Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The New 19" PowerBook

The New 19" PowerBook
Biggerfoot
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2003, 09:28 AM

BREAKING NEWS--Apple Announces Gigantic 19" PowerBook G4 Aluminum

Apple has announced the world's widest laptop with the gargantuan 19" PowerBook G4 Aluminum. The price and specifications of this premium semi-portable goliath are staggering and are clearly intended for a very, very small and wealthy audience. Here's the specs from the Apple press release:

CUPERTINO, CALIFORNIA April 1, 2003 Apple today unveiled the 19-inch PowerBook G4, the world's first notebook computer with a 19-inch display, the largest ever in a notebook. Encased in a durable aluminum alloy enclosure, the new PowerBook measures only 1-inch thin and weighs just 8.6 pounds. The 19-inch PowerBook G4 marks the introduction of three "firsts" to portable computing: 1 GB of RAM standard, an 80 GB 7200 RPM disk drive, and the NVIDIA GeForce4 660 Go graphics processor.

"Apple's taking yet another giant leap beyond PC notebooks with the world's first 19-inch notebook, miraculously engineered into an ultra-light aluminum alloy enclosure that's only 1-inch thin," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Many users are going to wonder why they even need a desktop computer anymore."
The rest of the specs remain the same as the 17" PowerBook, apparently. The PowerBook remains mired at 1 GHz with 1 MB of L3 cache, SuperDrive, Gigabit ethernet, FireWire 400/800, Bluetooth, and AirPort Extreme.

For adding two inches, two pounds, half a gig of RAM, 20 GB of disk space, and the fastest graphics processor to ever make it into a portable, Apple is charging an amazing $4,499 and is available only on the Apple Store online without any build to order options. If you have a current 17" PowerBook order pending, you can upgrade to the 19" PowerBook until May 1st for only $1,000 more, or $4,299.

The 19" PowerBook will ship "sometime in May," which we presume is May 31st, if the shipping situation with the 17" PowerBook is any lesson. More details on the new PowerBook are on Apple's website.

(April's Fool thanks to the PBZone)
( Last edited by Biggerfoot; Apr 1, 2003 at 09:34 AM. )

�tomic
Apr 1, 2003, 09:34 AM

yep available May 2003 - Actual shipping date Feb 2005

jtbowden
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2003, 02:45 PM

The only problem with this Appril Fools hoax is that according to the given dimensions, this PowerBook would have a 21.2 inch screen, and not a 19 inch screen. Remember, the screen size is a diagonal measurement.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2003, 03:05 PM

ooooh... nice sig

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2003, 06:12 PM

Hahaha, nice. That's why I love April Fools, and the fact that it's also my birthday for real too. But because it's on April Fools, when I tell people that, most of them don't even believe me then I'll have to show them my id. After that they will just say, "Wow, he's not joking!" hahaha

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules