Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G4 17" Powerbook won't start up

G4 17" Powerbook won't start up
retrotron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2003, 02:08 AM

I'm brand new to Macs, I know nothing about them, so hopefully somebody can help.

My G4 17" Powerbook that I've had for less than 36 hours suddenly won't start up. I haven't done anything to it except boot it a few times and install a trial version of Flash MX. I did have some kernel panics on one of the boots, but a safe boot fixed that.

When I press the power button, the chime sounds, then I hear the disks (hard drive? optical drive?) start up, but they quickly slow down (and stop?). Nothing happens. The screen doesn't turn on. Blank. The installation CD that came in the box is in the drive, but holding down the mouse button at boot doesn't eject it. It appears to still be on, because I can hold down the power button for a few seconds to power down, and then press it again to boot (at which point the same blank screen happens).

I've tried it with and without the battery and with and without the power cable. Nothing seems to work, just a blank screen.

Can anybody help me?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2003, 12:58 PM

Hmmm, that doesn't sound to swell.

Try holding "C" while it's booting up and it may try to boot from the CD in the drive.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

iDORK
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2003, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by retrotron:
I'm brand new to Macs, I know nothing about them, so hopefully somebody can help.

My G4 17" Powerbook that I've had for less than 36 hours suddenly won't start up. I haven't done anything to it except boot it a few times and install a trial version of Flash MX. I did have some kernel panics on one of the boots, but a safe boot fixed that.

When I press the power button, the chime sounds, then I hear the disks (hard drive? optical drive?) start up, but they quickly slow down (and stop?). Nothing happens. The screen doesn't turn on. Blank. The installation CD that came in the box is in the drive, but holding down the mouse button at boot doesn't eject it. It appears to still be on, because I can hold down the power button for a few seconds to power down, and then press it again to boot (at which point the same blank screen happens).

I've tried it with and without the battery and with and without the power cable. Nothing seems to work, just a blank screen.

Can anybody help me?
I encountered the same problem when I first received my Powerbook 15" 1GHz. I was able to use it for a day and then suddenly it would begin to lockup during startup or just show a blank screen when powering it up. I contacted Apple and had to send it in for repair. They fixed it within 5 business days. They actually replaced the 1Ghz CPU according to the repair information.

You should contact Apple Care and they may be able to resolve it promptly. Good luck!

aktive
Jul 20, 2003, 08:13 PM

Press power on while holding shift-cmd-O-F this should bring you to the firmware command line letting you give commands directly to the motherboards firmware. When you are presented with a command line type in "eject cd" this should eject the cd.

Sorry I can't help with the overall matter of your powerbook switching on, but at least you'll be able to get the cd out and see if that is the problem.

Hope this helps
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do."

Forum Links
Forum Rules