Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" PB Australia (any News please post it here)

17" PB Australia (any News please post it here) (Page 4)
Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2003, 08:08 PM

No new news, but I wanted to keep the Aussie thread on the first page

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Apr 6, 2003, 09:18 PM

Apple Australia is too busy assigning all the stock for demo models for there to be any news - stuff the customers who have been waiting exactly three months, priority is to get even more people onto that waiting list...

�tomic
Apr 6, 2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
Apple Australia is too busy assigning all the stock for demo models for there to be any news - stuff the customers who have been waiting exactly three months, priority is to get even more people onto that waiting list...

Couldn't agree more with this comment. It just goes to show that customer satisfaction is a low priority for Apple Australia.

And good work Wet Jimmy in keeping the post in view

hlouey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by �tomic:
Couldn't agree more with this comment. It just goes to show that customer satisfaction is a low priority for Apple Australia.

And good work Wet Jimmy in keeping the post in view
Hi all.

From what I have been able to find out in my limited research is the notion that some Apple Centres receiving 10+ units of Apple PB's is false.

Its pretty well established that no more than 15-20 units arrived into Australia last week. As to how many actually made there way into customers hands is up for debate as other than OZAL and someone else from Brisbane in this forum. No other confirmed sighting have been reported. I suspect very few made it out of the Apple Centres to be used as Demo machines.

Still whilst I understand the need to get demo machines into stores. I still cannot understand why Apple are doing nothing for customers that have waited for such a long time (i.e 3 months)

Still patience is a virtue :-)

Regards,

Henry
( Last edited by hlouey; Apr 7, 2003 at 12:13 AM. )

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Apr 7, 2003, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by hlouey:
Still whilst I understand the need to get demo machines into stores. I still cannot understand why Apple are doing nothing for customers that have waited for such a long time (i.e 3 months)
I guess this could be a "window dressing" exercise by Apple Australia.

By having a demo machine in the AppleCentres and dealers, at least if a buyer walks into the store "out of the blue" and say he/she is looking for a 17" PowerBook, the sales reps can claim "Apple had started shipping already, and see it yourself (and then point to the demo unit). It's so hot that it's still on backorder", rather than "We only have 20 units in Australia so far and those went to people who ordered three months ago. We can't even get hold of one for demo!"

How's that?

hlouey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
I guess this could be a "window dressing" exercise by Apple Australia.

By having a demo machine in the AppleCentres and dealers, at least if a buyer walks into the store "out of the blue" and say he/she is looking for a 17" PowerBook, the sales reps can claim "Apple had started shipping already, and see it yourself (and then point to the demo unit). It's so hot that it's still on backorder", rather than "We only have 20 units in Australia so far and those went to people who ordered three months ago. We can't even get hold of one for demo!"

How's that?
Hi all,

Just a quick update. My Tom Bihn Bag has come in from the U.S. I ordered it on Friday Morning (4th) and it arrived this morning (8th)

Its very nicely put together. I'm at work at the moment

But once home I will take some pics and get these posted. Though only on yahoo photos as without a Mac at the moment I can't upload to my .Mac account :-(

Regards,

Henry

spathi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 10:56 PM

I recieved an update from Palaeographics today, previously I had been told they had no clue when they were turning up, and now I have been told the following:

We had our first one come in late last week. Seems Apple allocating very small quantities (1 per Shop). Not sure when we will have more. You are quite early on in the cue.
It's nothing really new, as a few places have gotten them for display models.

This 17" PB was ordered early feb.
17" PB /w 1 gig of ram

grunge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 11:55 PM

Hi everyone

When I picked up my 17" powerbook last Thursday night here in Brisbane, the staff at Infinite Systems indicated that they had received 16 units (I saw them...) - 15 for customers and one for display. They still had 10 or so outstanding backorders. If only 20 came into the country, my suspicion is that they may have been allocated on the basis of when orders were placed by the stores. Infinite claim they placed their order at 6.00am (Oz time) on the day of Keynote, so may have been one of the first cabs off the rank. However, given all the display units around now, I find it hard to believe that there were only 20 all up, given that Infinite git 16!

I guess it is a moot point, and doesn't help you guys who are still waiting, but there are certainly 15 people in Brissy who have one. I can tell you, as hard as it is for you guys, it is absolutely worth the wait. I LOVE this machine. So far, I cannot fault it.

Hang in there guys...

Greg

hlouey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by grunge:
Hi everyone

When I picked up my 17" powerbook last Thursday night here in Brisbane, the staff at Infinite Systems indicated that they had received 16 units (I saw them...) - 15 for customers and one for display. They still had 10 or so outstanding backorders. If only 20 came into the country, my suspicion is that they may have been allocated on the basis of when orders were placed by the stores. Infinite claim they placed their order at 6.00am (Oz time) on the day of Keynote, so may have been one of the first cabs off the rank. However, given all the display units around now, I find it hard to believe that there were only 20 all up, given that Infinite git 16!

I guess it is a moot point, and doesn't help you guys who are still waiting, but there are certainly 15 people in Brissy who have one. I can tell you, as hard as it is for you guys, it is absolutely worth the wait. I LOVE this machine. So far, I cannot fault it.

Hang in there guys...

Greg
Thanks Greg,

It looks like that after the initial rush. PB's shipments into this country have ground to a halt :-(

I wonder how our NZ cousins are fairing.....

Its been quiet on that side of the Tasman :-)

Regards,

Henry

Chuck1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 04:00 AM

Any of you guys going to use a bluetooth phone with your 17"? I've been doing some research... It looked as though the SE T68i was just right for me (price, features etc) but then I read lots of reports that it's reception is the worst of any phone, ever!

Anyone got a nice one? I'm after something that's small, has bluetooth and it would be nice to have a colour display...

Chuck.

grunge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 05:01 AM

Hi Chuck

I have the T68i, and I have to say I have had no problems with it...the powerbook syncs beautifully with it, and with the sony-ericsson clicker software from www.salling.com, you have a great wireless remote for presentations etc. Two of my mates have the T68i also (both also use macs) and they love it too. I have not had any real issues with reception.

Cheers

Greg

MarkyP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 11:51 AM

Hi everyone

Hang in there guys...

Greg

Hi guys,

well I dropped into the sydney store where I ordered my 17" and had a chat with them about this. They have been very up front with me so far and by checking what they tell me with what I can learn from these (and other) forums I believe what they say. And what they say is that this Brisbane store would have ordered directly from Apple america and not through Apple Asia which supplies Australia (via Singapore) because they can track what is coming into the country from them, and they had no records of it. The initial shipment was indeed only about 11 powerbooks and the bad news is that the next shipment due this week has only 3 , this is to give all resellers a demo unit.There is no word on when the next batch is due - probably end of next week .
Surely this would mean the Brisbane computers have U.S. modems which don't have the Australian rating (they will work in this country) and U.S. power plugs ? Can anyone confirm this ?
It sure is painful to see U.S. resellers who have filled all their back orders and are now selling stock and still have no firm dates for getting them here . I don't think Apple Australia is too popular with Apple America at the moment .
Keep up the posts guys...

grunge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 05:06 PM

Hi again

The Brisbane Powerbooks have Aus modems and Aus power supplies only. My impression is that they came through Apple Asia(stickers on the box etc). Infinite are an authorised Apple Reseller, and as such, I don't think they would have any choice but to order through Apple Asia.

The information the resellers have is only as good as their contact at Apple...hence the numerous inconsistencies I think.

Greg

�tomic
Apr 8, 2003, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by MarkyP:
I don't think Apple Australia is too popular with Apple America at the moment .

Even if this is the case, why should the consumers lose out. Im sorry but I'm sick and tired of all the excuses that Apple is giving out. You either ship by a certain date or you dont. This is not a hard concept to follow Apple

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Apr 8, 2003, 06:55 PM

what they say is that this Brisbane store would have ordered directly from Apple america and not through Apple Asia which supplies Australia (via Singapore)
So much for this Sydney store of yours being trustworthy - they themselves, as an Apple dealer, should know an Apple store can't do that.

The initial shipment was indeed only about 11 powerbooks and the bad news is that the next shipment due this week has only 3
More rubbish, there's more than 11 Apple stores throughout Australia with demo machines. Plus there's a handful of Australians reporting on forums they have got their machine plus my partner's brother who works for an Apple dealer here in Adelaide has delivered one to a customer as well. Do the math, more than 11 arrived last week.

That said, I'm definitely not on Apple's side - I am astonished at how f#cked in the head Apple Australia are with their outrageously sh#thouse treatment of us over this matter. A sh#tty batch FINALLY arrives last week, most of it goes straight to demo machines, and now we sit and wait with still no word what the %$^&@ is going on. Oh wait, don't tell me, two weeks...

Gilgad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 07:18 PM

Well one of the other blokes at work and myself both ordered a powerbook the day they were announced. Anyway his arrived yesterday. (Mine may be here before hell freezes over, I hope). Just a bit more confirmation for you all that apple is delivering more than just demo boxes.

�tomic
Apr 8, 2003, 07:20 PM

Chris...I feel your pain brother. Ask yourself this question, would you take this crap from any other retailer if they had done this to you? I think not. So the question remains "Why the hell are we taking this crap from Apple?"

Im not taking the piss out of you because Im in the same boat. Unfortunatley I suffer from the this disease called Macintosh-itis and cant get a hit anywhere else. Apple of course know this and are playing me like a yo-yo.

Bastartds

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Apr 8, 2003, 07:58 PM

Ask yourself this question, would you take this crap from any other retailer if they had done this to you? I think not. So the question remains "Why the hell are we taking this crap from Apple?"
Too right! I've cancelled orders, switched retailers, hell I've walked out out of stores over far less.

I was sooooo close to terminating my order a few weeks ago, would have been great to get all that cash back given I already paid. Ultimately, however, I do need two computers - I have my 800DVI PowerBook but a few months ago I sold my good PC and ditched all my old ones ready for the 17". If it wasn't for that I would have cancelled this order and just waited for the revision B 17" to be IN STOCK later in the year, or waited for the potential dual processor next year, whatever...

Given I still need it and I'd rather stick with OSX (I love it, but have no issue switching back to W2K if I have to), I'd love to cancel my order and go to another store - but sadly because Apple is the only one supplying Apples you'll get exactly the same problem elsewhere.

So ultimately the only choice is to put up with Apple Australia not giving a flying %^&# about us, terminate the order and only have one machine, or termiante the order and purchase a W2K notebook... the latter has crossed my mind more than once...

Chuck1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 07:59 PM

At least we now know they exist.

Until I went in last Friday and had a look, I was convinced it was a big hoax! Now I'm just hoping it will arrive before I go away for Easter.

BTW anyone else using a T68i phone (or other Bluetooth), I really want to know what the best option is for this powerbook. I've read so many reports of bad reception with the 68i that I need more confirmation reports of it being good before I venture down that road.

Waiting with you all...

Chuck.

daemon1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 08:49 PM

I've been a quiet reader of these forums.
Anyway, I've put my order for the 17" in with Maccentric in Chatswood (www.maccentric.com.au).
And it will arrive next week!!

These guys have been keeping me in the loop for the last 2 months! They have gotten about 5 new units every week for the past 2 weeks.
And they have a demo in the store which is sooo nice to play with

I can't wait till next week!!

So, if you order it will definitely come by the end of April (depends on how many people have ordered before you).

/d1

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2003, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by daemon1:
I've put my order for the 17" in with Maccentric in Chatswood (www.maccentric.com.au).
And it will arrive next week!!
Well, I'm glad to hear you've had a good experience at MacCentric, because I had a hell of a time with them, and certainly won't be spending a cent in their stores.

To make a long story short, I had problems with two of their staff members and the general lack of knowledge they posessed, and this caused me to take my money to the Apple Online Store instead. To add insult to injury, when I shot off a letter to the manager of the store just to let him know about some of the issues I was having with his staff, he dismissed the issue and I got the impression he thought I was lying.

At any rate, I hope you DO get your Powerbook by next week, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you...

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Apr 8, 2003, 10:40 PM

Hi again

The Brisbane Powerbooks have Aus modems and Aus power supplies only. My impression is that they came through Apple Asia(stickers on the box etc). Infinite are an authorised Apple Reseller, and as such, I don't think they would have any choice but to order through Apple Asia.

The information the resellers have is only as good as their contact at Apple...hence the numerous inconsistencies I think.

Greg
AUS power suppliy plug can be obtained quite easily from those PowerBook international power pack pack.

Can people who got their 17" PowerBook check their Model number at the bottom of their PowerBook? The key is that official Australian PowerBook (and same thing applies to a lot of Apple hardware) has a slightly different model number than the ones sold in Asia or US. (Aus PB model number is M8793X/A, Asian PB model number would be M8793HK/A or M8793SA/A or M8793CH/A or M8793TA/A or M8793KH/A; Information from http://www.apple.com.au/powerbook/specs.html)

Check the model number and it should be able to show where it's genuine AUS PowerBook or grey import from Asia or US.

