Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How Many Hours A Week Do You Work?

How Many Hours A Week Do You Work?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 03:57 PM

The French only work 35 hours a week.

I'm thinking that the French are either lazy...or lucky.

Most Americans work about 50 hours a week and salaried employees work 60 or more hours a week.

What about you MacNNers?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 04:06 PM

Typically 40 hours a week (I take 1 hour lunch per day). I am on salary.

I take my full 2 weeks vacation and 5 personal days and 5 sick days per year (usually the same weeks each year)

Since I get 1 month off work per year, that works out to 37 hours per week if you spread it over the full 52 weeks.

Perhaps the French are figuring it out that way?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 04:09 PM

Important question: Where are you?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Feb 5, 2005, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Most Americans work about 50 hours a week and salaried employees work 60 or more hours a week. ...
I worked in the US for six years and have never worked with and/or met anyone who had either of those numbers (50, 60 hours) or anything even close written in their employment contracts. FYI, quite a few European countries have the same official 35 hr. work week.

Maybe they're getting more work done in less time? </kidding>

That being said - if you double the official French number you're getting closer to what I'm putting in. Then again I work "into my own pocket" and don't have to report to anyone - that alone makes it worth my while.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 04:24 PM

40 on my salary job, freelance is extra.

Canada
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 5, 2005, 04:28 PM

Huh, I'm working overtime right now, yet another double shift. I average 50-55 hours a week, sometimes more depending on how crazy the crazies get. That's just for my job. I have my own businesses that take up more of my time. But I'm kind of a workaholic, so I don't mind.
Nemo me impune lacesset

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2005, 04:28 PM

40-50 hours a week depending upon the circumstances. I'm salary. I get 18 vacation days a year and 12 sick days.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2005, 04:40 PM

23.5 hours at one job, about 6 at another (teaching, so there is some extra time spent making lesson plans, grading papers, etc...), plus about 15 hours/week taking classes.

Kilbey
Baninated
Feb 5, 2005, 04:46 PM

I am required to clock in for 40 hours a week. But if you subtract two 20 minutes breaks and a 30 minute paid lunch, then I am around 35 hours and 50 minutes a week of required work time.

Plus I get a number of vacations and holidays off.

I figured about 29.6 hours per week I have to work if even out throughout the year.

My convoluted math on figuring this out. I am sure it's flawed. I'll let you draw your own conclusions from the data.

35.833 hours x 52 weeks a year = 1863.33 hours per year
minus 140 hours of vacation time
=

minus 40 hours 4th of July bonus time
=

minus MLK day, Good Friday, Easter, Memorial day (and the Friday before it), Labor day, Election day, Thanksgiving (and the day after), 8 days at Christmas, and Veteran's day. (18 days x 8 hours = 144)
=
Equals 1539.33 hours I work per year.

so 1539.33 hours per year/52 weeks per year equals 29.6 hours per week.

nerd
Senior User
Feb 5, 2005, 05:18 PM

I do about 45 a week if you average the year out. Last year I made $8,500 in overtime do that average might be more. Out of that 45 hours a week there's probably at least 1.5 hours a day of internet time at work. I could really be more productive but I also receive calls at home from work about 4 times a week so I figure it's all good. Some of those calls are 4am ones. Just when I start to sleep really deep.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 05:18 PM

I work at an at-home office. I put in about 30 hours a week. That is part-time at-home freelance work designed to add to my personal spending budget.

My spouse works, literally, 10 to 12 hours a day 5 days a week and even today went in for another 6 hours and has sometimes logged a 70-hour work week.

Like ThinkInsane, a workaholic.

Hope your day goes well, ThinkInsane.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 05:22 PM

Important question: Where are you?
Florida

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 05:23 PM

i have two jobs. first one, i'm scheduled for 35 hours a week but i usually end up with 25 or so.

second one, i'm scheduled for 22 hours a week but end up with something like 18 instead (sometimes i cover shifts).

so, i guess like 40. but i start at 11 and i'm done at 11 on my late nights, so i can't really complain.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 05:25 PM

Typically 45-50 hours; sometimes more during big projects. Last year we changed backend systems, and spent lots of extra hours integrating our website platform, testing, and working the bugs out. I carried a crapload of vacation over from last year.

