Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > :mad:My Quicksilver G4 randomly powers down :-(

:mad:My Quicksilver G4 randomly powers down :-(
cbcarbaj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2003, 02:44 AM

mac-guru's

I have a 800MHz Quicksilver running OS X 10.2 that is randomly powering down. Doesn't seem to be app related as it's happened in lots of different apps and many times when the screen saver is running.

Seems to happen less when I have the case open which leads me to believe that it *may* be heat related, but at this point that is just a guess.

Has anyone seen or heard of this problem before? It's driving me nuts :-)

thanks in advance

reader50
Administrator
Jun 1, 2003, 02:52 AM

I had this happen on a flat-screen iMac. Turned out the power cord wasn't plugged fully into the case. Pushing it in all the way cured the problem.

Another possibility. On occasion, if the power button is not perfectly centered in the front panel hole, it can get stuck pushed in a little. Under hotter conditions or random vibration, it might register as pushed in. Holding the case power button in for 5 seconds will cause a shut down.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2003, 07:30 PM

What screen saver are you running? Is it one that would stress your computer, possibly leading to overheating? (such as any distributed computing thing, or a fancy 3D thing).
Be happy.

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2003, 09:15 PM

That's actually a feature. It keeps you from getting too adicted to computing. And it keeps you alert and on your toes, reminding you to save frequently.

Seriously, that's a drag. Good luck getting it sorted out.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 11:37 PM

Is it just shutting off like you pulled the plug, or is it a shut down?

I had a similar problem with my G4 after I installed some hard drives, but it wouldn't turn on, it was a short caused by screws that were a bit too long. it's possible you have a short and it just vibrates sometimes to the point of going out.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2003, 12:33 AM

It could be static related too. The el capitan case is widely known for problems like that (you can restart a g4 or g3 just by touching it wrong if you're in an area that has static)

This means touching one of the 8 screws on the outside of the case lol/
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 4, 2003, 02:45 AM

My roommate's QuickSilver did the same thing... it would just shut off (not a proper, software-controlled shutdown... it would just suddenly die), and you'd have to wait a 1/2 hour before it would power up again (pressing the power button would make it light up, but it would just fade back off and nothing would happen).

The local (now-gone-out-of-business) Mac shop was staffed by idiots who couldn't diagnose it, but luckily my old boss (in another city!) trusted my diagnosis and ordered my roomie a new power supply. It's worked fine ever since.

tooki

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 02:51 AM

The condition you reported indicates a short, you probably just had something not correctly grounded. It's possible it could be something else though, but not likely from what you say.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Forum Links
Forum Rules