If those PowerBook are grey import, then there may be issues with Warranty.

daemon1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 10:42 PM

Forgot to mention, I put my order in yesterday (8th April 2003) and it will come in next week.

wet_jimmy, im sorry to hear about your experience, but all in all, I think when you get your powermac, turn it on for the first time, everything else in the world seems happy and pleasant..

im just hoping my mac doesn't have:
- sizzling sound
- uneven closing lid
- pop-sound
- dead pixels
- uneven trackpad

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Apr 8, 2003, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by Wet Jimmy:
To make a long story short, I had problems with two of their staff members and the general lack of knowledge they posessed, and this caused me to take my money to the Apple Online Store instead. To add insult to injury, when I shot off a letter to the manager of the store just to let him know about some of the issues I was having with his staff, he dismissed the issue and I got the impression he thought I was lying.
Did you get a written reply from the manager? If so, I would say you should send a copy along with your original correspondence to Apple Australia (customer relation manager I guess) and at least let Apple know the hard time you had, and see what sort of things they can do for you.

retroneo
Apr 8, 2003, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Chuck1:
BTW anyone else using a T68i phone (or other Bluetooth), I really want to know what the best option is for this powerbook. I've read so many reports of bad reception with the 68i that I need more confirmation reports of it
I've had a T68i since September last year. Very nice phone. No dropped calls in Melbourne, other than the underground train line. Reception much better than my old Nokia 8250, which dropped calls at least three times a week. I'm so impressed that I can't wait to get the T610, which should be out in July/August.

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2003, 12:50 AM

Did you get a written reply from the manager? If so, I would say you should send a copy along with your original correspondence to Apple Australia (customer relation manager I guess) and at least let Apple know the hard time you had, and see what sort of things they can do for you.
The email coversation bounced backand forth about three times, and at the end of the day I just gave up. I'd informed him of problems with his staff, and his email pretty dismissive. I sent the email originally because I figured if it were MY business, and my staff were turning away seven thousand bucks worth of business on a regular basis I'd want to know about - apparently Heinrick didn't.

I didn't think about sending it to Apple - I wasn't looking for compensation or freebies, I just wanted to "do the right thing" so if the matter never got followed up it's no problem to me. I simply don't shop there, and I'd caution anyone who does to take what the staff say with a grain of salt.

�tomic
Apr 9, 2003, 01:31 AM

The email coversation bounced backand forth about three times, and at the end of the day I just gave up. I'd informed him of problems with his staff, and his email pretty dismissive. I sent the email originally because I figured if it were MY business, and my staff were turning away seven thousand bucks worth of business on a regular basis I'd want to know about - apparently Heinrick didn't.

I didn't think about sending it to Apple - I wasn't looking for compensation or freebies, I just wanted to "do the right thing" so if the matter never got followed up it's no problem to me. I simply don't shop there, and I'd caution anyone who does to take what the staff say with a grain of salt.

They sound like a bunch of ex used car salepeople

grunge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 01:43 AM

Hiya Veryniceguy

I can confirm that the model number of the power book that I am typing this on is M8793X/A - the one listed as being the AUS model.

Greg

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2003, 01:58 AM

They sound like a bunch of ex used car salepeople
If you want a laugh, there is a female salesperson there (I won't write her name) and she really knows ZIP. She'll bullshit on, and baffle the average joe with bullshit, but it's kind of fun to ask her leading questions that you already know the answer to and watch her just pluck **** from the air.

Or you could just go get a real hobby

Chuck1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by retroneo:
I've had a T68i since September last year. Very nice phone. No dropped calls in Melbourne, other than the underground train line. Reception much better than my old Nokia 8250, which dropped calls at least three times a week. I'm so impressed that I can't wait to get the T610, which should be out in July/August.
Wow, that T610 looks like a nice phone! I bet it'll be expensive... I'm starting to think of maybe asking for a satisfaction period with the T68i. Can you tell me if it's functionality is good? My friend who had one for a while said that sometimes the joystick action would keep scrolling etc when he'd stopped applying pressure...

Well at least this is one thing I can keep doing while I wait for that elusive 17".

Chuck.

Nebuchadnezzer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 11:42 AM

Wow, that T610 looks like a nice phone! I bet it'll be expensive... I'm starting to think of maybe asking for a satisfaction period with the T68i. Can you tell me if it's functionality is good? My friend who had one for a while said that sometimes the joystick action would keep scrolling etc when he'd stopped applying pressure...
My T68i works flawlessly and has great reception. Bluetooth is fine with the headset, but as I lost the Bluetooth module for my TiBook I haven't done much with it. The phone replaced a T39 and is much better.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:

Rang Apple today. The customer service lady said that 100 odd 17 inch powerbooks have been delivered so far in Oz. They are expecting another 100 later this week and "guarantee" to fulfil all orders placed prior to March 31 by the end of April. Not much longer then...

My reseller doesn't even have a display unit yet so my hopes aren't high. After waiting 2 months for my original TiBook I told myself it couldn't happen again. Now 3 months and counting...

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Apr 9, 2003, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Nebuchadnezzer:
They are expecting another 100 later this week
Today is Thursday, it already IS later this week

Originally posted by Nebuchadnezzer:
and "guarantee" to fulfil all orders placed prior to March 31 by the end of April.
Yeah bullsh#t. Let's do some quick math. From those I've spoken with to date last week barely a handful of orders were fulfilled, so let's exaggerate that to 25% (which is an absolutely rediculous exaggerated figure, it'd be more like 5%-10%). That means 100 PowerBooks satisfied 25%, meaning we need another 300 to satisfy remaining orders. With 100 coming a week that means beginning of May before the orders are delivered - that's FOUR F#CKING MONTHS SINCE WE ORDERED!!!!

Of course the situation must be much, much, much worse - not only were 25% of orders NOT satisfied, but if that was the case then this means there are only 400 17" PowerBook's on order for the whole of Australia.... yeeeaaaaaahhhhhh right.

Then again, how many customers (especially potential switchers) have walked away in complete hysterics over this bullsh#t? It really is a complete joke, I'm amazed the media isn't having a field day with it... yet...

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2003, 07:43 PM

Make sure you hit them up for a freebie - I'm getting a free copy of Keynote for my hassles. Since I will be using my PB for all kinds of presentations, both at work and TAFE, I guess this is a good thing.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Apr 9, 2003, 08:56 PM

I have no use for Keynote, what I do have a use for is my damn 17" PowerBook...

I wonder if I'll laugh over all this in a few months time, or still be waiting for the damn thing!!!

hlouey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 08:58 PM

Make sure you hit them up for a freebie - I'm getting a free copy of Keynote for my hassles. Since I will be using my PB for all kinds of presentations, both at work and TAFE, I guess this is a good thing.
I can see all of our american counterparts laughing with us as well. Those that ordered last week will be getting their PowerBooks the same time as those (i.e me!!) that ordered in January.

There is justice in there somewhere?? When I find it I am sure to post :-)

Oh! I have the Tom Bihn pics. But just have to work out someway of posting them onto my .Mac account without a Macintosh!

Regards,

Henry

Chuck1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 03:04 AM

Just got a call from Powermedia, saying that Apple would have my powerbook tomorrow and, Powermedia will have it on Monday (unless A/A are nice and decide to courier it tomorrow afternoon)!

�tomic, I don't know how many they're receiving with mine (I'm no 1 in the list apparently) but at least it means that yours is closer too!

Now I've got to finalise my insurance and a bag for it!

Chuck.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 07:56 AM

Chunk,

Can you let us know how much is your insurance preimum, excess and what's not covered when you have finalised one??

Just want to know how expensive to get a cover for a PowerBook...

�tomic
Apr 10, 2003, 08:30 AM

Just got a call from Powermedia, saying that Apple would have my powerbook tomorrow and, Powermedia will have it on Monday (unless A/A are nice and decide to courier it tomorrow afternoon)!

�tomic, I don't know how many they're receiving with mine (I'm no 1 in the list apparently) but at least it means that yours is closer too!

Chuck.

Well heres my situation...I ordered my powerbook in early Feb thinking I would have it by mid march at the latest. Obviously I still dont have it. The reason I purchased this machine was to complete a project coming up on the 16th April. I rang them this morning to ask if it would be in and they said not for another two weeks( the story of my life) A good friend of mine offered me his dual 500 tower to get my project done in the meantime and then I started thinking, If i can get this done now, screw Apple Im gonna withdraw my order. My next project isnt until July so I might as well sit it out until then . I mean I've waited this long it just doesnt matter anymore. So I called Powermedia back and explained my situation and advised them that I will be withdrawing my order as I would rather have $7k in my pocket than in my lap until my next project.

