Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Less than 5 floors: Elevator or Stairs?

View Poll Results: Less than 5 floors: Elevator or Stairs?
Poll Options:
Elevator 16 votes (21.05%)
Stairs 60 votes (78.95%)
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll
Less than 5 floors: Elevator or Stairs?
starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2005, 11:17 AM

Which?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

hayesk
Jan 31, 2005, 11:23 AM

I voted stairs. But what really bugs me is at the mall. The moment people step onto an escalator they become invalids. Climb the stairs people!

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 11:27 AM

Gah. Our building has the cafeteria on the 3rd floor, and we just got new tenants on 2 that take the elevator one f@#$%*^ floor going up and down all the time.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 11:33 AM

If you think this is sexy...

...then use the stairs (works for men, too)!!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by hayesk:
I voted stairs. But what really bugs me is at the mall. The moment people step onto an escalator they become invalids. Climb the stairs people!
Maybe I'm just lazy, but isn't that what escalators are for? It carries you, therefore you don't have to walk when you're on one.

And I guess I am lazy... I'm the only one who voted elevator, though it really depends on the circumstances. Obviously if I'm carrying something big and heavy, I'll take the elevator. I lived on the fifth floor of the dorm last school year and I always took the elevator to go to the cafeteria on the basement (zero) level. But I did take the stairs to get basically anywhere else in the building.

At the library where I work, technically it's under five floors to go from the foundation level (sub-sub-basement) to the second floor, but I doubt I'd take the time to take all the stairs. It probably doesn't help that it would also involve a significant amount of lateral movement to get from the top of one set of stairs to the base of the next set, significantly lengthening the amount of time.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 11:42 AM

I have a dislike for putting my life in the hands of others when not absolutely essential - those workmen installing the elevator safety features might have been thinking about the game/their divorce/tomorrow's breakfast instead of the job - so I take the stairs every time.

Yep. If I had to get to the top of the Empire State, I'd still use the stairs.
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 11:46 AM

Stairs, unless I'm carrying a whole lot of crap

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2005, 12:04 PM

Stairs, unless my knees are giving me trouble.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 12:14 PM

Depends. Some buildings just have concrete stairs and those things are murder in the winter (wet mucky boots, smooth painted concrete).

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2005, 12:28 PM

I usually also like to walk. Will even walk on an escalator, they just run too slow.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2005, 04:07 PM

Up or down?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2005, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
I have a dislike for putting my life in the hands of others when not absolutely essential - those workmen installing the elevator safety features might have been thinking about the game/their divorce/tomorrow's breakfast instead of the job - so I take the stairs every time.

Yep. If I had to get to the top of the Empire State, I'd still use the stairs.
MMmmm... Sounds like an irrational fear to me. I had an irrational fear of elevators once, after I got into one without my mum when I was very young and got very scared when I looked around and she wasn't there.

Over it now, but I still often take the stairs in preference. And I almost always walk up escalators, but that's normally because they're in stations and I'm in a rush to get somewhere

agentz
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 04:44 PM

Stairs, unless:

a) I'm carrying a pile o' shite

or

b) I'm hungover

I'm a bit like Sherwin in that I really don't like elevators, but not to the same extent. I used to have lectures on the 9th floor of a building and I'd take the stairs.
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 31, 2005, 04:48 PM

I use the stairs. Escalators move too slow and I am impatient.

sideus
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 05:06 PM

Stairs. Because where I work has no elevators.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
Stairs, unless I'm carrying a whole lot of crap
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2005, 05:45 PM

Elevator, over the years I've done too much damage to my knees.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2005, 07:00 PM

The person afraid of elevators has seen too many movies. There are NUMEROUS failsafes built-in to elevators which keep them from falling in an emergency.

As far as folks on escalators go, PLEASE QUEUE TO THE RIGHT. Some of us have a place to be in a hurry and you are blocking ingress.

Thank you.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 07:14 PM

Stairs.
During the time you have spent waiting for the lift (UK resident term) to arrive, people to get out and the lift to start moving I could usually be most of the way up.
There always seams some global truths about Lift use, with me anyway.
1. the lift I am waiting for will be at the other end of the shaft.
2. When the lift eventually gets to me, I will have been joined be some people with prams (pushchairs US).
3. The lift will ALWAYS continue in the opposite direction to the one I wanted. i.e. ground floor going up, the lift continues to the basement, sub level car-park etc.
3. If the lift is in a store, mall or a 'shoppers car park' on the intermediate stops I will be joined by more 'pram people'.
4. Non of the aforementioned 'pram people' will ever want to get out at my floor, making getting out an exercise in polite shoving.

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 07:14 PM

escalator. **** the pansies who drank their 600 calorie starbucks coffee, they can have the stairway.
Aloha

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2005, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
Up or down?
good call.

my only situation like this is in a parking garage...

end of the day? id probably just take the elevator. (going up)

beginning? stairs. (going down).

Joshua
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 09:03 PM

I usually take the elevator, but that's because I'm usually going up or down 10+ floors.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2005, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
The person afraid of elevators has seen too many movies.
Not here. This person who doesn't like elevators has had first had experience of workmen not doing their job properly (i.e. rear axle, no oil, 80 mph - the day after a major service which should have included putting the oil back into the axle).

I just don't trust my fellow man to do his job properly. See the Windows Security Team for details.

Escalators, fine - no problem with those. I still walk up them though.

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2005, 09:17 PM

I'll use the stairs unless I'm carrying stuff or if I'm tired

theJoKell
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2005, 10:03 PM

Not here. This person who doesn't like elevators has had first had experience of workmen not doing their job properly (i.e. rear axle, no oil, 80 mph - the day after a major service which should have included putting the oil back into the axle).

I just don't trust my fellow man to do his job properly. See the Windows Security Team for details.

Well then wouldn't you avoid the stairs too? How do you know they were built properly? Hell, with that argument you'd have to avoid all technology altogether.

deej5871
Senior User
Feb 1, 2005, 10:38 PM

That reminds me of an SNL sketch where their escalator broke down and stopped and the people on it acted just like people do when elevators break down in the movies. 'Twas a funny sketch.

Aiglos
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2005, 11:21 PM

At home: elevators, i live on the 16th floor.

At work, stairs all the time (4th floor) unless i have to change the gas tanks or carry a crap load of solvent canisters/bottles, it's mandatory to use a cart both instances. Of course, who the hell carries a gas tank down the stairs...

What bugs me is people in the building I live in take the elevator to go to the first floor from the basement. Holy frig, no wonder North America is so obese.

nate_02
Senior User
Feb 2, 2005, 12:10 AM

4 floors is usually my limit unless I know the elvators are really slow.
-nate

Klay2122
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2005, 02:18 AM

I pretty much always take the stairs but military dorms usually do not have anything else but stairs. 4 is the magic number of floors that the military can have and do not have to put in an elevator. So I guess I am glad the highest my room has been is on the 3rd. Its just when I have really heavy boxes I wish there was another option but for the most part I do not care.
Diztantendz coming soon...

Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 03:35 AM

Stairs for anything < 5.

As far as escalators go, people really should stand on the right, and leave the left side clear for people who are actually walking up/down the escalator . This is how I saw it done in Korea. It's bloody great. It sucks here. Fat lazy people.. grr.....

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by 11011001:
As far as escalators go, people really should stand on the right, and leave the left side clear for people who are actually walking up/down the escalator.
Agreed.

It's a unwritten rule here that people should stand on the left side of the escalator. We drive on the left, you drive on the right - so it's "mimic road rules" and stand on whichever side you'd be on if you were driving.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 10:50 AM

I tend to use the stairs, since it is a great form of everyday exercise.

hayesk
Feb 2, 2005, 07:57 PM

You are not dead from it, are you? Hence, Skip Breakfast's point stands, doesn't it?

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
You are not dead from it, are you?
I could have been. It's not too pleasant having an axle locking solid at 80 mph.

Forum Links
Forum Rules