Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How Do You Get That Lonely

How Do You Get That Lonely
tavilach
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 02:37 AM

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...deoId=45529159

I was browsing through the latest music videos on iTunes, and saw this guy's picture. I figured, "I wonder if this twelve year old can actually sing!" I clicked it, and I guess this guy is a bit older than twelve. I definetely wasn't expecting the voice from the picture.

In any case, the song really touched me. I also think that those who watch it will be less likely to commit suicide, as strange as that sounds. I know that if the thought ever crossed my mind, and I remembered this song, I would remember what the consequences of my actions would be. Sometimes its hard to remember these things, especially when you're in that frame of mind. I wouldn't want to make those close to me miserable, and I wouldn't want people to think that I didn't appreciate them, or that I didn't feel loved.

It's also pretty darn catchy . In a sad way...

I do have some problems with it, though. First of all, imagine watching this video after someone close to you had commit suicide, or even years later? I'd feel absolutely horrible, and that's just not fair. You never know what went through a person's mind before ending their lives, and it's not always as simple as being dumped, losing a "fight with drugs or alcohol," or your mom and dad forgetting to say "I love you son." The line, "I'm not blaming anybody, we all do the best we can" might make some people feel a little better, but it's quite a contradiction. He obviously is blaming, and he shouldn't be. My great uncle commit suicide some years ago, and I know that it was for none of those reasons. It's too bad that the message of the song comes at this price.

Anyway...discuss .

P.S. Is it just me, or are many of the women in this video really beautiful? It seems kind of weird that they'd pick such gorgeous women for such a sad and down-to-earth song. Maybe it's just me.
( Last edited by tavilach; Mar 12, 2005 at 02:44 AM. )
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2005, 02:55 AM

Thanks.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

historylme
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 03:23 AM

I was so not expecting that voice of his... that was funny how I had prejudged his charter and then was surprised by the tone. Good stuff.

and the video is quite touching.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 11:41 AM

At first, I thought it was an actor doing lipsync for the video but it's really Blaine Larsen. I wish I had a deep voice like that.

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2005, 12:10 PM

Without sadness there can be no happiness.
-\
-/

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2005, 01:37 PM

Well, I'm thoroughly depressed now. that boy's got some skills.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 02:30 PM

Touching words and a great voice. It is country though and not remarkable country either.

It might be the only song of that genre to make it into my playlist.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2005, 02:39 PM

It's a sad song.

Most people don't commit suicide because they are lonely. Most have a mental illness.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by sugar_coated:
Without sadness there can be no happiness.
Kind of like the happiness we could gain from you being banned?

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
It's a sad song.

Most people don't commit suicide because they are lonely. Most have a mental illness.
Yes, depression is a mental illness, but that doesn't mean they aren't lonely. Mental illness or not, humans have feelings...and a mental illness is a part of a person's personality, and not something separate.
( Last edited by tavilach; Mar 12, 2005 at 07:35 PM. )
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2005, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Kind of like the happiness we could gain from you being banned?
Stop being so hateful.
-\
-/

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2005, 07:39 AM

you guys are a bunch of saps. what the ****.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
you guys are a bunch of saps. what the ****.
Look at all that testacerone! I bow down to you, sir!

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 13, 2005, 10:10 PM

It's a sad song.

Depression IS a mental illness, particularly if it goes unchecked for too long. Lonliness indeed can deepen and worsen depression.

A lot of suicides don't have someone to tell them that they aren't alone with their problems, and that they are strong enough to get past them. It's true of all of us; we AREN'T ALONE, and we ALL ARE STRONG ENOUGH TO GET PAST OUR PROBLEMS. No life is so badly damaged that it is beyond help, nor is any soul beyond support.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by ghporter:
Depression IS a mental illness, particularly if it goes unchecked for too long. Lonliness indeed can deepen and worsen depression.

A lot of suicides don't have someone to tell them that they aren't alone with their problems, and that they are strong enough to get past them. It's true of all of us; we AREN'T ALONE, and we ALL ARE STRONG ENOUGH TO GET PAST OUR PROBLEMS. No life is so badly damaged that it is beyond help, nor is any soul beyond support.
Suicide... Read this first

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2005, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by SimpleLife:

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 14, 2005, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by SimpleLife:
Fantastic resource! Thanks for posting it.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 09:08 AM

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2005, 09:41 AM

I said lonely... millions of people feel lonely on a daily basis and just because you are lonely doesn't necessarily mean you have a mental illness.

V
Senior User
Mar 14, 2005, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
http://www.satanservice.org/coe/suicide/guide/
!!!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2005, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
http://www.satanservice.org/coe/suicide/guide/
WTF ?

a. Bridges
To: alt.suicide.holiday
Subject: Re: Bridges vs. Buildings

[...]

Good reasons for using a bridge:

* Less chance of hitting anyone walking on the pavement. Friend of mine ended up falling onto someone, who died. Now my friend is in jail for manslaughter.

Ok, I understand now. It's satire... Or not

-t

itistoday
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 04:58 PM

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2005, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
Look at all that testacerone! I bow down to you, sir!
Keep your head close to the ground for another moment while i spell "testosterone" properly, you sap.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2005, 07:07 PM

Fantastic resource! Thanks for posting it.
You are welcome. That is actually what I do for a living. Always glad to help!

itistoday
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 07:07 PM

edit: nm

demograph68
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by itistoday:
Maddox also has some thoughts on this subject...
Maddox is fucking funny though I hate his inflated ego.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 14, 2005, 07:56 PM

I said lonely... millions of people feel lonely on a daily basis and just because you are lonely doesn't necessarily mean you have a mental illness.
Absolutely true, but there were so many other posts refering to suicide, particularly the one that said people who commit suicide are mentally ill, that I had to chime in.

I spent over 23 years in the Air Force. Amazingly, one of the leading causes of death to military personnel is suicide! We were innundated with facts, statistics, and training on how to identify those at risk, who to get help for, and who to get help from. But what really hit home for me was when someone who I was responsible for attempted suicide and I couldn't do anything about it.

It really didn't help that I could have told everyone involved "I told you so" after he tried it, since their hands were pretty much tied, too-the kid was about to be arrested for a drug offense, but we couldn't put him into counselling because his lawyer told him NOT to talk to a shrink because a military psychiatrist can only offer limited confidentiality! The lawyer was more interested in the slight possibility that he might say something that could be held against him than the major possibility (which proved true) that he would try to kill himself. He did time in jail anyway, got a dishonorable discharge, and he'll never be right again. And I couldn't help him!

So I'm trying to help anyone I can, and this is part of it.

(I didn't mean to help hijack the thread, by the way...)

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2005, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
Keep your head close to the ground for another moment while i spell "testosterone" properly, you sap.

I think that's my first spelling error . Okay, maybe not, but it's probably the 6th.

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2005, 12:12 AM

why is that guy wearing lipstick? or are his lips naturally super ruby red?

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2005, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by itistoday:
Maddox also has some thoughts on this subject...
I couldn't find the words to tell my ex that our relationship was over, so one day while we were watching TV I headbutt her in the tits. Then I picked up my jacket and left. No awkward goodbyes, no "still friends" ********. Just a couple of bruised titties and a failed relationship. I rule.
i've read this before, but somehow it's still funny

Forum Links
Forum Rules