Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PB: How is yours holding up?

12" PB: How is yours holding up?
jaske
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2003, 07:33 PM

So, my experience with the 12"s has been less than stellar . . . my first died the night I brought it home; the second has developed a weird white spot on the screen, and has a severely warped case after only three weeks of usage. And, I always use it on a Cool Pad. Tomorrow it goes off for repairs.

My question is: how's your 12" holding up? Do you have warping issues, screen problems, etc.?

When it gets back from Apple with the new screen and a new case, I'm debating whether I should put it on eBay and pick-up a new model. I want a 12" (as great as the 15" is I need portability). And, like others I'm concerned that the new models will run even hotter, and suffer from more of the same.

I guess I need some reassurance that most 12"s last . . . my friend's has the same problems as mine (and I know, a sample of two (and any response) is not statistically significant . . . ). Thanks.

-Jennings
( Last edited by jaske; Sep 17, 2003 at 09:08 PM. )

jdhindes
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2003, 10:58 PM

My 12" Powerbook has been fine. The ONLY problem I have had is the loss of a "rubber foot." Mine has not warped nor have I had any screen problems. I purchased my Powerbook in February and have been very happy with it ever since I received it.

I love the stability of OS X.

Jim

kikosxl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2003, 02:05 AM

My 15" PB lcd screen died last night. I'm not pleased by this particulary because it's been less than 3 months since I bought it new and I never abused it. The external monitor works fine when connected to the PB.

I owned an ibook that exhibited the same problem at one point, but a restart solved the issue. It appears that this is a permanent problem with my Powerbook.

Does anyone know the general turn-around time for lcd repairs? I need to have this back by the end of the month.

jaske  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2003, 08:56 AM

thanks for the replies . . . and, I meant 12" Powerbooks in case anyone's wondering.

Darksider
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2003, 09:01 AM

My powerbook is doing fine for the moment. Though it has crashed twice and I had to restored it once.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2003, 09:34 AM

My wifes powerbook was warped and wouldn't lay flat on a desk. She took it back and was told they all do that. i took it back and they fixed it. Go figure. It seems (not sure if it's true) but there is a bar across the inside of the case that can be bent (how!) and that they have a machine to straighten it. Sounds a bit phony to me, but it does now sit perfectly flat.

If yours is warped take it back and complain heavily.

J.

Other than that, she loves her little powerbook.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2003, 10:03 AM

There's one pixel on my screen that has died and then came back from the dead twice. It hasn't done it for a couple of weeks, so my fingers are crossed that it won't happen again. Even if it does, it's not that big a deal cause the pixel in question is down in the lower lefthand corner area. Other than that minor hiccup, all is well. No warping or heat issues, and it still has all its original rubber feet. Later this year when Panther comes out, I'm thinking of upgrading to a 7200 RPM HDD, also that D101 SD firmware update is very tempting.
Lysdexics have more fnu.

mism
Sep 18, 2003, 10:32 AM

got my 12" in March, no problems at all, it never gets turned off and is used consistently for at least six hours a day. Its in and out of my back pack for the journey to and from work every day. Yes it can get hot, but it doesn't bother me.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2003, 10:43 AM

no problems
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2003, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by kikosxl:
My 15" PB lcd screen died last night. I'm not pleased by this particulary because it's been less than 3 months since I bought it new and I never abused it. The external monitor works fine when connected to the PB.

I owned an ibook that exhibited the same problem at one point, but a restart solved the issue. It appears that this is a permanent problem with my Powerbook.

Does anyone know the general turn-around time for lcd repairs? I need to have this back by the end of the month.
I hope your experience of getting your new screen fitted is better than mine. I had NINE!! screens fitted to my Ti book before I got one that was close to perfect. Two of them had 13 and 22 dead pixels respectively ( how did they get pasy quality control )and all but one had a badly aligned case.

The problem is that the Ti screens are bonded into the titanium cover and for simple repairs such as loose wires etc.. Apple refurb the screens that are from warranty returns but they often warp or mis shape the upper casing getting the bond to break. I had covers with overlapping edges, greatly unequal gaps, scratches, you name it. Apple even acusued me of sabotage at one time!! It is no exageration to say that they had the machine for longer than I did.

It was a nightmare, so much so that when it came back somewhere like it was originally, I sold it on eBay. The thing is, I desperately want to buy a new 12" or 15" Al book but I'm too wary now and threads like this dont help.

Mskr
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2003, 10:57 AM

Also no problems at all, other than two feet (catty corner to each other, too.. ) that have been torn off by me sliding it around. I still have one, but one is gone forever... Oh, also used pretty much constantly for at least 8 hours a day, every work day and a lot on weekends, too.
Software Architect, CodeTek Studios, Inc.

12" AlBook 867 (Combo drive) 640 MB/40 GB (work development machine) -- TiBook 400MHz/384MB/10GB (home machine)
CodeTek VirtualDesktop Pro: Power multitasking! -- DockExtender: Powerful, efficient launcher for Apps, Docs and everything else!

gauchogirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2003, 11:05 AM

My 12" book is also working fine, in the beginning I had some problems with case splitting but that seems to have ended. I too have had the problem with the rubber feet falling off, but luckily I found them all and was able to super glue them back *hopes that works*. The battery doesn't sit flush with the bottom, but since it doesn't cause any wobbling I'm fine with it.

I especially love my powerbook because it's my first mac, and when it was dropped (2 months after I got it) it still works perfectly (aside from the dented corner that I'm too poor to fix right now).

jsnyder
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2003, 12:03 PM

Zero major problems here.

This powerbook has been rock solid, no kernel panics, no wobble, no troubles with the SD, or anything else. It is far speedier than my old iBook, and hasn't run into any of the problems that I was having with that machine either (2 batteries died, then the radeon crapped out)

Only thing I've noticed recently is that I have put a few scratches on the case, including one little black grouping on the left palm rest, which I'm not sure how it got there. I usually take off my watch when using the powerbook since it gets in the way. Nowhere near the kind of stuff that seemed to magically appear on the iBook's casing. I babied the damn thing and there were scratches all over the bottom.

Overall, this is the best computer I've owned, period.
MacBook White 2.0 GHz, SuperDrive, 2 GB RAM, 120GB
-jsnyder

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2003, 12:07 PM

My 12" PB is holding up great! I use it daily, carrying in a bookbag daily, and basically put it through a lot of usage in college. It's one of the first batch w/ heat issues, sticky trackpad, etc., but I love it! The trackpad doesn't bother me as I always click the left side which doesn't stick, and the heat never gets too hot for comfort...best laptop I've ever used.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

julesburt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2003, 12:34 PM

My 12" (bought in Feb) has had no problems to speak of. A rubber foot came off and the latch initially took quite a shutting to work - but even that seems to have resolved itself.

Fantastic machine (and that's from someone who used to have a 15"Ti.

Jules.

torifile
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 12:52 PM

I lost all 4 of my feet by sliding it around, but I got them replaced at the Apple Store. The 'book's been fine otherwise. I did have my power adapter die on me but that was resolved when I got my feet fixed. Other than that, it's been great.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 01:16 PM

My Powerbook's been running really nicely since I got it in February. It has turned into my main computer system. The only "problems" I've had with it are three missing feet and a missing screw on the screen. I've lost three feet so the Powerbook wobbles like crazy when I have it on a solid surface to type on. If I take it down to an Apple Store they'll put new feet on under warranty but I haven't had time to drive down there lately.

The missing screw has been vexing me to no end. It is one of the screws on the bottom of the screen with the miniature hex slot. I have no idea how that thing fell out, I've never messed with the screen before. I'm a little worried that when I bring it up to one of the people at the Apple Store they'll thing I had been goofing around with it.

My other two cosmetic issues are a battery cover that doesn't fit flush and a small gap between the screen and palm rest. Apparently the screen gap is within mechanical tolerances for the Powerbook. The battery cover could use a little super glue and likely be just fine. Neiter of these I really expect Apple to care enough about to fix under warranty.

n_lim
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2003, 01:23 PM

no problems with my bought in february 12" except a missing rubber footie.
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2003, 01:34 PM

Mine's been perfect since early March, looks like it did the day I bought it. The feet on mine have been replaced though. The last time I replaced them I used some industrial strength cyanoacrylate to attach them to the case... not one has come off since and it's been 3 months.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by kikosxl:

kikosxl, do you live in the U.S. or outside? That could have a bearing on turnaround time.

jslacker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2003, 01:50 PM

I'm considering buying one of the new 15" powerbooks (I've never owned a mac before). Not trying at all to be inflamatory, but I'm somewhat concerned about the apparently high ratio of problems to no problems mentioned here. Is this just some statistical fluke (people with problems are more likely to post)? If I get one, is purchasing AppleCare a good investment? I've heard varying opinions on the value of AppleCare. Because I'm a college student, I don't want to shell out a small fortune without being sure I'm going to get a machine that will work without requiring much (if any) physical maintenance.

Thanks for any input you may have.

- joel

cambro
Senior User
Sep 18, 2003, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by jslacker:
I'm considering buying one of the new 15" powerbooks (I've never owned a mac before). Not trying at all to be inflamatory, but I'm somewhat concerned about the apparently high ratio of problems to no problems mentioned here. Is this just some statistical fluke (people with problems are more likely to post)? - joel
This is a perennial statement from would-be buyers. As you suspect, forums like this are indeed where people come to complain, troubleshoot, and fix problems. Mac users in particular are very in-tune to their machines, and even cosmetic issues become bones of serious contention for them. They are also vocal by nature and know where to go with their voices.

It is both BORING to post and BORING to read when somebody says, "yeah, I've had 4 Apple portables and an eMac over the past 5 years in my extended family and hey, they've all worked great, and still do, and I've never needed any kind of service whatsoever" (which is, by the way, my situtation).

Although there is ALWAYS a probability greater than zero of getting a defective machine from Apple, or any other company, by and large, Apple does very, very well in producing low-failure rate machines. You can find statistics about this on the web, I'm sure.

Regarding AppleCare...Personally, I've never invested in AppleCare for any of the Powerbooks I've owned, and none of the other machines in my family have or have needed AppleCare either. It DOES give you peace of mind and I know that Apple will go out of their way to help you if you have AppleCare, but that is really a personal decision. It is, however, not a requirement in owning an Apple computer.

p.s. The machine I have now is a 15" Ghz Ti. It has performed flawlessly since I bought it last November. Baring the extremely unlikely event that you get a lemon, I think you will be very, very pleased with the new 15".

MrK
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2003, 02:47 PM

As to the above post, you are in a forum topic that people with problems are posting to, so you are seeing more warts than normal.

As for Applecare, it can be a life saver. But they don't give you a replacement, so you are still out a computer for 1wk-3wks. The fastest turn around time I have had on a PB was 6 days. Not bad, but a long time to be without a comp.

12" Problems:

Case scratches - 3 of them now. I was hoping the anodized alum would be better than this. I use a Willow case and don't abuse this book...

Feet: Missing 3, no time to go to Apple store for new feet.

Keyboard: Keys are discoloring slightly from use, can no longer be cleaned by iKlean. And I use an Apple pro board when I am at home with this.

But overall another great Apple computer. I have had one go bad on me in my life, a tangerine iBook that only lasted 2 years. The other dozen Apples I have owned since 1986 have all been almost perfect. The PB Duo 280C kept having keyboards go bad, but that was just me typing on it 3-4 hrs a day for7 years...

PBG4 User
Senior User
Sep 18, 2003, 02:57 PM

If you have a decent credit card, they'll double the manufacturer's warranty, up to an extra full year. So, if you buy an Apple using one of these cards, the 1-year warranty will be automatically doubled to a 2-year warranty. The only thing is you'll have to work with the credit card company to get them to pay for repairs once Apple's warranty runs out.

My Rev. A 500Ti had issues within the first few months of purchase and Apple took care of them lickity split. Since then, it's been 2+ trouble-free years of PowerBook goodness.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 03:39 PM

no probs here...

greatest computer I have ever owned...

I just wish they could somehow reduce the outside frame of aluminum surrounding the screen,..thus making the screen a tad larger, but if they did this the screen would no longer be a 12"...

(I am referring to how the 15" screen looks so cool as the TFT nearly goes right to the edge of the monitor housing...

aside from this wish (which has no chance in becoming reality...) my 12"AlRevA has been outstanding...

Apple got the form factor spot on perfect for this computer...

it goes from backpack to lecture daily, and is always on/sleeping 24/7...

no warping or missing rubber problems here...

but then again I use a homemade coolpad manufactured from ridgid copper plumbing tubing (1/2" diameter..) it really complements the industrialist look of the Al....

lates...

I'll post some pics if anyone wants...

lates...(again)...

YoungTurk
Sep 18, 2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
no probs here...

greatest computer I have ever owned...

Ditto here on that most definitely.

YoungTurk
PB G4 12" 640/60/SD/AE
PB G4 12" 1.33 ghtz 1.25 RAM/80 HD/AE/SuperDrive, FP iMac 800 (Superdrive), Silver iPod Mini, iBook 600 Combo, PMac G4 733 (Superdrive), Snow iMac 600

Adham
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2003, 03:52 PM

I have to preface everything I say here with "but I still love my 12" PB!":

Got it two months ago, and within three weeks I was getting the kernel panic screen/hardware failure code coming up - unfortunately before I had a chance to back up my data! (My fault, I know...) Brought it to the Apple Store where I bought it, and I asked them to do the data backup and transfer while they were doing the repair (I had a good idea that the data was still accessible because it could still boot in target disk mode). Got it back - Apple had done a complete Tier 3 replacement job (logic board, HD, etc.), and charged me for a data transfer from the old HD. Got it home, and my data wasn't there! Major screw-up on their part, but we eventually got it sorted out.

Also had to send a 512MB RAM module back to OWC for replacement because it was causing application quits, and am currently waiting on my feet 'n glue kit from Apple - missing one and another coming off.

This was a replacement for a Pismo 400 Mhz, and though that was a great machine, the 12" feels lighter, stronger, faster - and just looks cleaner. I love it!

Adham
12" PB 768MB 80GB AE SD

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2003, 04:40 PM

I experienced my first really bad problem with the heat on the 12" PB last night. It was charging at the same time I was using it. I guess I had been on it for about an hour, maybe closing on an hour and a half. Man, it was hot on the left side, REALLY hot. I couldn't hold my hand up to the bottom because the heat was so intense. No, I wasn't burning CDs or watching DVDs, or even playing iTunes. I was just surfing the Net, IM, and I had Airport on and Internet sharing.

Otherwise, the 12" PB is awesome. The size is perfect, the speed is great, and the new update offers a few changes that make it an even sweeter deal. Having 256MB of RAM on the board is nice, Apple should have done this in the beginning anyway. As far as the rubber feet, I don't scoot mine around on tables or anything. Remember, the job of the rubber feet is to keep it from sliding around, so don't put pressure on them by doing so and you'll be fine. I've not noticed any warping with mine, and the screen is brilliant; bright and it sits just high enough off of the keyboard to prevent the keys from touching, a problem the Ti's and Prismo's had...although I never owned one myself.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2003, 09:07 PM

I'm on my second one. I had the first one for about two weeks, during which time it went into AppleCare twice. The second time it came back with a dead SuperDrive.

The second one has been going strong for over 6 months now. The only problem I've seen is an apparent backlighting problem where a part of the screen is darker than the rest. It seems to be worse if I put the machine in its sleeve immediately after putting it to sleep, while it's still quite warm. I've made a point to leave it out to cool down for several minutes before putting it away and the darkness is much less pronounced. I suspect if I sent it into Apple, they wouldn't find anything wrong.

meltedPB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2003, 01:29 AM

my 17 day old 12' PB has severe warping

http://homepage.mac.com/meltedpowerb...otoAlbum1.html

not very pretty- Apple didn't cover it under warranty because they said it must have been dropped which it WASN'T ( sorry, i'm a bit defensive) but my crdit card covered so i couldn't be bother chasing apple around.

the damage happened after a night of being plugged in and is around the F1,2,3 and where the power cord goes in- i'd be interested to see if anyone has had anything similar happen

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 01:35 AM

My first one was almost D.O.A. It booted once or twice, but wouldn't subsequently.

The replacement has been bulletproof. As some have said above, it's simply the best computer I've ever owned. It only gets rebooted when I change iContainer sets. Best uptime so far has been 47 days and some change. Bulletproof!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
My first one was almost D.O.A. It booted once or twice, but wouldn't subsequently.

The replacement has been bulletproof. As some have said above, it's simply the best computer I've ever owned. It only gets rebooted when I change iContainer sets. Best uptime so far has been 47 days and some change. Bulletproof!
man that looks serious....

i can't believe that happened all by itself...

i also have that latch warping...

more so on the right side...(of the keyboard...)

it is very slight...almost looks as if the right side is separating ever so slightly, one really would not notice such a thing...

is this normal...

has anyone contacted apple regarding this if so what has happened....

TIA...

lates....

Forum Links
Forum Rules