Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Looking For a Mac OS 9 Scripter

Looking For a Mac OS 9 Scripter
Dyyryath
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2003, 12:43 PM

I'm an administrator for a newspaper in North Carolina. I generally handle all of our online systems (web servers, DNS servers, mail servers, firewalls, etc), but I also handle most of the 'quickie script' kind of tasks that come up since I have an extensive programming background.

Unfortunately, I *don't* have any background with the Macintosh.

We've got a situation where we need a small app to run on a Mac that will allow a user to download some files from an FTP server, rename them according to a set scheme, and store them locally. Since we don't have anyone in house who can write such an app, though, the IS director has come up with a pretty ugly work around that would involve a go-between server & a web interface. I'd like to avoid that, so I'm going to suggest that they find someone outside the company and pay them a small fee to write what should be a really simple little app. If it were on a Unix or Windows box, I could do it in an hour or two.

Before I go to management with this idea, though, it'd be helpful if I had some idea whether I was going to be able to find someone willing to do it.

So...anyone here interested? I'm probably going to suggest to management that $100-$200 isn't out of the question (I do these types of things for other companies with Unix & Windows scripts and that's about what I'd charge for this).

Camelot
Mac Elite
May 21, 2003, 01:02 AM

The description of your needs sounds pretty straightforward, and can quite easily be done via AppleScript.

I'd be happy to help you out. PM me if you want to discuss further
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Brass
Professional Poster
May 21, 2003, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by Dyyryath:
I'm an administrator for a newspaper in North Carolina. I generally handle all of our online systems (web servers, DNS servers, mail servers, firewalls, etc), but I also handle most of the 'quickie script' kind of tasks that come up since I have an extensive programming background.

Unfortunately, I *don't* have any background with the Macintosh.

We've got a situation where we need a small app to run on a Mac that will allow a user to download some files from an FTP server, rename them according to a set scheme, and store them locally. Since we don't have anyone in house who can write such an app, though, the IS director has come up with a pretty ugly work around that would involve a go-between server & a web interface. I'd like to avoid that, so I'm going to suggest that they find someone outside the company and pay them a small fee to write what should be a really simple little app. If it were on a Unix or Windows box, I could do it in an hour or two.

Before I go to management with this idea, though, it'd be helpful if I had some idea whether I was going to be able to find someone willing to do it.

So...anyone here interested? I'm probably going to suggest to management that $100-$200 isn't out of the question (I do these types of things for other companies with Unix & Windows scripts and that's about what I'd charge for this).
You can get MacPERL for Mac OS 9. It's not as complete as PERL itself, on most other systems (including OS X), but if you're a programmer yourself, you might find it quite easy, and it may be all you need.

Forum Links
Forum Rules