is ressurected and conquers death. Proving he is devine and his words are true. Christianity came to be because Christ died and was ressurected.

Oddly there are other religions that have an opinion on this, like Islam. In Islam they vehemently deny Christ ever died. Before he was put on any cross or killed he was simply whisked up to heaven by his daddy. But that's another story..

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Because misinformation suits the devil.

cheers

I'm not laughing at nor mocking your beliefs, I just think it's funny to see someone invoke the devil and then sign off on such a positive note.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 07:58 AM

I'm not laughing at nor mocking your beliefs, I just think it's funny to see someone invoke the devil and then sign off on such a positive note.

No pasa nada. I can see the humor in it. My faith is strong however and the power of God is with those who believe. The tempter is nothing if you don't let him into your soul.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2005, 08:02 AM

The Crucifix is not worn on one's neck. It is kept in places where you pray. It is to remind one of Crist's suffering and sacrifice.
I'm not too well up on Catholic crucifix practice, but there seems to be an awful lot of crucifix necklaces available?

For example.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 08:09 AM

Christianity came to be because Christ died and was ressurected.
Maybe so. Or maybe it was enough that Jesus lived. He had a following already, you know.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
I'm not too well up on Catholic crucifix practice, but there seems to be an awful lot of crucifix necklaces available?

For example.
You are right, that crucifix pendants exist - but the empty cross is the one that is predominant. The empty cross is what the clergy wears. They never don a crucifix.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache
Maybe so. Or maybe it was enough that Jesus lived. He had a following already, you know.
Well to put it another way.. Christianity would not be like we know it had Christ not died and been resurrected

I do not doubt that he would still have a following. In fact he does, e.g. in Islam.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
SWF proving again, he has no clue.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 08:20 AM

It is a symbol of life, resurrection, hope, renewal, sacrifice and divinity. It is a core symbol of Christianity and it is sad to see the Heretics deny it. Heresy is running rampant in N-America. Why don't they call themselves something else than Christians? Because misinformation suits the devil.

cheers

W-Y
Because most of the US is Christian. It's that anti-Christian zealots that are just very vocal that makes you think otherwise. Such things usually go hand in hand with insecurity with ones beliefs.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
What is speculation? That early Christian missionaries took existing religious structures and made them their own? Because that's a fact. Nothing wrong with it either.
No, I am speaking about the Cross. The using of the Cross specifically. That isn't factual.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2005, 08:21 AM

You are right, that crucifix pendants exist - but the empty cross is the one that is predominant. The empty cross is what the clergy wears. They never don a crucifix.
OK, thanks for the info W-Y.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 09:03 AM

Heh. You are echoing my words from my days of religious debate in the lounge. Wouldn't it be messed up to see little guillitiones on top of steeples? Or what if he was drawn and quartered. Yikes. In any event, if aliens ever visit our planet they're going to think all the christians are morbid weirdos for having little symbols of boards that some guy was stapled to.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 09:06 AM

Huh??

The world DID exist before Jesus, and the cross meant many things before that. Even before Rome.

http://altreligion.about.com/library...ldefssolar.htm

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 09:11 AM

No, I am speaking about the Cross. The using of the Cross specifically. That isn't factual.
The cross is an ancient religious symbol that was in use way before the birth of Christianity.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
Heh. You are echoing my words from my days of religious debate in the lounge.
And it was silly back then too.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 09:13 AM

The cross is an ancient religious symbol that was in use way before the birth of Christianity.
Not really worth mentioning, because he won't admit it. Nor will he admit that Zoroaster in mesopotamia was the one who started the whole one god thing with heaven and hell, which christianity later just stole and incorporated.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 09:15 AM

AGAIN, not something I am arguing.

Just because it was USED BEFORE, doesn't equate = copied.

The cross is a very basic symbol.

That is like saying because One person uses a large circle in their logo, anyone else doing so is copying.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 09:18 AM

Not really worth mentioning, because he won't admit it.
I wont? I just did. It wasn't something I was arguing. Sometimes I think you don't even read posts Rob. You just post a reply to what you assume someone said, or is going to say. You really make yourself look silly in this approach.
Nor will he admit that Zoroaster in mesopotamia was the one who started the whole one god thing with heaven and hell, which christianity later just stole and incorporated.
I wont admit that because it's not a fact. It's a beliefe.
And BTW, the thought of such places could very well existed even before Zoroaster. Just because that is the first known "writing" of such beliefs does not = first started.

And Chrsitianity is a relatively NEW religious based on a MUCH OLDER ONE. One that has not, and probably cannot be dated. At least no one has been able to so far.

Guesses, yes. Facts, no.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 09:18 AM

AGAIN, not something I am arguing.

Just because it was USED BEFORE, doesn't equate = copied.

The cross is a very basic symbol.

That is like saying because One person uses a large circle in their logo, anyone else doing so is copying.
This I agree with. The Cross is a way too basic symbol to assume it can't be "invented" time and time again in different and unrelated circumstances.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 09:20 AM

I wont admit it because it's not factual.
Actually it is. Study history.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 09:24 AM

Actually it is. Study history.
Rob, I've studied history back when you were still pooping in your pants.

I am not saying said man didn't exist, and said man didn't have ideas of Heaven and Hell. I am not arguing that.

I am saying there is NO WAY to prove he was the FIRST to have such ideas.

It's simply not possible.

I am sorry if that busted your little bubble.

Learn to offer better arguements up to the plate. Ones that aren't so easily knocked down.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 09:27 AM

Rob, I've studied history back when you were still pooping in your pants.

I am not saying said man didn't exist, and said man didn't have ideas of Heaven and Hell. I am not arguing that.

I am saying there is NO WAY to prove he was the FIRST to have such ideas.

It's simply not possible.

I am sorry if that busted your little bubble.

Learn to offer better arguements up to the plate. Ones that aren't so easily knocked down.
Dude. I've read specifically in text books that Christianity adopted his ideas. You lose.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2005, 09:31 AM

The world DID exist before Jesus, and the cross meant many things before that. Even before Rome.
Never said it wasn't and while symbols like the cross were probably used before Christianity, in roman times it was not viewed as a positive symbol. I objected that the christian church used the cross because it was a postive pagen symbol. It was the other way around because Jesus paid the ultimate sacrifise people like to identify witht that by using the cross.

Mike

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 09:34 AM

I objected that the christian church used the cross because it was a postive pagen symbol. It was the other way around because Jesus paid the ultimate sacrifise people like to identify witht that by using the cross.

Mike
Ah. Suppose you're correct then, more guilt per oz that way.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2005, 09:35 AM

Dude. I've read specifically in text books that Christianity adopted his ideas. You lose.
Yes and there are textbooks that say Christopher Columbus discovered America.

But we know there was people here before that too.

Rob, you aren't being what you like to call yourself. Logical.

Christianity got the concept of Heaven and Hell from the Old Testement.

The stories and beliefs in said book have not been dated. Why? No one can date them. No one knows when the first actual time someone repeated said story.

You cannot in ANY WAY prove this man was the first person to talk about the concept of heaven and hell.

There is simply no way to do such a thing.

Understand? If you actually don't understand what I am talking about, please say so. If you are just arguing because you want to be right regardless of the fact that you are dead wrong, then go argue with some cops or something.

Forum Links
Forum Rules