Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > pioneer DVR-106D & cd-rom media (?)

pioneer DVR-106D & cd-rom media (?)
David Thompson
Dec 5, 2004, 02:40 PM

A while back I put one of these beasties in my DP800. It works great for read/writing DVD-Rs. I have not, however, been able to succesfully write a cd-r. It goes through the writing and then dies, saying that it couldn't verify the write. The cd looks like it was written to, but neither this machine or my laptop (15"Al) can read it.

I've tried cd-r 4x and cdr 16x (black). Do I have a media problem here and if so what should I be using?

Thanks!

kastegir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 02:53 AM

I just put one of these in my Quicksilver tower (originally an 867, upgraded to 1.467gHz) this evening. It was pulled from a PC, so it's not an Apple OEM. I flashed the firmware (region free, v.1.07, I think). It shows up as Apple supplied/supported in the system profiler and it's burning just fine. I just burned a CD in iTunes to test it.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 12:42 PM

If you bought it new you have a 1 year replacement warranty, so you should return it for fixing if that hasn't expired. I've had one die from overheating, with similar symptoms.

David Thompson  (op)
Dec 9, 2004, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the info. I sent a query to OWC tech support to see what they have to say. It's just shy of a year old. Hmmm. Maybe there's NOTHING I can do and I'll be FORCED to buy a new desktop! :-)

Madrag
Senior User
Dec 10, 2004, 10:21 AM

you could get the 107D, works great!
but if you need a good excuse to get a new mac, then I hope your 106 has died completely

Forum Links
Forum Rules