Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > InDesign > Automatic Invoice Numbering?

InDesign > Automatic Invoice Numbering?
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 01:43 AM

Is there a way to do invoice numbers in indesign? I have a 2-up blank invoice that I need 50 copies of, but each page needs to have two unique numbers on them (2 because they are 2-up)

So in other words, they need two sets of numbers, 100-149 on the left and 150-199 on the right. AND its carbon copy so each number pair needs to print twice.

So page one would have 100 & 150
Page two would also have 100 & 150
Page three and four would have 101 & 151
Page five and six would have 102 & 152

And so on.

Whether I have to just copy my one page, and somehow automatically propagate the invoice number fields...
or just use my one page, and use a printing tool to just print 50 copies using the invoice 'rules' i need.

Any thoughts?

They are carbonless copy invoices, so the printings will go white yellow white yellow etc, then they are 2-up so once they are done i'll chop em down the middle and stack them into a single 50 pair booklet

andi*pandi
Oct 29, 2008, 03:55 PM

why not just print two copies of the document?

auto page numbering and spreads should help. You can have indesign print the smaller pages as spreads, so it will end up 2up.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 03:57 PM

The paper comes pre-collated, so it has to be in order. That is, two copies of each set of numbers, then repeat.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2008, 01:33 AM

I think a different approach to this problem might be a way of somehow scripting or automating the filling in of text boxes? Each page only has two text boxes, both are for numbers. It would be pretty easy to come up with the formula to put a number in each box.

andi*pandi
Oct 30, 2008, 05:20 PM

Print two copies, but don't collate the printing. You will get two copies in a row of the same thing.

and no need for formula, use auto page numbering, and set the first page of the document to 100 (or whatever).

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2008, 05:28 PM

How do I actually GET the numbers on the pages?

Also if this works, it really only half works because its 2-up so i need the page number on the left and then the page number plus 25 on the right

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 05:07 PM

I legit can't figure out how to get page numbers on the page. I just went through a whole google page of tutorials. The menu items either aren't there, or they are there but greyed out. Can anyone clue me in here. It occurred to me that I can just do the left side and right side as two different documents, so they can each have their own invoice numbers as page numbers. Assuming you are correct about the non-collated 2 copy printing. Which I would love to check out in person but I can't get the page numbers on the pages!!!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2008, 08:56 PM

On the master for the page in question, just create a regular text box and then go to Type -> Insert special character -> Markers -> Current page number. That should insert the page number on any page based on the master you’re editing.

Then go to the page you want to start at (not the master, but the page itself) and go to Layout -> Numbering & Section Options. There you can choose where to start page numbering.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2008, 06:19 AM

Ok I got it. Is there any way to add leading zeros? I need 4 digit invoice numbers. Like 0401 instead of 401 ?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2008, 03:11 PM

So NOW my problem is I can't see to print at all when my page numbers don't start at 1. they happen to be pages 401 + 450. But when I print, i get an error in my printer 'no pages found'. I suspect I'm just going to be entering in a whole lot of number manually.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2008, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
So NOW my problem is I can't see to print at all when my page numbers don't start at 1. they happen to be pages 401 + 450. But when I print, i get an error in my printer 'no pages found'. I suspect I'm just going to be entering in a whole lot of number manually.
Your pages are still (for printing purposes) called page 1, 2, 3, etc. Look at the “Pages” panel, there’s the InDesign page number. That’s not necessarily the same number as the number you give it in page numbering.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by peter123 View Post
hi,

What is Indesign? Where we can use Indesign? Indesign and Illustrator works same?

Thanks
Smells like spam to me...

Forum Links
Forum Rules