Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > somewhat personal question: am I the only one?

somewhat personal question: am I the only one?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2005, 08:57 PM

Am I the only one that pretty much wants nothing to do with mainstream culture?

- I couldn't care less about the vast majority of what is on TV (e.g. Reality TV), with the exception of The Daily Show and possibly things like the Simpsons.

- I couldn't care less about mainstream music, fashion, reading about other people's relationship problems, etc.

- I couldn't care less about any sports team, the Superbowl, local college parties, shopping, etc.

A relative of mine is putting together her wedding in a very traditional way. I find the typical "get a DJ, MC, rehearsal dinner, etc." and all of that typical fare nauseatingly unoriginal and boring. If I didn't love this family member and the person she is marrying dearly, I'd really rather not be there.

Am I the only one that would just rather shut out mainstream culture?

I do have intense interests, I do follow things like politics, I do love intelligent conversation (as opposed to innane conversation, another seemingly common facet of mainstream culture), etc. I like talking with people, it isn't like I desire to be a loner or some sort of hermit. I do have some social skills, although some are perhaps underdeveloped. I'm not terribly shy.

Anybody else feel the same way? Somehow it would be comforting to know that I'm not alone =)

Sorry for this very random and somewhat self-serving post.
( Last edited by besson3c; Feb 4, 2005 at 09:17 PM. )

Kilbey
Baninated
Feb 4, 2005, 09:04 PM

It's called "maturity."

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 09:06 PM

In before someone picks you up on saying 'could care less' instead of 'couldn't care less'.

On-Topic: I don't think you're the only one. We all enjoy what we enjoy. I don't follow football teams like most people in this country. Someone else I know doesn't watch TV. You might not be mainstream for where you live, but if you were to move elsewhere, you might find you are suddenly mainstream.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 09:06 PM

no, you're not the only one. me and most of my friends are that way, too.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2005, 09:14 PM

Uh, it's a good thing you feel that way... why do you talk as if it's not? Have more confidense man.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by besson3c:
- I could care less about any sports team, the Superbowl, local college parties, shopping, etc.

Me too. Except shopping at the Apple Store.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2005, 09:19 PM

Yes. You are a special, unique and precious flower.

Now get back to work.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2005, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by itistoday:
Uh, it's a good thing you feel that way... why do you talk as if it's not?
It sounds to me like he wants the social comfort that comes with conforming to the mainstream culture but doesn't like the mainstream culture, as evidenced by his desire to know he's not alone in his opinions. Perhaps he lives somewhere that expects everyone to conform to a single perspective.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2005, 09:21 PM

Uh, it's a good thing you feel that way... why do you talk as if it's not?
It just feels that society and much of life is designed to suit the needs of the mainstream, and since this doesn't resonate with me I sometimes think I'm missing out on something. I usually pride myself on my originality and don't generally think my feelings are a bad thing (I still don't), but sometimes it is a little tiresome to swim upstream all of the time.

Given my list, I know there will be people who also don't like some of those things. I'm kind of curious as to how many people are disinterested with the *vast majority* of mainstream culture like me, or whether I truely stand (nearly) alone.
( Last edited by besson3c; Feb 4, 2005 at 09:27 PM. )

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2005, 09:23 PM

Uh, it's a good thing you feel that way... why do you talk as if it's not? Have more confidense man.
I'm really not expecting you guys to prop me up or something, I don't really have self confidence problems.

In addition to wondering how common my feelings are, I was also sort of wondering if anybody resonated enough with what I was saying to offer some of their own experiences, as I'm sort of interested in hearing how others deal with this.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2005, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Yes. You are a special, unique and precious flower.

Now get back to work.
Isn't it a bit of a jump to think that I wrote what I wrote simply because I was hoping somebody would write me and tell me I'm a good person?

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2005, 09:35 PM

Isn't it a bit of a jump to think that I wrote what I wrote simply because I was hoping somebody would write me and tell me I'm a good person?
The was implied.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2005, 09:36 PM

You're not alone, and it has to do with interests, and nothing to do with maturity. Many inventors, artists, scientists, etc., usually live outside of the mainstream, because their focus on their interests are more intense than a perfunctory interest in which celebrity is married to whom, and which football player makes too much money, etc.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 09:50 PM

The fact that you properly said "I couldn't care less..." immediately puts you in the 98th percentile.
I, ASIMO.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
The fact that you properly said "I couldn't care less..." immediately puts you in the 98th percentile.
..except that he edited that change in after I pointed it out

alligator
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 10:33 PM

Actually, you're unique. Just like everyone else.

lewd0006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 10:56 PM

Interesting, but the biggest question on my mind these days: why doesn't anyone still play frisbee?

I just got a job at an apple store... I'm so mainstream it hurts.
Fight for Innovation.

cultofmac.blogspot.com

Joshua
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 11:12 PM

If you're in your 18-29 and have decided you don't want anything to do with the "mainstream," you aren't nearly as far from the mainstream as you think.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 11:16 PM

Usually it has nothing to do with mainstream culture. Most of us aren't big on "main stream" to any great extent. We tolerate it, even engage in it, but aren't all that into it. I think you're pointing more towards culture and to some extent the monotony. I could be wrong but your comments about this wedding seems at odd with a dislike for mainstream culture.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2005, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Joshua:
If you're in your 18-29 and have decided you don't want anything to do with the "mainstream," you aren't nearly as far from the mainstream as you think.
Give him 10 more years to realize that

-t

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 12:13 AM

Posting in computer forums is pretty mainstream too.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 12:27 AM

i don't really understand the comparison to football. football isn't mainstream, people watch/play football because they enjoy the sport. people don't watch football because its "cool" they watch football because they like to watch football. the same with college parties, if someone parties and goes out with friends most of the time its because they like to do those things. but what do i know i'm probably mainstream too, since i watch football and go to parties and at the occasional reality tv and such.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Ham Sandwich
Feb 5, 2005, 12:33 AM

Am I the only one that pretty much wants nothing to do with mainstream culture?
Crap, man. It's like you're in my head.

How do I deal with it? You tell me. It's Friday night, almost midnight and I'm posting on a computer message board. Unfortunately, around here being outside the mainstream, which is a huge majority, usually means quite a bit of loneliness.

Meh. Oh, well. At least I have music. Oh. And a free hand.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
Posting in computer forums is pretty mainstream too.
I was going to add that. We've got our own little "mainstream" here, all 15,000 of us mac snowflakes.

Me?

Football-- 10 years ago, I watched 3 games in a row where someone was carried unconcious from the field. Done with that since.

Mainstream music? feh. That's why god made the intarweb. There's a universe of great music out there. Find what you like, and don't let anybody tell you what is good. You'll know it when you hear it.

TV started bad and stayed that way. TV Panders to the lowest common denominator in nearly every way. "Intelligent" shows fail, because average/=intelligent, so there's just not enough people to watch 'em. Remember-- networks arent in the business of providing programming to viewers, they're in the business of providing viewers to advertisers. By pretty much any means neccessary.

Radio? See above.

Fashion WAHT?

Anyway, no you're not alone-- You're in teh lounge!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2005, 12:45 AM

What happens when it's mainstream to avoid the mainstream?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
What happens when it's mainstream to avoid the mainstream?
We'll have to avoid that too, by going mainstream. But wait...

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

yukon
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 01:43 AM

Same thing here. Unfortunatly, women seem to like many of the mainstream things, not sure why and I'm sure there are some really hard to find exceptions (read: exceptional women I can't find), just an observation.

Check out the "underground" of each thing you enjoy. For example, I listen to some awesome music, genres that the people I meet haven't even heard of. You use a Mac, which used to be safe, might need to start using Linux to stay out of the mainstream ;-).

There's lots you can do to be different, just try to be different for the right reasons. People type QWERTY, I type Dvorak. People use PCs, I use Macs and PCs. People drink coffee, I drink tea. Typing speed (arguably, or just less finger traveling distance), utility and enjoyment, health benefits. All I can advise is to take each thing you do, and think about it, research, and choose the best option. And if you think of something silly everyone does, tell me too ;-)
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 01:45 AM

or just do what you enjoy doing. if it is or isn't mainstream who cares you enjoy it.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by Mafia:
or just do what you enjoy doing. if it is or isn't mainstream who cares you enjoy it.
No no no, you have to do the EXACT opposite of what everyone is doing to be cool.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
No no no, you have to do the EXACT opposite of what everyone is doing too be cool.
lol EXACTLY! to many people are trying not to be mainstream instead of just being themselves

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2005, 02:45 AM

If you really didn't care, you wouldn't have posted this thread.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
No no no, you have to do the EXACT opposite of what everyone is doing to be cool.
Bart: Dad, what you just said was powerfully uncool.
Homer: You know what the song says: "It's hip to be square."
Lisa: That song is so lame.
Homer: So lame that it's... cool?
Bart and Lisa: No.
Marge: Am I cool, kids?
Marge: Good. I'm glad. And that's what makes me cool�not caring, right?
Marge: Well, how the hell do you be cool? I feel like we've tried everything here.
Homer: Wait, Marge. Maybe if you're truly cool, you don't need to
be told you're cool.
Bart: Well, sure you do.
Lisa: How else would you know?

Forum Links
Forum Rules