As for Europe, when I worked there, there were a *lot* of holidays, and people often left early on Fridays, but often more than made up for it working extra hours.
( Last edited by xi_hyperon; Feb 5, 2005 at 05:30 PM. )

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Feb 5, 2005, 05:27 PM

Germany, 40 hours a week, 26 days vacation.
If reading medical journals and books counts as work add another 5-10 hours a week.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

agentz
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 05:29 PM

Contracted to do 36 hours per week, usually do between 42 and 47 per week. Flexi time is in operation with a carryover allowance of +15 hours or -10 hours, maximum allowable flexi time off per month of 1.5 days. 30 days annual leave, 7 public holidays and sick days when needed, up to (I think) five 'instances' (not days) in a rolling 6 month period. Also available are 5 days paid for family care purposes, special paid leave (to a max of 5 days) at the head of service's discretion and up to 10 days unpaid leave (again at HOS discretion).

Not too bad.
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 05:31 PM

I'm thinking that the French are either lazy...or lucky.
[/B]
... or smart?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 05:35 PM

I'm in school, but during my summers I make enough money to pay my tuition by working at a medium-construction-type company in Toronto.

Hours are basically unlimited, but I try to set all the records for the most worked. This past summer at one point in June-July I worked 5 straight weeks without a day off, with weekly work hours ranging from 88.5 to 116.5.

It's not the easiest on the body to be sure, because the work's pretty strenuous and I'm also often driving large box trucks around...but on the other hand, I don't know too many other university people who can make over 18 grand in three and a half months working at a summer job. I sure wouldn't be able to do it for a living, but hacking it out for a few months to pay my way through school isn't so bad....

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 05:39 PM

I'm a full time student, so I can't really answer the question. But my friends who went straight into a job post-college are working anywhere from 45-60 hours a week. The friend working the fewest hours is in publishing, the most is in commercial lending.

Before retiring, my father would usually spend 10-12 hours per day in the office, then he would put in another hour or two at home in the evenings. He also had business trips at least two weekends out of every month.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 05:45 PM

20 hours a week of work, and 7.5 hours a week of classes (plus one web-based class which technically takes up 0 hours a week but of course that's not the case). I have been looking for a second part-time job but my current hours are such that it's difficult to fit it in, even though I'm not busy all that often. I almost made it into a flexible 10 hour a week job about a month ago, but it fell through sadly.

I've just been really frugal for the past few months and I can get by. But I'm lucky my parents are helping me through college as much as they are. They basically told me they'd pay 2/3 and I'd pay 1/3, and that works out pretty closely to me paying for food, rent and utilities and them paying for tuition. 2/3 and 1/3 sounds like a lot for them to pay, but they're pretty well off. My mom got through college paying 1/2 of her tuition, but back then college was a lot cheaper, even accounting for inflation.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 05:49 PM

I work 45. I play the rest of the time.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2005, 05:50 PM

45 - 50 hours a week. 50 - 60 when I'm oncall. To think a year and a half ago I was working 35 hours a week...
Joe

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 05:57 PM

still in school but work about 25 hours a week.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 06:12 PM

I'm an Electrical Engineer designing specialized IC's, and pretty much everyone in this field is salaried. I've worked up to 60 hours on occasion during project crunch-times. But only rarely -- I find that my productivity drops off after more than two weeks of that. I average 45 hours or so, but in between projects I am the Master of the Long Lunch, so not all of that time is productive every week. Since my job is very project-and goal-oriented, though, as long as I deliver on my assignments my management doesn't really care what hours I keep.

