Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Quaker 1.3 Theme for Panther

Quaker 1.3 Theme for Panther
Kwad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 03:29 PM

F.Y.I.

I was a little taken away by the graphics and design of this particulr theme and so i downloaded it and to my suprise it worked fine until i went to change the theme back to its original state.

Once back in its orginal state the airport icon up top, the ichat, the internet connect, battery, and also the volume control all at the top remained yellow (From Quaker). At that point i contacted the author and this is what he had to say, which bothered me a bit because those who create programs i thought they thought of the possibility of people needing their system back to its original state, but anyway...:

"Thanks for your compliment.

About your Menu Bar icons. When you installed Quaker, its menu graphics over wrote the default graphics, as in the nature of theme installs for OS X. I wish I could be of more assistance in this matter, but until I get a computer with 10.3 on it that has the original files, I cannot make a "Quaker Reverser". I edited my originals and didn't think about reversing until it was too late. If you really want to get rid of the yellow menubar items in the mean time; you can download a program called Pacifist. Use this program to open the Mac OS X install packages, select the /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/ directory and click install. It will install just the contents of that Menu Extras folder and that only, so you don't have to worry about it messing up your prefs or anything."

With the suggestions that he made to restore my default features it did not work because i was unable to locate the directory he spoke of, so what i did i reinstalled my system disc. except the languages, printers, internet explorer, etc... and now all is back to normal except the airport icon. hummm Well anyway, i have posted this so others can be aware of a possible problem like mine if you download this particular theme.

F.Y.I.

Kwad

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2003, 04:21 PM

for the record the majority of the system stuff on the install disk is in the "essentials" pkg. it might be too late for you, but im somewhat sure that that is where they are.

Dan.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2003, 08:38 PM

this is exactly why aquafix needs to be updated...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by mrbiiggy2:
Indeed.
click one

Sage
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by mrbiiggy2:
Well, problem being that Gordon officially discontinued Aquafix several months ago. Anybody else up to the challenge?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 01:33 AM

Maybe someone could get permission to use the existing app to get an update made? There are already Aqua restore package installers, so it shouldn't be too hard to update.
click one

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2003, 01:25 AM

The trouble with AquaFix is that it is illegal - it includes files from Mac OS X that are copyrighted by Apple.

It is also somewhat dangerous, as you could accidentally install the Aqua files from the wrong version of OS X, and cause problems.

Pacifist is capable of restoring the menu extra you're looking for: they are found in the Essentials.pkg, but if you click the "Open Mac OS X Install Packages" button with Disk 1 of the install CD's inserted, it will open all the packages for you, and you can easily navigate to the folder.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 01:35 AM

Something like it that does a backup of Aqua when you install it might work..?
click one

sniffer
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2003, 04:57 AM

I think things like this is what you risk with any theme you install, and it's not participially limited to this theme. Lets hope project like the Monolith succeed, so things gets more convenient down the road. Peace.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Brak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2003, 04:46 PM

[Quaker Author Speaking]

Sorry about the apparent confusion here. I have since created a proper restore (un)installer for Quaker. You can download it off the Quaker webpage.

http://theresourcefork.com:81/WWWser...r-Quake3Theme/

I didn't realize you could find pacifist such a hard program to use... I thought I explained precisely how to do it without an uninstaller quite well with a vast amount of detail.

Besides... You should have emailed me again with more detail as to what your problem was (that you couldn't find Essentials.pkg or the "Open Mac OS X Install Packages" button) and I would have worked with you to resolve it. Reinstalling your WHOLE OS is kind of like killing a fly with a hydrogen bomb; ridicules over kill.

Next time you have a problem, ask someone who knows something instead of blasting the product on a forum.

Originally posted by Kwad:
F.Y.I.

I was a little taken away by the graphics and design of this particulr theme and so i downloaded it and to my suprise it worked fine until i went to change the theme back to its original state.

Once back in its orginal state the airport icon up top, the ichat, the internet connect, battery, and also the volume control all at the top remained yellow (From Quaker). At that point i contacted the author and this is what he had to say, which bothered me a bit because those who create programs i thought they thought of the possibility of people needing their system back to its original state, but anyway...:

"Thanks for your compliment.

About your Menu Bar icons. When you installed Quaker, its menu graphics over wrote the default graphics, as in the nature of theme installs for OS X. I wish I could be of more assistance in this matter, but until I get a computer with 10.3 on it that has the original files, I cannot make a "Quaker Reverser". I edited my originals and didn't think about reversing until it was too late. If you really want to get rid of the yellow menubar items in the mean time; you can download a program called Pacifist. Use this program to open the Mac OS X install packages, select the /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/ directory and click install. It will install just the contents of that Menu Extras folder and that only, so you don't have to worry about it messing up your prefs or anything."

With the suggestions that he made to restore my default features it did not work because i was unable to locate the directory he spoke of, so what i did i reinstalled my system disc. except the languages, printers, internet explorer, etc... and now all is back to normal except the airport icon. hummm Well anyway, i have posted this so others can be aware of a possible problem like mine if you download this particular theme.

F.Y.I.

TheResourceFork.com Software
The All Powerful Ruler of the Universe;
- Blake "Brak" Stephens -
http://Software.TheResourceFork.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules