Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > spire sleeves?

spire sleeves?
babajazz
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 01:46 AM

it seems that they're the best bang for the buck. Anyone else think so?

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 10:18 AM

It would be nice if you offered a link for
people to comment on it spireusa

But you might want to look at

marwares sleeves
RadTech Shinza
Timbuk2
Acme
booqbags

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 10:30 AM

I just bought the Spire Volt backpack and the Boot Deluxe sleeve. They accidentally sent me the more basic Dash sleeve (too thin for my tastes), but are sending me the correct one for exchange. The backpack quality is excellent, I'll let you know about the sleeve when I get it.

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2004, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by babajazz:
it seems that they're the best bang for the buck. Anyone else think so?
Anybody know if they're still in business? Sent an email about 5 days ago asking about a horizontal sleeve for a PB 15"-still no reply. Their 2003 size chart doesn't doesn't show a corresponding size.

jewing80
May 15, 2004, 07:51 PM

Initially the Spire Volt XL/ Boot combination looked to be the ideal solution for carrying my Ti and various other goodies. Unfortunately my experience with the company was less than enjoyable. I was quoted a ship time of 1 business day, I placed my order and waited for my shipping notice. Two days later I got an order confirmation stating the item would ship nearly three weeks later. I contacted Spire... a rep told me their website was not up to date and that the delay was accurate.

I let them know that I needed the backpack for a trip the following week and if they could not deliver I wanted my order canceled. I was told they would look into it and contact me later that day... 3 days later I called them to let them know that I had never been called back and that I wanted my order cancelled. the rep this time told me they had found one and were sending it out overnight free of charge. I decided to take my chances and go ahead with the order. The following day nothing arrived. I contacted Spire via e-mail requesting tracking information, no response. I called to find out the information the following day, I was told the item was out of stock... eta 3 weeks. By this time I was fuming, to top it all off through out all of this I was speaking to the same exact rep, it was as though as soon as she hung up the phone she totally forgot about everything. As it turned out the bag had shipped, I only found this out because it arrived nearly a week after it was promised... I was traveling at the time.

Although the bag seemed to be of decent quality it had an almost "Jansport" type of mass production feel to it. Nothing like the quality of Tom Bihn or Gary Waterfield's bags. In the end I could not justify the cost so I returned the Volt and Boot.

Two months after they received the return and nearly a dozen unanswered e-mails later I was finally given credit back. All in all the product was fair and the service was horrible. I know many have had very positive experiences however myself and a couple others seemed to have absolutely nightmarish ordeals with them.

Just a word of caution...

Forum Links
Forum Rules