Now bear in mind I have no grudges whatsoever toward Powermedia, quite the opposite, they have been great to deal with and would highly recommend them to anybody. I know these delays have nothing to do with Powermedia directly.

After a little deliberation I was told that (magically) my powerbook will be included in the next shipment (the same as yours Chuck) so I should have it in my hands on Monday. I basically said that I dont care anymore about the powerbook, so if it is not here by Tuesday, simply cancel everything and refund my deposit.

I meant it too, I really dont care anymore, Apple have f#cked this up for me so much I just dont want to know about it.

So Chuck I may, or may not bump into you at Powermedia on Monday, if not, enjoy your Powerbook (whenever you get it). Worst case scenario, I'll just wait until my next project in July and buy something off the shelf. Same day, no bullshit.
( Last edited by �tomic; Apr 10, 2003 at 08:46 AM. )

liquidani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 09:28 AM

hi all,

first post here though have cruised thru the various threads for a bit as I have a 17" PB on order.

As for stocks of 17" PB in Australia, all I know is what my reseller told me today,there are around 900 {Australia wide}outstanding orders at the moment, but their stock records shows around 120 17" PBs in the country with a further 15 due in this week with no idea who gets what. They thought it was a bit weird that their records were showing "in stock" but what struck me was that it seems only 15 new PBs being shipped this week. As for expected delivery I got an honest "dont know, depends on Apple" as it seems no-one knows who gets what. So all we can do is wait maybe in time for rev "c". All I know my PB could be here next week or up to 4 weeks so I guess its a bit of lottery. My resellers just have no info as to when and how many PBs they will get, must be pretty tough to be an Apple reseller.

Cheers

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2003, 10:03 AM

It seems like the time for good news - tonight, my wife received a call from Westpac bank asking for authorisation on a six thousand plus debit to our visa card - FROM APPLE!!!!

This means that they're getting ready to ship the next batch, boys and girls! I've ordered from the online store, so anyone else who did so will no doubt receive notification shortly. Looks like Monday might be the day for it.

And about bloody time too. More news as it comes.

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2003, 10:07 AM

Just want to know how expensive to get a cover for a PowerBook...
I don't know what sort of position you're in as far as insurance goes, but I'll be switching to Suncorp very shortly for my building and contents policy. They will cover a notebook value at $7000.00 inside or outside of the home, for accidental loss or theft, for what amounts to only a small additional increase to my annual payment (It's all of $80.00 or so bucks a year extra). So you may want to check them out - though I do know they won't insure laptops unless they are part of a building and contents package...

Chuck1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 11:29 AM

I'm with NRMA for home contents, and they wouldn't touch the insurance for anything that's even fractionally used for business purposes. That's why I'm lumping the insurance for this machine in with my business (public liability) insurance.

Anyway, I'll let you know what it is when I get the quote.

Chuck.

�tomic
Apr 10, 2003, 07:31 PM

FOr those that care, Applecentre Lismore has a 17" Powerbook for sale (full price $6995 - they wont budge). Overnight shipping is included in the price. It is their demo model but have not had it out on the store floor. They have however opened it and shown any interested parties what it looks like. Apparently its been switched on once by staff and thats it.

I would buy it myself, but apparently, the machine I ordered months ago will be here before my project deadline. If not, as stated in my previous post, I have a machine on loan from a good friend, in order to complete my immediate work, and cancelling my order until mid year.

For those who dont want to join a waiting list, just ring and its yours. I started getting anxious mid week and thouhgt to myself, maybe some of the rural Applecentres received a machine or two in the last shipment and perhaps want to get rid of them ASAP ( I cant see a high demand for a $7K machine as in the CBD) Sure enough, I was right and the second place I called was the Lismore store who were willing to sell their demo unit.

We've all read on these forums how U.S. citizens have walked in off the street and picked one up, no waiting lists, just right place right time.

Give it a shot.

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2003, 08:34 PM

Nice find, Atomic.

Well, I rang Apple to find out what the deal is with my credit card charge, since my Order Status still says "Being Assembled". It seems they've authorised the funds, but made no charge, and they still have no shipping date other than "by the end of the month"

A trip to Lismore is tempting - especially since the box is already opened and you could check for dead pixels before you buy!

