Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Has anyone noticed that the light...

Has anyone noticed that the light...
tyrelle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 01:27 AM

on the 12'' glows like it's breathing when it's sleeping...meaning first it's dim and then it's a little brigher.

I'm a switcher..so maybe this has always been the case..but it kind of interesting a little to say the least.

skyman
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by tyrelle:
on the 12'' glows like it's breathing when it's sleeping...meaning first it's dim and then it's a little brigher.

I'm a switcher..so maybe this has always been the case..but it kind of interesting a little to say the least.
Yes, is has always been this way. Welcome to the Mac!!!

BluThng
Mar 20, 2003, 01:36 AM

And has anyone noticed that the 17" keyboard lighting is white instead of blue? What's up with that? Its coolness factor dropped a bit....but its still cool.
iN THe eND, iT DoeSN'T ReaLLy MaTTeR

| PowerBook G4 | 15.2" | 1.25GHz | 512MB | Combo | 60GB | AE | BT |

Karim
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 01:45 AM

Even though for me the color doesn't change the coolness factor, it appears more to be blueish-white than pure white. So don't cancel your order

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2003, 01:46 AM

Yeah all(?) macs do this.

Also if you have a ACD connected the sleep lights will sync up (well i know the cube did, this may have changed)..
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

tyrelle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by BluThng:
And has anyone noticed that the 17" keyboard lighting is white instead of blue? What's up with that? Its coolness factor dropped a bit....but its still cool.
oh it's not blue..hmm..ok i can live with white...i guess..but u know once you go blue u don't wanna go back ..lol

tyrelle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 01:51 AM

It's still so new to me after 1 whole day...lol. I'm gonna check out those video clips of the OS X apple is offering..just got a email about that.

Thx for the welcome..i feel at home here.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 03:52 AM

It's not new. But yeah. It is definitely damn cool.

I don't know why people are so surprised that the light is not blue. The 17-inch in the movie Apple provided us was a 3D model, not an actual Powerbook. Also, the white light makes it easier to see in the dark than the blue (thus less light is needed).

Sorry, I'm just surprised that you're surprised. But I still think it's cool as sh**!
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2003, 05:21 AM

The truth is if you go look at the movie the letters themselves are WHITE. However, there is clearly a blue hue between the keys themselves.

It certainly is not unreasonable to expect the keyboard to look the same in person as it did in the movie. The "3D model" was used in their advertising, which you would expect to depict an accurate representation of the real thing.

I don't think it's a big deal really, but I think it's silly to say that people shouldn't expect their new PB's too look exactly as they did in the advertising.

Originally posted by badnewsblair:
It's not new. But yeah. It is definitely damn cool.

I don't know why people are so surprised that the light is not blue. The 17-inch in the movie Apple provided us was a 3D model, not an actual Powerbook. Also, the white light makes it easier to see in the dark than the blue (thus less light is needed).

Sorry, I'm just surprised that you're surprised. But I still think it's cool as sh**!
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2003, 05:37 AM

It's one of those little things. Macs have been doing that since '99 (on desktops, it's the power button that pulses, the flat-panel iMac has a little pinpoint of light in a corner of the display frame).

-s*

snct
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2003, 10:02 AM

I first noticed it on the iBook, where there is a hazy edge around the light to give it even more of an effect. The one on the FP iMac does glow dim and bright also, but since it's got a hard edge around it, it's more difficult to tell except in a very dark room. I agree that it is one of those unique things that Apple does with it's hardware... Very cool .
--Steve

Svaia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 10:43 AM

It also has the same effect on Pismo PB.... And as i remember those came in February 2000.
(Whow, i had the same computer for 3 years!) 17" PB coming tomorrow thou. I�ll miss my Pismo.....

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2003, 01:54 PM

tee hee, switchers are so funny.

welcome!
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

real
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2003, 03:48 PM

badnewblair Do we kow for a fact that the movie with the lights is a 3D model or did they just do a hue shift, It seems to me that Doing all that in 3d would a waste of time and money (granted apple does most likey have models from R&D but to make those look good for movie would be over kill on rendering and a shaders time)when All you need to do is shift the hue some, I don't know, but Thats what I would have done.
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules