Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Hidden Passages

The Hidden Passages
Salah al-Din
Banned
Jan 25, 2005, 01:25 PM

The Hidden Passages

Interesting article.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2005, 01:48 PM

Fascinating. I think that some of the connections being drawn were awfully thin -for example, the very first one, where the only connection was the phrase 'in good measure'- but most of the assertions were a lot more solid, and overall the article was fascinating.

However, it's quite a leap from ripping a couple of phrases from the Bible in a single speech to 'establishing religion', particularly when so many of the phrases seemed carefully worded to excise any mention of God or Jesus.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Salah al-Din  (op)
Banned
Jan 25, 2005, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Fascinating. I think that some of the connections being drawn were awfully thin -for example, the very first one, where the only connection was the phrase 'in good measure'- but most of the assertions were a lot more solid, and overall the article was fascinating.

However, it's quite a leap from ripping a couple of phrases from the Bible in a single speech to 'establishing religion', particularly when so many of the phrases seemed carefully worded to excise any mention of God or Jesus.
I agree that some of it was very thin and it was very carefully worded. But I still found it interesting that he would choose to do that and show his base that he is still one of theirs.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2005, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:

I was going to say the exact same thing, so I'll just quote you.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2005, 04:29 PM

Sounds like parinoia to me.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2005, 05:02 PM

Also note that Bush made satanic signs during the inauguration ceremony.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2005, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
Also note that Bush made satanic signs during the inauguration ceremony.
You're not going to keep bringing up that nonsense, are you? He made the 'hook em horns' sign to the Texas folks as they paraded by.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2005, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Salah al-Din:
The Hidden Passages

Interesting article.
I was wondering if you also listen to records backwards for hidden messages. I think Charlie Manson did that, also.

By the way, what is your problem with Christian tenets?

Curios Meerkat
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2005, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the link, Salah al-Din.

I don't agree with his conclusions, but it's sure interesting to look at the correlations between the speech and certain passages of the Bible.

�somehow we find it hard to sell our values, namely that the rich should plunder the poor. - J. F. Dulles

Salah al-Din  (op)
Banned
Jan 27, 2005, 04:46 AM

Originally posted by medicineman:
I was wondering if you also listen to records backwards for hidden messages. I think Charlie Manson did that, also.

By the way, what is your problem with Christian tenets?
Have I said anything negative about this so far? Or did I say I found it intereting?

sideus
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 04:51 AM

He said God what, like 2 times in his whole speech? People need to get a life.

Curios Meerkat
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2005, 05:06 PM

RTFA. Bush' speech is riddled with Bible references. People interested in understanding Bush' speech may want to know what passages of the Bible he was referring to.

This is a "Political/War Lounge". People come here and discuss/analyze current political events. People like you, posting only trite remarks and trying to stifle the debate, are the ones that need to get a life.

�somehow we find it hard to sell our values, namely that the rich should plunder the poor. - J. F. Dulles

Joshua
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 06:08 PM

Sheesh.

From the article:
When Bush talked about the �untamed fire of freedom� in a passage that included the phrase �hope kindles hope,� he was echoing passages from Jeremiah. For instance, Jeremiah 17:27 says: �I will kindle an unquenchable fire in the gates of Jerusalem.� And Jeremiah 50:32 says: �I will kindle a fire in her towns that will consume all who are around her.�
Here's the passage from the Inaugural Address in context.
From all of you, I have asked patience in the hard task of securing America, which you have granted in good measure. Our country has accepted obligations that are difficult to fulfill and would be dishonorable to abandon. Yet because we have acted in the great liberating tradition of this nation, tens of millions have achieved their freedom.

And as hope kindles hope, millions more will find it. By our efforts, we have lit a fire as well -- a fire in the minds of men. It warms those who feel its power, it burns those who fight its progress, and one day this untamed fire of freedom will reach the darkest corners of our world.
And from Jeremiah, in context:
(17:26) And they shall come from the cities of Judah, and from the places about Jerusalem, and from the land of Benjamin, and from the plain, and from the mountains, and from the south, bringing burnt offerings, and sacrifices, and meat offerings, and incense, and bringing sacrifices of praise, unto the house of the LORD.

_(17:27) But if ye will not hearken unto me to hallow the sabbath day, and not to bear a burden, even entering in at the gates of Jerusalem on the sabbath day; then will I kindle a fire in the gates thereof, and it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem, and it shall not be quenched.

(50:30) Therefore shall her young men fall in the streets, and all her men of war shall be cut off in that day, saith the LORD.

(50:31) Behold, I am against thee, O thou most proud, saith the Lord GOD of hosts: for thy day is come, the time that I will visit thee.

(50:32) And the most proud shall stumble and fall, and none shall raise him up: and I will kindle a fire in his cities, and it shall devour all round about him.
Bush obviously wasn't "referencing" Jeremiah; the bible passages this author claims are related have absolutely nothing to do with Bush's speech. You can go through just about every connection this author alleges and the result will be the same.

I can't believe you people buy into this garbage.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

Curios Meerkat
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2005, 07:24 PM

You mean, nothing to do but messianic rhetoric echoing passages of the Bible? When before has an American President used phrases like "the same yesterday, today, and forever", or "setting captives free", or " longing of the soul"?

Some of you guys are too quick in denying anything that interferes with the neo-con agenda. But that's your job...

Forum Links
Forum Rules