Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What applications benefits from L3 cache?

What applications benefits from L3 cache?
bossep
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2005, 06:08 AM

What applications benefits from L3 cache? If I am not using those apps. I can as well go for the Sonnet 1.7GHz. I am going to install an ATI 9800 card, and then it's a pretty good idea to go for a cpu that is not that power hungry. Just a thought.

yikes600
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2005, 06:38 AM

Everything benefits... especially games. Granted, this is an old article, but I found an XLR8YourMac review comparing an 800MHz/2MB L3 G4 upgrade to an 800MHz G4 without a L3. The difference is pretty big (app tests are on the previous page).

bossep  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2005, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by yikes600:
Everything benefits... especially games. Granted, this is an old article, but I found an XLR8YourMac review comparing an 800MHz/2MB L3 G4 upgrade to an 800MHz G4 without a L3. The difference is pretty big (app tests are on the previous page).
Thanks! Simply, can't make up my mind!! Why not? 200W power supply in my computer, want to install the ATI 9800 Mac Edition in addition to the cpu upgrade. Will it be enough power no matter 1.2, 1.4 or 1.7GHz? What about heat and sound, two additional fans!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2005, 10:22 AM

The L3 cache was used in the G4 to compensate for its very slow connection to main memory, its front-side bus. The cache does improve performance.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bossep  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2005, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
The L3 cache was used in the G4 to compensate for its very slow connection to main memory, its front-side bus. The cache does improve performance.
The choice is simple with other words, when you know how my old computer is working? My system bus is a 100MHz, that gives that the best for me is a cpu with Level 3 support, right?

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Mar 8, 2005, 03:56 PM

well, your PSU DEFINITELY comes into play. and besides, the difference between a 1.2 with L3 and a 1.8 without L3... the 1.8 will win on clockspeed alone. plus, the 7447A draws less power than the 7455B and that is a MAJOR reason for going 7447A because your dinky PSU will be pushing it otherwise because you'll have that Radeon 9800 pro.

find the power requirements and then buy the one that draws the least.

yikes600
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2005, 05:12 PM

I'd definitely go with the 1.8GHz 7447A if cost were equal, but since a 1.5GHz/2MB 7455B is alot cheaper it's not an easy decision. The speed is roughly even according to OWC benchmarks. I'd ask Giga on this one whether your power supply can handle a 7455B with that Radeon 9800 (I would guess YES since you didn't mention any additional hard drives or PCI cards).

Forum Links
Forum Rules