Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBooks, new enclosure!

New iBooks, new enclosure! (Page 2)
dcwasabi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 02:07 PM

Buyer's remorse. If only I had waited a couple more months....

osxisfun
Jul 26, 2005, 02:18 PM

Looks like they are saving the good stuff for the i(ntel)Books

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by QuadG5Man
There is build to order 80 and 100 GB drives on the new iBooks. Are these 5400 RPM?
No.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

im_noahselby
Senior User
Jul 26, 2005, 03:14 PM

For all those people out there who are knocking this update, this was actually a really GOOD iBook update, considering Apple's history. I can remember certain iBook refreshes in the past few years where Apple's only update was a marginal processor boost and tiny HD bump. So we should all be happy that Apple is finally beginning to place so many awesome features into this line-up. I won't list them here, because you can just as easily compare the PowerBook lineup with the iBook lineup on Apple's website, but an iBook as it stands today for $999, you can rest assured that you will be getting your money's worth.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

melmic113
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by im_noahselby
For all those people out there who are knocking this update, this was actually a really GOOD iBook update, considering Apple's history. I can remember certain iBook refreshes in the past few years where Apple's only update was a marginal processor boost and tiny HD bump. So we should all be happy that Apple is finally beginning to place so many awesome features into this line-up. I won't list them here, because you can just as easily compare the PowerBook lineup with the iBook lineup on Apple's website, but an iBook as it stands today for $999, you can rest assured that you will be getting your money's worth.

Noah
I absolutely agree -- I'm quite happy with the update and looking forward to getting my new iBook (finally!)

~Melissa
~*~*~*~*~
[FONT=tahoma]G4 iBook / 1.33ghz / 40gb HD / 512mb RAM ~~ iPod 20gb[/FONT]

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 26, 2005, 04:02 PM

I guess it pays to get the stock config. I ordered the stock 12" iBook and the iPod mini without engraving, and my order has gone from Order Received --> Processing Order --> Preparing Shipment all in a matter of a few hours.

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 04:12 PM

I think they should make WideScreen iBooks with screen spanning for more desktop space. I am not a Power user, just an engineering student (well, pre engineering) but I would LOVE to have more desktop space becauase 1024 by 768 pixels just isn't enough if you multi task, at least for me it isn't. I hate having my windows crammed in there, (regardless of Expose trying to fix that)
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

osxisfun
Jul 26, 2005, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I guess it pays to get the stock config. I ordered the stock 12" iBook and the iPod mini without engraving, and my order has gone from Order Received --> Processing Order --> Preparing Shipment all in a matter of a few hours.

Meh. they just like you more since you post more.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2005, 04:56 PM

i think its a good update, if you are worried about the video card you can pick up a refurbed 12" powerbook these days for a pretty good price. the only thing that sucks is everytime a new ibook comes out mine goes down in price

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 26, 2005, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
Very tempting. Sell the iPod, iBook costs: $750.
I'm contemplating doing the same thing. I was going to wait until i(ntel)Books, but I'd want to wait at least until the second generation, which would put me at about 2 years.

$750 for an iBook with those specs is very respectable.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

alimunnik
Jul 26, 2005, 06:06 PM

More of a stop-gap measure than a real upgrade. With the 7448 G4 not scheduled to be PB ready until the snow flies, Apple had to do something to shore up the faltering iBook line.
Once the PB gets its upgrade later this year, it will make economic sense for further iBook enhancements. So there could be a further (and final) upgrade before the end of the year, with the iBook finally breaking the 1.50 GHz barrier, a 64 VRAM card and a faster front side bus and HD speed. Not so sure about widescreen and major cosmetic changes. Those developments will belong to the Intel Revolution.

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2005, 07:22 PM

actually they'd just buy a dell laptop that $750 with instant rebate that comes with 64mb card and widescreen and a faster processor.

Originally Posted by
Bull. If the kids actually cared about playing Doom 3 they'd either have a tricked out PC or they'd be looking at the powerbook. Apple dropped nothing here and the only complaints come from people that want a powerbook for the price of an iBook.

gangster
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 07:42 PM

It would have been SO MUCH MORE with a 9600 non-pro and 64mb vram...........

they saved pennies to protect pb sales!

