Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > emac 2 in 2 months

emac 2 in 2 months
xfallstopiecesx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2003, 03:28 AM

maybe someonecan knock some sense into me,or is it just everyone has troubles with their emac?

Bought one,had it for a day..and had the "raster problem" so i got another,and heres where my problem has occured......... again.

I booted in os9,and the finder locked up,so i restarted..now the little ?/finder logo thing appears when i startup..i tried doing disk repair etc..looked at apple.com for help..but still the same thing..maybe someone here could help?

mike
It's not a sailboat,its a scooner

rytc
Senior User
Feb 4, 2003, 12:16 PM

Do you normally run OS X or OS 9 on it?
On my iBook I normally run OS X, I booted into OS 9 it hung, I restarted and like you I got the flashing startup disk icon. I booted up using a Norton rescue CD and I nearly freaked out when a message came up telling me the HD was unreadable and did I want to erase it! HOWEVER and bizarely booting up with the OS X CD showed nothing at all wrong, the HD showed up fine in disk first aid and no probs were found, running permissions made no diff either. SO I just did an upgrade of Jag keeping my files and prefs intact and its been all fine since then. Strangely however the Norton CD still doesn't load my HD, it simply says its unreadable and needs to be erased, I'd like to know why it says that when it is actually fine. Even more stranger is that the CD had always booted the iBook fine up to that point...

hope that helps
cheers ry

xfallstopiecesx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2003, 02:08 PM

I usually run Osx jag. i did the first aid,and hardware check ..etc says the hd is fine and all,i just dont know what to do go get it to start up though?
It's not a sailboat,its a scooner

Forum Links
Forum Rules