Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo G3 Probelm

Pismo G3 Probelm
Macster33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2004, 02:26 PM

Hey all,

I am a new user to the forums.

Anyways, I have a probelm with my PB. It fell off the edge of my bed and the ac plugin got bent and wouldnt charge. I took it apart and resodered the ac pluging part back onto the circut board. Well I had thought it was fixed but saw differences. After I repaired the part (where you plug into charge) I noticed that it took 4 days to charge the battery to 45 percent. Before the thing dropped, it would take a matter of hours and the battery would be fully charged. I also noticed that if unpluged, the battery life would drop a percentage every min. This never occured before I dropped it. The sound worked however.

Anyways, I went back and took the powerbook under the knife again. It was really horrific, I got the peice that the cord hooks up to off the circut board it was sodered on to. And with the best of my ability, tweeked it and sodered it back on. If you know what sodering is, its hard working in small areas. I got some of the soder on areas close to it. But thought it was ok. So after I sewed the thing back up. I put it all back together and figured it would be a success.

WRONG... the thing starts up... and if i go to run any programs, it will launch the program and then just sit there with a spinning rainbow colored circle (os x). Force quit doesnt work, it just doesnt want to function anymore. Sound doesnt work now either, if i press the keyboard key for sound, it displays it full and then displays it as if i turned it all the way down if i release the key.

I dont know what I could have done tmess this thing up so bad because I was fixing a part that has its own detachable circut board, and only dealed with the charger plugin spot, power button spot, and the sound plugin spot. Its sitting in my room completly apart again, I dont know what to do, cause it seems like so much is wrong with it when it shouldnt be.

Some of you are probably going to say, just take it to someone that repairs them. Well I dont want, I beleive I am computer savy... and i dont have the money to get it repaired or buy a new peice. I have taken this PB apart so many times now over this, I know this comp inside out. I could put it together with my eyes closed.

Any suggestions?

Have any of you had the same symptoms before?

I believe that part is still fixable.
( Last edited by Macster33; Mar 13, 2004 at 02:31 PM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 13, 2004, 02:40 PM

1. what PowerBook model do you have?

2. it's spelled s-o-l-d-e-r-e-d

tooki

Macster33  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2004, 02:45 PM

sorry about the spelling.

im not sure which one i have,

its a powerbook g3 500MHZ dvd 12 gb hd