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 10:29 PM

Was that worth waiting for?... No, not in my opinion. I guess Apple is holding out for the new Intel iBooks. I'm glad I got an older iBook when I did.

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2005, 10:45 PM

techbargins.com is your friend. Every day dell ones coupons for about $500 off of all kinds of things. My buddy has a 10.2? smaller than 12' widescreen dell with a 1.6ghz processor (it's also widescreen) and it has a 64mb nvidia? (i'll ask him tomorrow video card) that he bought brand new from dell for $720. It's fantastic even plays hi-def video with any slowdown. It's amazing the speed of pc portables...

Can't wait till apple finally has intel, maybe we'll finally see some real updates.

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
Other than dual monitor... how are they purposefully crippling these systems?

I'm very interested in knowing where you see Dell systems with 64MB cards for under $1000

I can show you dell systems for around $999 WITHOUT a dedicated 32MB video card.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 11:22 PM

Well, when will the next PB bump come?

As if I could buy one...

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by melmic113
PS - At least they didn't update AFTER the free iPod mini offer ended....now you get a better machine and STILL get the free mini.
Where is the FREE iPod offer?

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2005, 12:27 AM

Here for students and faculty and the like.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2005, 09:27 AM

Just got the email... Mine has shipped already.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 09:34 AM

Congrats on the shipping iBook: Hoping for a review soonest!

Here's a confirmation on core image support from xlr8yourmac.com:
"Confirmation that new iBook Radeon 9550 has Tiger Core Image/Video Support - Earlier today I mentioned the new iBook line is using the Radeon 9550 graphics chip and guessed it had Tiger Core Image/Video support (since the desktop 9550 is based on the R3xx/9600 series) but wrote a contact at ATI who verified it does."

Voch
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 09:36 AM

I'm waitin' for my local CompUSA (or Apple Store way out on the other side of town) to get the new 12" model in stock...this weekend maybe (payday is Saturday)? I really should BTO a bigger hard drive but I want it to be "returnable" in case the screen has a bad pixel or two, the TV-out looks worse than my TiBook's, etc. I'm just being paranoid, I guess...

Voch

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 10:19 AM

Though obviously its not an earth-shattering upgrade, it IS quite nice. Bluetooth is now free, the 40gb drive is passable where the 30 really wasn't IMHO, and the 512mb on the mobo you can get by with just putting another 512mb in the other slot instead of a 1gb chip.

All in all, the new features included make it a very usable package out-of-the-box in stock format whereas before, upgrades were almost required from the get-go. I'm about 75% sure I'll be picking one up on the upcoming tax-free weekend around here.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2005, 01:59 PM

Apple has updated it's Core Image page:

Core Image-capable graphics cards include:
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
ATI Radeon 9550, 9650, 9600, 9600 XT, 9800 XT, X800 XT
nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200
nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL

bri-guy
Jul 27, 2005, 02:39 PM

I don't want to start a whole new thread just to find this out...

Are the new iBooks (July 05) using the 184-pin or the 200-pin PC2700 RAM? I would assume the 200-pin modules because of the size, but I would like to make sure. I ordered an iBook and plan on upgrading the memory myself, considering the price that Apple wants for 1GB of RAM. Crucial doesn't have the new iBooks in their database yet.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2005, 10:11 PM

I love the FedEx tracker widget. It checks the location of my iBook every time I activate Dashboard.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jul 27, 2005 at 10:25 PM. )

freudling
Banned
Jul 27, 2005, 11:18 PM

So, are there any enclosure upgrades?

robco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2005, 11:20 PM

I'm curious about the RAM. Apple states PC2700, which makes sense for the 1.42GHz version, having a faster bus. But shouldn't the 1.33GHz (133MHz bus) still do just fine with PC2100?
TAFKADB

freudling
Banned
Jul 28, 2005, 02:23 AM

As far as seen on the Apple website, no enclosure change. It has to be the case that these iBook's will undergo major revisions at the end of this year. Buy now and then dump it when the new iBook's come out - likely in January. This coming MacWorld Expo 2006 will predictably be big.

The PowerBook's will have hefty processors and video cards (128 mb across the board). The PowerBook's will sport illuminated keyboard across the board as well. The IBook 64 mb vram with different form factor (sleeker, rounder edges frontal keyboard casing, a totally revamped screen design and hinge and a solid keyboard in white). Oh and, a much better trackpad. Widescreen not sure. As for the design, I think it will be a mix of the best aspects of the new PowerBooks, the old clamshell iBook and the new iBooks.

