Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > User webpages on SnowLeopard Server?

User webpages on SnowLeopard Server?
sra
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2009, 12:23 PM

Help! I have an XServe that runs our Department's server. In the past, it has always been possible for users to put their own web pages in ~user/Sites and have them be externally accessed as http://(server_IP)/~user. I just "upgraded" to Snow Leopard server, and now I discover that all of my users' sites are invisible. I can find no information about user web sites in the (risible) documentation that came with the 10.6 server disks: how can I restore access to my users' sites?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2009, 01:54 PM

You need to enable the mod_userdir Apache module.

sra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2009, 01:58 PM

Yes, I tracked that down on one of the Apple discussion groups. No idea why they would have changed this, with the only documentation being a mention buried in the web services admin manual where there's no reason to expect people would look when just doing an upgrade. But at least it's easy to fix.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2009, 02:07 PM

I would suggest, instead of the userdir thing, that you look into creating subdomains for your users:

you.yourdomain.com
anotherguy.yourdomain.com

This way, with your applications you can reference the path "/" and have that mean your document root in your home directory, rather than the root of the entire domain (in /Library/WebServer, or whatever the path is these days)

sra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2009, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but (a) the domain name ("www.ling.yale.edu") is already long, and substituting user names for the www here would require constant requests to those who maintain Yale's address tables; (b) the things people want to put in their userdirs are just fairly simple websites, and sticking those in their own ~/Sites/ works fine; and (c) what you suggest would require regular administrative attention when people decide to start or stop using this functionality, and we don't have anybody to give that job to.

I may be missing some things here (professionally, I'm a professor of Linguistics and not an IT support guy), but just enabling the userdir module works pretty well for us.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2009, 02:58 PM

Cool, in that case the userdirs sound perfect!

Forum Links
Forum Rules