Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Will my new PDA work with my mac?

Will my new PDA work with my mac?
tyrelle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2003, 11:38 PM

My frat bought me a PDA, dell axim x5, for committee work. Will it work with sync with my mac..it has bluetooth. I think.

slider
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2003, 11:54 PM

Well I don't know about bluetooth, but you will need PocketMac to sync it. This is a $70 piece of software. I have not used it, I am just aware of the program. Good luck.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2003, 12:47 AM

The X5 doesn't have bluetooth. You'll need PocketMac to sync it via USB.

tyrelle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2003, 12:49 AM

Ok.thanks for all the replies. Glad i didn't open it.

Any good recommendations? Never had a pda before.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2003, 03:48 AM

Originally posted by tyrelle:

Sony Clies all the way.

"Barwaraaawww"

mbryda
Senior User
Mar 29, 2003, 09:15 AM

Ditch the Dell. (hey, that's a good slogan!) Palm Tungsten T works awesome. As do The Clie's...

slider
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2003, 11:01 AM

Yes, both the Palm offerings and the Sony Clie offerings are good choices, but if you go with the sony Clie you'll need a $30 third party piece of software for some functionability, but it's worth it, my take is that Clies tend to offer more bang for the buck and adding the software is covered in the price difference. You have a lot of choices between these two, if you only need basic functionabiltiy you could save some cash and get one of the less expensive models for use as a calender, address book type of things, these run Palm 4.x, but if you need something more like a handheld computer you should look at the something running Palm 5.x, which tend to run alittle more money $400-$800 depending on what you're looking for.

Good hunting

tyrelle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2003, 11:12 AM

Thanks everyone one for the suggestions. I looked over both the Tungsten T and the Clie. I think the most important thing in choosing one is the sync between it and my powerbook..that's what i'll pitch to the group.

I must say the Tungsten T looks really good as well as the W.

malemutekid
Mar 29, 2003, 02:34 PM

I use a Sony Clie PEG-S320(discontinued), and it works with isync and hotsync, and i did not have to pay $30. Everything I needed was a free download.
Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2003, 02:58 PM

Clies with the Mp3 function require Missing Sync, as well as if you want to mount a Memory Stick ( Who would want to do that?)

I sync my Clie SJ30 using Palm 4.0 only, on 10.2.4.

Never had a single issue.

The Clie is the best product out there IMO.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 29, 2003, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by glideslope:
Clies with the Mp3 function require Missing Sync, as well as if you want to mount a Memory Stick ( Who would want to do that?)
Mounting of memory sticks is a great function, since it allows you to copy any file over to your clie very quickly, and without having to get a seperate USB adapter. It also allows iTunes and iPhoto access to your clie.

I just got a clie PEG-TG50, and overall I am impressed. I sync it with Entourage.

mbryda
Senior User
Mar 29, 2003, 05:14 PM

Thanks everyone one for the suggestions. I looked over both the Tungsten T and the Clie. I think the most important thing in choosing one is the sync between it and my powerbook..that's what i'll pitch to the group.

I must say the Tungsten T looks really good as well as the W.
I have the T, upgraded from a Hanspring Visor and it's great. Perfect form factor, Mac support out of the box, and the screen is AMAZING (as are the Clie's HiRez screens)!!! Also, the speed is amazing.

However, I'd pass on the W - it uses the old CPU and the older OS, and will most likely be slow compared to the T. I'd definitely spring for the T over the W. IMHO, Palm really dropped the ball with the W....

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2003, 11:54 PM

Clies are cool, but they tend to be too proprietary - Memory Stick, non-standard high-resoltion, virtual graffiti, etc. If you want a keyboard, don't get a Clie, they have terrible ones. And the camera Clies are very bulky. I like my Tungsten T just because it's tiny, powerful and I can take it anywhere.

I like the Clie SJ-33 except for the teeny-tiny up/down scroll buttons and the stupid Memory Stick slot.

tyrelle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 12:05 AM

Thanks for all the input. I placed an order for a TT and 128mb SD. I'm excited. i've read that I can mount it and use it like a external Hd..is that true?

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2003, 01:08 AM

Thanks for all the input. I placed an order for a TT and 128mb SD. I'm excited. i've read that I can mount it and use it like a external Hd..is that true?
With the Missing Sync for Palm, which is arriving soon, yes. But installing files via HotSync is very sllloooowwww. Invest in a USB or PC Card multimedia card reader. It'll cost you about $30 and is great for digital cameras, too. Music and videos install MUCH faster this way.

tyrelle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 01:11 AM

Ok, thx mate..I'll make a note of that. I'll look for it on ebay.

mbryda
Senior User
Mar 30, 2003, 10:09 AM

You'll love it, esp. if you've used a Palm before. If not, you'll still love it. Palm does PDA functions the best out there - it doesn't try to be everything (like PPC) and good a nothing.

Don't forget to install Docs to Go so you can have your Word, Excel, etc. available to you on the run.

Forum Links
Forum Rules