This means, of course, that I trust my management to not assign more work than I can handle on a regular basis. That trust is one of the main reasons I'm still working at the company I am currently working for.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

bubblewrap
Senior User
Feb 5, 2005, 06:14 PM

I'm salaried and work 60+ sometimes.
But I do make more than $100K/year.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 07:00 PM

i'm theoretically in class for 27.5 hours each week, and also theoretically studying for that much more time. in reality it works out to about 20-25 hours of class, and 5-10 hours of studying per week. much better than the working world where i felt oppressed even when i was in the door at 8:50 am and out at 5:!5 pm...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2005, 07:06 PM

37.5 hours per week. Salary. Can go up to 45-50 hours per week as project deadlines approach.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 07:09 PM

I'm a university student, but during the summers, when I;m doing lab work...

usually 45+ hours a week, wage worker in a lab

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 07:10 PM

i am in NY as a graphic designer...

i should work 40hrs per week w/ 1 hour lunch breaks... (35 hours)

but i am a bastard who comes in early and stays late to get a jump on the morning and to get a jump on tomorrow. for whatever reason... i am not salaried though i get full benefits.

what is the advantage of going "salaried" vs. "non-salaried"? in my company, it means they have to pay me overtime. if i were the company, i would pay me an extra few grand and cut my overtime out. anybody know the real advantages?

macroy
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 07:37 PM

I Work for a Mgmt consulting firm that deals mainly with the government. So we are required to "bill" a minimum of 40 a week. However, we also do a lot of unbillable work. So I guess it averages out to be 45-50. I guess the good thing here is that rarely are we allowed to bill OVER 40 a week.

A bit off topic, but - IMO, the notion that time spent at the office = effort or productivity is BS. And I hate it when people operate under that notion. i.e. stay till 7pm and make sure the boss sees you. Or bosses that walk around late in the evening to see whos around. At my last job, the CEO did that. And would make comments about it to those that he did not see - "I noticed that 'joe' was here late.. but didn't see you". The desired reply would've been "Yea, 'cause joe was f**king around all day when I was getting stuff done".

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 07:46 PM

I am in Canada, Quebec.

I am paid for 37.5 hrs a week, but I pull 70 easily, on top I am also 24/7 available for crisis to support staff around the country (60 staff) and I am not paid for that or for the overtime.

I love my job, but I am starting to think I should look for something else.

Oh yes. I am underpaid.

This week I got to see the limits of this: one of my employees did not get paid at all and she got her checks bouncing. My fault. I felt so bad I almost cried. Thank God my Boss managed to do something about it.

There is a limit to what we can do.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 07:53 PM

Right now: about 40 (its the slow time of year)
8 months ago: about 60 (~43 at main job, 17 at second job)
1 year ago: about 34 (1 extended part time job)
2 years ago: zero ::yay!!: (took 10 months off after leaving the the next line)
2.5 - 6.0 years ago: ~60 (one job, straight salary, no overtime). It actually went more like 70 hrs (6-7 days per week) for several weeks at a stretch (leading up to product release .. I was a windows coder) and then ~50 for several weeks at a stretch (that was the "rest" time).
6.0 -8.0 years ago: ~50 (~40 + 10 part time).

I have a standard pattern. If I have a job that is reliably around 40hrs, I usually get a second job. If I have a job that requires much more than 40, I just stick with the one job.

And APU ... the only advantage I see to salary is that you always know exactly what you'll be paid and bossess/companies don't seem to care about tracking things like doctors appointments, how long you take for lunch etc. .. as long as you get your work done. I guess another advantage of salary is that if it ever gets slow or easy for a spell, you still get paid the same too . Generally though, salaried work is a bad deal. It usually signifies that a company wants you to take final responsibility for x, y, and z ... and do whatever it takes (hour wise) to make sure that those things are taken care of.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 07:56 PM

What about you Cody?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
What about you Cody?
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...53#post2393862

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 08:02 PM

I am in Canada....I work a 37.50 hour week and try hard as I can to keep it at that. At the moment I earm 1.25 sick days every month.....I get 25 vacation days plus 2 "other" days off.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 08:15 PM

What about you Cody?
Mithras, I started the thread,

But, maybe you're asking for more info? My spouse and I put in about 90 hours a week combined (but I am at home and do freelance work) and our combined salary is 6 figures. Before I was at home doing work I went to an office. I miss the office, actually, the routine of getting up and showering and coffee-ing and driving and working...though, working at home has advantages also. Mainly, that our children have a wonderful daycare-free existence.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 5, 2005, 08:31 PM

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 08:41 PM

I work 30 hours, plus I write at night.

I once worked at a job where the boss measured your dedication to "success" by how much overtime you took. I would work my a$$ off from 9-5 and he'd give me dirty looks when I went home at 5. The girl I trained would stay an hour or two later every night; he promoted her ahead of me. That's when I said, **** it, a job like this isn't worth my time and gave my two weeks notice.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 08:52 PM

i currently work with 2 "junior" designers. they both leave more or less ont he spot at 5 whereas i stay until 5:30 just to make sure emergencies dont pop up and to let things settle down in the quietness... totally my choice and i dont look down on them for leaving.

HOWEVER... one girl comes early. i don't think it particularly makes her better IMO but i think it's a good indication she doesn't hate work and enjoys making the effort*. i would say from my own personal experience of staying later than everyone else... i don't hate work enough not to stay a mere 15-30 minutes later so i think staying late can mean you don't hate work either. coming early is a more clear sign though.

*[not just twice a week or in a blue moon, consistently everyday 20-30 minutes early]

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 09:39 PM

I'm a full time student at the University of Maryland and I work a few hours a week for dining services, but not too much. During the summer though I work 36 hours and took a class that was 12 hours/wk. The 36 hours was three 12 hour shifts for a private ambulance company and I almost always ended up staying late. It got in the way sometimes, but usually I was just happy with the few extra bucks.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 10:03 PM

anywhere from 40 to 60 - usually about 45

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2005, 10:07 PM

My spouse and I put in about 90 hours a week combined
Nice dodge.

You're working at home/doing freelance, so I assume that your wife works at an office and is possibly on salary. You said that salaried workers spend about 60 hours at work. Should we assume that your wife is spending 50-60 hours per week at work and you are working 30-40 hours per week?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Nice dodge.

You're working at home/doing freelance, so I assume that your wife works at an office and is possibly on salary. You said that salaried workers spend about 60 hours at work. Should we assume that your wife is spending 50-60 hours per week at work and you are working 30-40 hours per week?
Why don't you read Cody Dawg's post above?

Nevermind... I'll quote it for you:
I work at an at-home office. I put in about 30 hours a week. That is part-time at-home freelance work designed to add to my personal spending budget.

My spouse works, literally, 10 to 12 hours a day 5 days a week and even today went in for another 6 hours and has sometimes logged a 70-hour work week.
FYI: I think Cody Dawg is the wife..

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2005, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
FYI: I think Cody Dawg is the wife..
meh ... I could never keep it straight ...

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
meh ... I could never keep it straight ...
it's ok, it thought tooki was french poodle for my first year

* j/k, please don't ban me

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 11:59 PM

I like going into work a bit early...10-15 minutes, usually. Its nice to relax and take in the "vibes" before everyone else comes in.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2005, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
I like going into work a bit early...10-15 minutes, usually. Its nice to relax and take in the "vibes" before everyone else comes in.
I'm the same way. Nice to ease into the day, plus it allows for a bit of a cushion should the be anything unexpected on the drive in.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2005, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
I tend to start early in the morning, before most of the office arrives....I can get done in that early 1 hour what might take 2 or 3 hours later in the day what with all the interuptions and phone calls...
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2005, 01:47 AM

Yeah, I'm the babysitter, the chef, the maid, the errands runner, the window washer, the launderer, budget balancer, the grocery shopper, the child transporter, the field trip escort, the nurse at home, the hostess (like at a Superbowl party tomorrow), and the person who works 30 hours a week to earn a paycheck...

AND the wife.

(I'm just not a desperate housewife...yet.)

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2005, 02:09 AM

38-40 hours.

Forum Links
Forum Rules