Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Fix: Strange black box around active region in all apps?

Fix: Strange black box around active region in all apps?
sra
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2008, 03:37 PM

Suddenly this afternoon a very strange thing happened to my system. In virtually all apps on my machine, a black outline appears around a region: typically it's the region where input might be expected, but not always. Sometimes in Safari it's a region at the top of a page, and when the page is scrolled it moves out from under the box (whose location doesn't change as the content under it is scrolled). This is really a nuisance ... it happens not only in Apple apps (Safari, Mail, Finder ...) but in others too (FireFox, AquaMacs [box around the scroll bars at the side of the window], TeXShop [box around text drawn in the previewer], etc.). The box only appears in one App at a time: when I switch from one to another as the active window, the box remains in the old one until I do something in the new one, at which point a new box appears in the active window (and the old one disappears). And sometimes the box goes away for a while, until I do something in some app that causes it to re-appear.

This seems to be something that only happens in my account: when I log in as Guest, there are no boxes.

Logging in and out -- even restarting -- doesn't alter it. The only event I can think of that led to this was switching from one wireless keyboard to another, at which point I hit a bunch of random keys on the new keyboard to wake it up. Does this sound like something that could actually be triggered by some keyboard "shortcut"? Since it doesn't seem to limited to any one app or group of apps, I assume this is something at the system level, but I can't find any preference that seems relevant.

Any help will be much appreciated.

All very puzzling. Running 10.5.4 on a dual-quad MacPro with 30" Cinema Display.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2008, 03:46 PM

Sounds like Universal Access. Check your System Preferences.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

sra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Sounds like Universal Access. Check your System Preferences.
That was it. I must have somehow hit Apple-F5 and turned on "Voice Over," though why that would cause the drawing of these boxes I don't know. Anyway, turning that off fixed it. Thanks!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2008, 04:24 PM

VoiceOver puts a black box around the item it's currently reading.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules