Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > GoLive 9 and Lion - and Beyond (10.7-10.9)

GoLive 9 and Lion - and Beyond (10.7-10.9)
Thorzdad
Jul 26, 2011, 10:15 AM

Anyone happen to try using Abobe GoLive 9 on Lion? GL9 was the only Universal version of the app. So, in theory, it should work in Lion. But, judging from the fallout in the ongoing Lion thread, it looks like some apps that should work in Lion, may not.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2011, 11:40 AM

You're still using GoLive? I thought any GoLive users would have switched to Dreamweaver long ago. Don't have an answer for your compatibility question (sorry).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Thorzdad  (op)
Jul 26, 2011, 11:47 AM

Dreamweaver CS5 is a horrible excuse of an app. GL9 is a far more polished and usable app, despite its age. I've remarked elsewhere that Dreamweaver feels like the WYSIWYG app that developers who hate WYSIWYG apps would create, just to prove themselves right.

gjnelson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2011, 04:32 PM

Just installed Lion, my GoLive does not appear to work. I'll see what I can do. I've been waiting for the day that I would be "forced" to move to Dreamweaver. It really is awful. Folks who have been using Dreamweaver for years, sit down in front of my old GoLive and within 5 minutes they are yelling "GOLIVE IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN DREAMWEAVER!" Adobe bought out "CyberStudio" from the developer "GoLive" renamed the app "GoLive" and had it competing with Dreamweaver for a year or two, then they killed GoLive without taking any of its advantages and putting them into Dreamweaver. They just spoiled their Dreamweaver group by "picking" them and kicking out the old GoLive folks. If I get GoLive working I'll come back to this thread, but kinda thinking maybe this is just the time I finally have to move on up to the future - and what a sad future it is.

Thorzdad  (op)
Dec 29, 2011, 04:45 PM

Does GL9 require Java for any reason? Lion, of course, doesn't come with Java installed.

spazzlor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2012, 05:00 PM

Hello,

Just wanted to confirm that GoLive 9 works fine in Lion. I'm currently using it with OS X 10.7.3.

GoLive CS2 is a PowerPC app and DOES NOT work in Lion.

I switched to GoLive 9 so that I could keep using GoLive to maintain some old sites. The FTP in GoLive 9 is a joke compared to GLCS2, so I just use CyberDuck now for uploading. Other than that, GoLive 9 works fine. Dreamweaver haters, relax, I know, I know.... DW is soooooo much better

Trestor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2012, 05:24 PM

i'll second that confirmation about GoLive 9 working fine with Lion. it's a beautiful thing. Golive users who never tried 9 missed out on something good. It's sleek and wonderful and I hope to use until it no longer works. Any Golive folks who want to trade notes and tips let me know. Been using MenuMachine2 for years to do all my drop down navigation and it's still available as well.

Originally Posted by spazzlor View Post
Hello,

Just wanted to confirm that GoLive 9 works fine in Lion. I'm currently using it with OS X 10.7.3.

GoLive CS2 is a PowerPC app and DOES NOT work in Lion.

I switched to GoLive 9 so that I could keep using GoLive to maintain some old sites. The FTP in GoLive 9 is a joke compared to GLCS2, so I just use CyberDuck now for uploading. Other than that, GoLive 9 works fine. Dreamweaver haters, relax, I know, I know.... DW is soooooo much better

spazzlor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2012, 12:20 PM

Just another confirmation – updated to 10.7.4 and GoLive 9 still works like a charm

As for that ftp function, just to clarify, you can drag files right from the GoLive 9 site window directly to Cyberduck, so I really don't miss the GLCS2 ftp functionality.

The other thing that's great about GoLive 9 is the stability. GLCS2 used to crash on me all the time, but I haven't had a single crash with GoLive 9.

Long live GoLive!

Ralberts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2012, 07:30 AM

Does anyone know how I can get a copy of GoLive 9. Need ASAP to update some sites now that I've upgraded to Lion and Mtn. Lion. Thanks.