The Imac's will stay the same but config's will greatly be improved.

Powermac's may undergo a major revision as well.

PDA! Apple may finally introduce a PDA to us. I think this coming MacWorld will be the best ever. Apple has finally gotten to the point that OS X is rock solid, fast and feature rich. Their gear finally runs it properly without too many hiccups. We have stuck it out for some time working out the bugs with X (remember OS 10.0?). Even the best Powermac was bogged down on that. With the new equipment and config changes, now is a great time to be an Apple owner.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2005, 04:48 AM

no Apple PDA market. The PDA market is dying as mobile phones take over.

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2005, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
For all the video ram people crying about the size... Dell doesn't even offer more in their $999 systems. That is their borderline between using built in video and 32MB cards. Please feel free to prove me wrong as I only look in three areas of their online store.
Inspiron 600m Qty 1
Pentium® M Processor 725(1.60 GHz/400MHz FSB) 14.1-in XGA w/64MB Video, Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Unit Price $1,174.00
Dell Home Customers: Save $250 off Dell Inspiron 600m!
Limited Time Offer!
- $250.00

Catalog Number: 29
Module Description Show Details
Inspiron 600m Pentium® M Processor 725(1.60 GHz/400MHz FSB) 14.1-in XGA w/64MB Video
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Memory 512MB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms
Hard Drive 40GB Hard Drive
Integrated Modem and NIC Internal 56K Modem and Integrated Network Card
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
Optical 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Wireless Networking Card Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
Office Productivity Software No productivity suite - Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Security Software No Security Subscription
Digital Music Musicmatch® Jukebox Basic
Primary Battery 6-Cell Lithium Ion Battery (53Whr)
Limited Warranty, Services and Support No Extended Service, Support or Ltd Warranty
Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months America Online Internet Access Included
Digital Imaging or Digital Photography Photo Album™ SE Basic
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service & Support
Financial Software No QuickBooks package selected- Includes limited use trial
Dell Media Experience Dell Media Experience™

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dell 720 Color Printer Qty 1
Free Dell Color Printer 720 Unit Price $0.00
Catalog Number: 29
Module Description Show Details
Dell Color Printer 720 Free Dell Color Printer 720
Hardware Support Services 1Yr Ltd. Warranty- Advance Exchange

TOTAL:$924.00

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2005, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Inspiron 600m Qty 1

TOTAL:$924.00
Unfortunately, you left out $49 for the Bluetooth that the iBook has built-in that the Dell doesn't, $25 for the single 512mb dimm in the iBook vs. 2 in the Dell, and a minimum of $79 for 15 months of antivirus software which is required equipment on a PC and all but useless on a Mac (not to mention that it will be a recurring expense for as long as you own the computer).

Then you have XP Home, which is crippled compared to Pro (I've never had regular use of a PC that didn't require Pro for some reason or other to do what I needed it to do). No firewire meaning no hook-up for a DV camcorder unless you add a card. A total yawner of a software bundle compared to iLife and (very importantly, IMO) no free Dev Tools as with OS X. Hard to assign a price tag to these things other than to say that the Dell would be less useful out of the box than the iBook.

Sorry, but your listing proved two things: You CAN configure 64mb ram into a Dell for less money but you CANNOT get an equivalent total system without actually spending more money on the Dell + a recurring Anti-virus software "tax" for using it. Obviously, the Dell advantage is that you don't have to configure in items such as Bluetooth if you don't need them but to make the Dell a true feature-for-feature match to the iBook, the price will end up as high or higher at the outset and more expensive in the long run.

Of course, this is really just a p!ssing match. The real point is that iBooks are very competitively priced for what you actually get. The only drawback is that what you get is far less configurable than in the PC world. Personally, I think 32mb that supports Core-Image is probably more than adequate for 98% of the people using a system with a maximum resolution of 1024 x 768. If you want a system with enough vram for higher-end games, I would tend to question why you would be considering and Apple (first of all) consumer laptop (second of all) to accomplish this in the first place.
( Last edited by Krusty; Jul 28, 2005 at 08:51 PM. )

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Krusty
Unfortunately, you left out $49 for the Bluetooth that the iBook has built-in that the Dell doesn't, $25 for the single 512mb dimm in the iBook vs. 2 in the Dell, and a minimum of $79 for 15 months of antivirus software which is required equipment on a PC and all but useless on a Mac (not to mention that it will be a recurring expense for as long as you own the computer).

Then you have XP Home, which is crippled compared to Pro (I've never had regular use of a PC that didn't require Pro for some reason or other to do what I needed it to do). No firewire meaning no hook-up for a DV camcorder unless you add a card. A total yawner of a software bundle compared to iLife and (very importantly, IMO) no free Dev Tools as with OS X. Hard to assign a price tag to these things other than to say that the Dell would be less useful out of the box than the iBook.

Sorry, but your listing proved two things: You CAN configure 64mb ram into a Dell for less money but you CANNOT get an equivalent total system without actually spending more money on the Dell + a recurring Anti-virus software "tax" for using it. Obviously, the Dell advantage is that you don't have to configure in items such as Bluetooth if you don't need them but to make the Dell a true feature-for-feature match to the iBook, the price will end up as high or higher at the outset and more expensive in the long run.

Of course, this is really just a p!ssing match. The real point is that iBooks are very competitively priced for what you actually get. The only drawback is that what you get is far less configurable than in the PC world. Personally, I think 32mb that supports Core-Image is probably more than adequate for 98% of the people using a system with a maximum resolution of 1024 x 768. If you want a system with enough vram for higher-end games, I would tend to question why you would be considering and Apple (first of all) consumer laptop (second of all) to accomplish this in the first place.

I have an ibook as well as a 600m. My only point was the op said that no dell had a 64mb video card for the price. I use AVG for anti virus it is free and works great.

bri-guy
Aug 2, 2005, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
I have an ibook as well as a 600m. My only point was the op said that no dell had a 64mb video card for the price. I use AVG for anti virus it is free and works great.
Not to mention that being behind a firewall with a well-configured computer helps out immensely. My wife has a 700m and doesn't have virus problems. It might not be as possible if not for the fact that the mail servers she use keep their anti-virus definitions more up-to-date than she can.

Her 700m has a firewire port, so I'm a bit surprised that the 600m doesn't have one.

The one thing that her computer has that I wish the iBook did was the built-in SD card reader. That is very, very useful for us since our digicam uses SD cards.

ink
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 01:55 PM

I love the FedEx tracker widget. It checks the location of my iBook every time I activate Dashboard.
So, did you get it yet?

Do tell! ;-)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 02:01 PM

I got it on Tuesday. Or rather... My workplace got it on Tuesday. However, I was out of town, and couldn't get a flight back to Toronto on Tuesday because of the plane crash. I ended up arriving back yesterday.

I picked up the iBook from work, but was too damn tired to actually pull it out of the box. Yes... if you can believe it, it's still in the shipping box on my living room floor. I'll be sure to hand in my Mac geek ID when I exit this thread...

I'll check it out tonite after I pick up my luggage from the airport. With all the scheduling mayhem, my luggage got lost in the process.

Voch
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 02:15 PM

I'll be sure to hand in my Mac geek ID when I exit this thread...
That's it. Turn in your badge and one-button mouse as you leave.

Voch

buffswin
Aug 4, 2005, 05:20 PM

I got it on Tuesday. Or rather... My workplace got it on Tuesday. However, I was out of town, and couldn't get a flight back to Toronto on Tuesday because of the plane crash. I ended up arriving back yesterday.

I picked up the iBook from work, but was too damn tired to actually pull it out of the box. Yes... if you can believe it, it's still in the shipping box on my living room floor. I'll be sure to hand in my Mac geek ID when I exit this thread...

I'll check it out tonite after I pick up my luggage from the airport. With all the scheduling mayhem, my luggage got lost in the process.

I'll look forward to your assessment of the monitor.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 10:00 PM

iBook G4 1.33 pix

The screen is quite bright. It seems brighter than my TiBook, or in the very least, as bright as the TiBook. More importantly however, it has more accurate colour than the TiBook.

The keyboard is quite nice, and nicer than the TiBook's. I'm not sure if it's equal to the 12" PowerBook's or not though, since I don't have one to test.