�tomic
Apr 10, 2003, 09:14 PM

MY POWERBOOK IS READY FOR PICKUP - I CANT BELIEVE IT!!

Since I decided to toss it all away yesterday - it arrives Im happy but the novelty has worn off completely

hlouey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 09:28 PM

MY POWERBOOK IS READY FOR PICKUP - I CANT BELIEVE IT!!

Since I decided to toss it all away yesterday - it arrives Im happy but the novelty has worn off completely
Hey thats great news. Glad to see a few more forum members are receiving theres.

Personally I feel for Chris over at dvdplaza. I thought my issues where bad but reading some of the other members experiences over this mine seem quite small.

Regards,

Henry

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 10:52 PM

I just gave my AppleCentre a call (something I've now been doing weekly instead of fortnightly). Despite other stores and customers receiving more stock, that isn't the case for me. Suprise, suprise

What they do know is another batch is "allegedly" on its way (but not expected, since Apple Australia have their heads too far up their %^&# at the moment to be considered reliable). If that batch does arrive, it isn't anticipated until next Tuesday/Wednesday. Worse yet, get this, they've found out only TWO machines will be arriving!

The good news is, as I've known all along, I'm at the top of the list - so one of those two is mine. The bad news is, as I expected, I still won't be receiving mine for yet another week...

I guess, at the very least, I have progressed recently to be told "1 more week" every week instead of "2 more weeks" every fortnight.

Disappointing that I ordered the day the product was announced in the first week of January, yet demo machines/some people ordering a month later/etc have been delivered ahead of me

hlouey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 10:59 PM

I just gave my AppleCentre a call (something I've now been doing weekly instead of fortnightly). Despite other stores and customers receiving more stock, that isn't the case for me. Suprise, suprise

What they do know is another batch is "allegedly" on its way (but not expected, since Apple Australia have their heads too far up their %^&# at the moment to be considered reliable). If that batch does arrive, it isn't anticipated until next Tuesday/Wednesday. Worse yet, get this, they've found out only TWO machines will be arriving!

The good news is, as I've known all along, I'm at the top of the list - so one of those two is mine. The bad news is, as I expected, I still won't be receiving mine for yet another week...

I guess, at the very least, I have progressed recently to be told "1 more week" every week instead of "2 more weeks" every fortnight.

Disappointing that I ordered the day the product was announced in the first week of January, yet demo machines/some people ordering a month later, etc have been delivered ahead of me n:
Chris,

Since so many people read DVDPlaza. Why not post an editorial cc:apple AU about your experiences.

I also know what Simon Wright from Whirlpool.net.au is also interested in this whole saga.

May cause some action. Then again it might not But at least it helps vent some steam

Henry

�tomic
Apr 10, 2003, 11:26 PM

Disappointing that I ordered the day the product was announced in the first week of January, yet demo machines/some people ordering a month later/etc have been delivered ahead of me

Im not trying to piss you off at all but i just picked mine up and have it under my desk at work. Funny thing is, I ordered a Willowdesign SC-37 bag from Canada and as I walked out of the elevator here at work, the delivery guy was standing there with my package, looking for my number on the phone list.

What Im trying to say Chris, is just when I had given up all hope, eveything arrived at once like a downpour. I agree with you 110% about priority deliveries. If you ordered yours on the day of the keynote you should have had yours for at least two weeks already.

I am absolutely appalled at the way Apple handled this whole 17" Powerbook launch. It has proven to me that although their products are top notch, they have no idea about customer service or customer satisfaction, it has proven their internal logistics and public relations is an absolute shambles and that they have no intention of doing anything about it. Any self respecting company would have issued some sort of press release to re-assure its customers and more importantly the switchers that are arriving to this new world of computing. Obviously Apple like throwing their advertising dollars down the toilet when its internal departments can't even co-operate.

Apple - Wake up to yourselves!

spathi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2003, 12:29 AM

Chris, its great to hear you have some what of a confirmation, your ordeal is buy far the worst i have read, I always thought i had it hard going having to wait so long then i read what you have gone through, and i dont feel the need to complain as much

Originally posted by hlouey:
Chris,

Since so many people read DVDPlaza. Why not post an editorial cc:apple AU about your experiences.
I actually think this is a great idea I enjoyed reading your other reviews. And it would be great for someone with a voice to get the message across.

Here's to hoping more PB's make the trip down here soon..
17" PB /w 1 gig of ram

Forum Links
Forum Rules