Rodgers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2013, 07:54 AM

I need to crash this old thread … I, too, urgently need a copy of GoLive 9. Really home someone can help …

spazzlor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2013, 09:11 PM

Yo GoLive lovers, just checking in to let you know that GoLive 9 works just fine in OS 10.9 "Mavericks". When you first fire it up, you may be asked to update Java, but then it starts up as normal.

I was concerned, because I saw a post over at Adobe that seemed to indicate GoLive wasn't working in 10.8 (Adobe Community: 1. Will GL7&9 work in Lion, Mountain Lion?) - I actually skipped right over 10.8... I updated to Mavericks from 10.7.5, so perhaps it doesn't work in 10.8. But I don't care, because it works fine in 10.9!

Yeah, yeah, haters - we know, we know - GoLive is as out-of-date as mullets and beanie babies. Frankly, I don't care! All my new work is done from scratch or in Dreamweaver, but I have several old sites that I maintain for clients that are just simpler to update if I fire them up in GoLive.

GoLive 9 lovers, enjoy!

andi*pandi
Oct 27, 2013, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the update!

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 28, 2013, 07:15 AM

laughingbunny
Oct 29, 2013, 10:39 AM

This is the first time I've heard of it, is there a free version for trail?

andi*pandi
Oct 29, 2013, 10:51 AM

Go Live is very old software, owned by Adobe, but then abandoned.

you can download most adobe cs2 products for free, found this link via google:

Adobe GoLive CS2 Free Download - TechSpot

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 29, 2013, 10:53 AM

GL9 was the last version of GoLive. It was also a universal app, so it can run on Intel-based Macs. It was released as a download-only option for CS3 owners, who were less-than-happy with Adobe's inclusion of Dreamweaver (instead of GL). It was released in 2007.

laughingbunny
Oct 29, 2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Go Live is very old software, owned by Adobe, but then abandoned.

you can download most adobe cs2 products for free, found this link via google:

Adobe GoLive CS2 Free Download - TechSpot
Thanks! I guess I'll try it out

and you go to techspot too? That's so cool =D

andi*pandi
Oct 29, 2013, 11:08 AM

google sent me to techspot, when I couldn't find it on adobe's site for some reason.

laughingbunny
Oct 29, 2013, 11:09 AM

i see, thanks =)

spazzlor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2014, 06:20 PM

OK, I'm back for my yearly post! I've just updated to Yosemite, and I couldn't resist giving GoLive 9 a test - and sure enough, it works just fine! As with the Mavericks update, Mac OS X will ask you to do a Java dance before you can open GoLive the first time:

But once you've done that, it's smooth sailing.

So why bother with ancient, out-of-date, long-abandoned GoLive? Same reason as I posted before - I maintain some legacy websites for clients that were built long ago in GoLive, and frankly, it's just easier (OK, OK, I'm lazy!) to continue to edit them in GoLive 9. This is not software that you want to start using now!

So if there are any other GoLive 9 hanger-ons out there, no Yosemite fears here, keep on trucking!

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 26, 2014, 06:45 PM

Good to hear! Many thanks!

michaelp100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2014, 10:38 PM

Dear Thread Folks from past few years...
I've been using golive cs2 since 2006. But since 2011 my old laptop stopped working,,, i was broke at the time and didn't get a new computer until 2012 and wasn't able to invest the time then to figure out how to get golive up and running and then was working two jobs and had no time to update my artist website. Fortunately, i've got a bit of time right now, and this morning i was able to get my broken laptop working, but at a snails pace. Given the earlier posts I can't find CS3's Adobe GoLive9 anywhere to download. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to find GL9 so I can get it working on my OS10.7.5 computer?
Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions

andi*pandi
Nov 17, 2014, 05:10 PM

Adobe has all the golive versions here, but not 9!
Adobe - GoLive : For Macintosh

Thorzdad  (op)
Nov 17, 2014, 05:26 PM

GL 9 was a download-only option for purchasers of, I think, CS3 (or whichever CS version they first added Dreamweaver) It didn't come with CS3. It's the only version of GoLive that was a universal app, so it can run natively on Intel Macs. I'm not surprised Adobe doesn't make it available.

If you have access to Usenet, you might be able to snag it there, if you search hard enough.

Forum Links
Forum Rules