Code:
CINEBENCH 2003 v1 **************************************************** Tester : Eug Processor : iBook G4 MHz : 1.33 Number of CPUs : 1 Operating System : 10.4.2 Tiger Graphics Card : Radeon 9550 Resolution : 1024x768 Color Depth : Millions **************************************************** Rendering (Single CPU): 120 CB-CPU Rendering (Multiple CPU): --- CB-CPU Shading (CINEMA 4D) : 141 CB-GFX Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 364 CB-GFX Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 627 CB-GFX OpenGL Speedup: 4.46 ****************************************************
Code:
CINEBENCH 2003 v1 **************************************************** Tester : Eug Processor : TiBook MHz : 1.0 GHz Number of CPUs : 1 Operating System : 10.4.2 Tiger Graphics Card : Radeon 9000 Resolution : 1280x854 Color Depth : Millions **************************************************** Rendering (Single CPU): 93 CB-CPU Rendering (Multiple CPU): --- CB-CPU Shading (CINEMA 4D) : 115 CB-GFX Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 308 CB-GFX Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 401 CB-GFX OpenGL Speedup: 3.50 ****************************************************
Code:
iBook Xbench on "Highest" Results 135.40 System Info Xbench Version 1.1.3 System Version 10.4.2 (8D37) Physical RAM 512 MB Model PowerBook6,7 Processor PowerPC G4 @ 1.33 GHz L1 Cache 32K (instruction), 32K (data) L2 Cache 512K @ 1.33 GHz Bus Frequency 134 MHz Video Card ATY,M12 Drive Type FUJITSU MHV2040AT CPU Test 156.84 GCD Loop 147.79 5.77 Mops/sec Floating Point Basic 159.69 577.48 Mflop/sec AltiVec Basic 159.09 4.62 Gflop/sec vecLib FFT 157.37 2.44 Gflop/sec Floating Point Library 161.04 6.45 Mops/sec Thread Test 113.08 Computation 81.44 1.10 Mops/sec, 4 threads Lock Contention 184.94 2.32 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads Memory Test 113.98 System 123.23 Allocate 600.99 392.03 Kalloc/sec Fill 148.34 1180.75 MB/sec Copy 62.74 313.69 MB/sec Stream 106.03 Copy 105.27 769.49 MB/sec [altivec] Scale 105.40 777.87 MB/sec [altivec] Add 106.76 683.24 MB/sec [altivec] Triad 106.70 651.93 MB/sec [altivec] Quartz Graphics Test 132.02 Line 107.38 2.73 Klines/sec [50% alpha] Rectangle 114.62 8.06 Krects/sec [50% alpha] Circle 127.26 2.93 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha] Bezier 148.75 1.62 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha] Text 190.28 3.10 Kchars/sec OpenGL Graphics Test 120.99 Spinning Squares 120.99 84.67 frames/sec User Interface Test 223.14 Elements 223.14 71.77 refresh/sec
Code:
iBook Xbench on "Automatic" Results 127.04 System Info Xbench Version 1.1.3 System Version 10.4.2 (8D37) Physical RAM 512 MB Model PowerBook6,7 Processor PowerPC G4 @ 1.33 GHz L1 Cache 32K (instruction), 32K (data) L2 Cache 512K @ 1.33 GHz Bus Frequency 134 MHz Video Card ATY,M12 Drive Type FUJITSU MHV2040AT CPU Test 107.55 GCD Loop 122.93 4.80 Mops/sec Floating Point Basic 161.40 583.68 Mflop/sec AltiVec Basic 79.24 2.30 Gflop/sec vecLib FFT 77.45 1.20 Gflop/sec Floating Point Library 150.90 6.04 Mops/sec Thread Test 112.22 Computation 81.00 1.09 Mops/sec, 4 threads Lock Contention 182.60 2.29 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads Memory Test 113.30 System 122.22 Allocate 514.74 335.76 Kalloc/sec Fill 152.65 1215.07 MB/sec Copy 62.29 311.47 MB/sec Stream 105.60 Copy 105.61 772.00 MB/sec [altivec] Scale 104.62 772.11 MB/sec [altivec] Add 105.99 678.36 MB/sec [altivec] Triad 106.20 648.89 MB/sec [altivec] Quartz Graphics Test 140.30 Line 107.31 2.73 Klines/sec [50% alpha] Rectangle 113.16 7.96 Krects/sec [50% alpha] Circle 127.68 2.94 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha] Bezier 147.22 1.60 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha] Text 349.84 5.70 Kchars/sec OpenGL Graphics Test 116.88 Spinning Squares 116.88 81.79 frames/sec User Interface Test 221.67 Elements 221.67 71.30 refresh/sec
Code:
TiBook Xbench Results 117.80 System Info Xbench Version 1.1.3 System Version 10.4.2 (8C46) Physical RAM 768 MB Model PowerBook3,5 Processor PowerPC G4 @ 1.00 GHz Version 7455 (Apollo) v3.2 L1 Cache 32K (instruction), 32K (data) L2 Cache 256K @ 667 MHz L3 Cache 1024K @ 134 MHz Bus Frequency 134 MHz Video Card ATY,RV250M9 Drive Type FUJITSU MHS2060AT CPU Test 122.10 GCD Loop 116.16 4.54 Mops/sec Floating Point Basic 124.53 450.33 Mflop/sec AltiVec Basic 123.28 3.58 Gflop/sec vecLib FFT 122.66 1.90 Gflop/sec Floating Point Library 124.31 4.98 Mops/sec Thread Test 88.10 Computation 63.85 861.92 Kops/sec, 4 threads Lock Contention 142.06 1.78 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads Memory Test 109.72 System 135.36 Allocate 483.61 315.46 Kalloc/sec Fill 225.47 1794.71 MB/sec Copy 63.86 319.28 MB/sec Stream 92.25 Copy 91.62 669.71 MB/sec [altivec] Scale 91.85 677.88 MB/sec [altivec] Add 90.63 580.05 MB/sec [altivec] Triad 95.02 580.59 MB/sec [altivec] Quartz Graphics Test 128.26 Line 97.10 2.47 Klines/sec [50% alpha] Rectangle 102.84 7.23 Krects/sec [50% alpha] Circle 112.89 2.60 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha] Bezier 127.90 1.39 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha] Text 437.80 7.14 Kchars/sec OpenGL Graphics Test 101.34 Spinning Squares 101.34 70.92 frames/sec User Interface Test 216.61 Elements 216.61 69.67 refresh/sec

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2005, 02:59 AM

The keyboard is quite nice, and nicer than the TiBook's. I'm not sure if it's equal to the 12" PowerBook's or not though, since I don't have one to test.
No, the iBooks have a different keyboard than the 12" PowerBook. The PowerBook's keyboard is stiffer. The iBook's keyboard 'wobbles' compared to the PowerBook's when you type.

Voch
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 08:03 AM

iBook G4 1.33 pix

The screen is quite bright. It seems brighter than my TiBook, or in the very least, as bright as the TiBook. More importantly however, it has more accurate colour than the TiBook.

If I may ask...what made you purchase the iBook? Is there something compelling above and beyond your TiBook or do you consider it a side-grade (as opposed to an upgrade)? I'm still cool with my TiBook 667/DVI but have been itching to grab an updated machine before the Intel stuff hits.

Very cool pictures. I may have to drop my by CompUSA this weekend (if they ever get 'em in stock) and convince myself to finally take the plunge.

Voch
( Last edited by Voch; Aug 5, 2005 at 08:20 AM. )

buffswin
Aug 5, 2005, 09:28 AM

Wanker,

Thank you very much for the pictures.

I have been debating the purchase of a 12 inch iBook ever since Apple released the upgrades last week. The monitor has been one of the key issues for me for that purchase.

Looks like a nice little machine.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
No, the iBooks have a different keyboard than the 12" PowerBook. The PowerBook's keyboard is stiffer. The iBook's keyboard 'wobbles' compared to the PowerBook's when you type.
Yup. I tested the PowerBook 12" today and it is indeed slightly stiffer. My iBook 1.33 seems slightly better than the 12" iBook 1.07 in the store, but it may just be normal variation. However, both are significantly stiffer than my TiBook's keyboard.

Originally Posted by Voch
If I may ask...what made you purchase the iBook? Is there something compelling above and beyond your TiBook or do you consider it a side-grade (as opposed to an upgrade)? I'm still cool with my TiBook 667/DVI but have been itching to grab an updated machine before the Intel stuff hits.
1) Size. I don't like carrying around the 15" laptop so much. Then again, it's gonna take some time to get used to the much smaller screen rez again.
2) I just bought an iMac G5. I do all my main work on that machine, so the TiBook is less needed.
3) My TiBook's warranty runs out soon. I'll get a 12"-13" PowerBook when it goes Intel, and sell the iBook then. Hopefully the iBook's warranty will last until then.
4) 802.11g and USB 2. Transfer rates of 802.11b and USB 1.1 were an irritant for me.
5) Integrated Bluetooth

The Radeon 9550 is a nice bonus, but it was not a major reason for me to buy.

However, overall the iBook's enclosure seems a bit cheap in places. The enclosure of the original iceBook seemed better, and my TiBook overall feels better built. The AluBooks also feel sturdier than the current iBook.

Voch
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 10:47 AM

1) Size. I don't like carrying around the 15" laptop so much. Then again, it's gonna take some time to get used to the much smaller screen rez again.

(snip)

3) My TiBook's warranty runs out soon. I'll get a 12"-13" PowerBook when it goes Intel, and sell the iBook then. Hopefully the iBook's warranty will last until then.
4) 802.11g and USB 2. Transfer rates of 802.11b and USB 1.1 were an irritant for me.
These are close my current justifications. I really don't take my TiBook anywhere anymore (I actually need it at work right now and don't have it with me ). My warranty is up in February. To get the full 6Mb of my cable modem with my TiBook I have to use Ethernet instead of wireless (I know 802.11b is rated at 11Mb, but with WPA-PSK turned on it's slowed down a bit).

The Radeon 9550 is a nice bonus, but it was not a major reason for me to buy.
I'd be coming from a Radeon 7500 so it'd likely be a big boost for me.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2005, 11:45 AM

P.S. The Airport reception is better on my iBook than my TiBook. Both are fine in my place, but my iBook picks up distant networks more consistently.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2005, 12:25 PM

keyboard on my 7-weeek-old 1.2ghz iBook has already un-'stiffened'.... when i got it the thing was so freakin' incredible-feeling.... for a keyboard that is ;-D

anyway now it's not as 'stiff'... but still fabulous.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2005, 07:06 PM

The more I use it the more it seems the TiBook's screen was slightly brighter, or at least more contrasty. Anyways, the brightness of the iBook's screen is in the same ballpark. However, The iBook has more accurate colour.

My iBook keyboard remains pretty stiff. I hope it doesn't loosen with time, but so far I'm quite happy with the iBook's keyboard.

512 MB does make for a nice intro to Tiger. 256 MB would be very irritating. 512 was in fact fine for most basic usage, but once I started loading up on widgets, Photoshop and Office etc, 512 really started to drag. Page outs galore. I got my new 512 MB today. Very nice.

As expected, the iBook runs just fine with PC3200 memory.

I only need PC2100, but I figure the new Intel PowerBooks will likely use DDR400 PC3200 (and not DDR2), so I'll just move the memory over when I get that new 13" widescreen 4.5 lb PowerBook x86 next year.

EDIT:

Hmmm.... It seems that DDR2-533 is quite common these days in PC laptops, and the memory is only a few % more expensive than DDR1-400. So, it may be that Apple will jump straight to DDR2-533 next year. It'd be nice to see DDR2-667 though, since DDR2-533 isn't really faster than DDR1-400 overall.

Oh well, DDR1 PC3200 was only 3 bux more than PC2700, and only 5 bux more than PC2100.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Aug 6, 2005 at 01:30 AM. )

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2005, 03:32 AM

I only need PC2100,
and only 5 bux more than PC2100.
Just for the record, Apple' iBook requirements say you need at least PC2700 333MHz DDR SO-DIMMS to run the new iBook. PC2100 is no longer an option.
However I have no idea why, since the bus speed is 133MHz, you'd think PC2100 would be good enough...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2005, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Just for the record, Apple' iBook requirements say you need at least PC2700 333MHz DDR SO-DIMMS to run the new iBook. PC2100 is no longer an option.
However I have no idea why, since the bus speed is 133MHz, you'd think PC2100 would be good enough...
I presume it's really just for the 14" iBook, which needs memory to support a 142 MHz bus speed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules