Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New imac or new TV and new mini?

New imac or new TV and new mini?
neilobuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 06:57 PM

Hi,

Sorry for the long first post but I wonder if you guys could help me out! Im trying to work out which would be the better set up for myself. The possibilities are;

A new 24in iMac costing £1349

A new 26in Samsung TFT HD ready TV (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...111610&_LOC=UK) £600
AND a new Mini at £529 totaling £1129

So, the way I see if. For £200 less I get a standalone TV with built in digital reciever, which is bigger than the iMac, and I can connect future HD devices to etc and a very capable core duo Mini which with wireless keyboard and mouse would be fine for everything ill use it for, which is watching movies, photos, internet, chatting etc (not a gamer)

My main concern is will the Minis poor graphics be ok for running 1366 x 768 resolution on the 26in TV? Also, will the picture be as good and sharp as the iMacs, being as it will be connected HDMI to mini DVI? And not like when I remember plugging a computer into a TV via svideo and it was horrible and blury? Could I watch movies full screen on the TV using the mini?

Sorry for all the questions! Im looking for a solution I can wall-mount and does eveything I want in a nice neat package.

Thanks in advance

kapkorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 10:24 PM

Id rather have the tv and the mini but I dont think there is any chance of the TV being as clear as the iMac but I could be wrong.
Windows IT guy by day,
Mac\Linux user by night.

My FIRST Mac ever!
Macbook 2.0Ghz 100GB HDD 2GB RAM

hldan
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 10:50 PM

Well, at this point in time with the way Apple is just going farther and farther into the home market I think the iMac announcement this week wasn't just a last minute idea to make a gigantic screen I think it was to show off that this it the direction Apple is taking off in. The 24" iMac may just be the beginning of the TV of choice for home theater in HD. The iMac is large enough to be the perfect home theater centerpiece while it's thin enough to hang on the wall and besides the powerplug there will be virtually no wires connecting the CPU to the screen. It's the perfect solution for a complete home theater computing solution. Wait until the Sept 12 announcement and most likely it will all come together as to why the 24" was announced a week earlier.
Also when it comes time to sell it you can get plenty more for it than a TV with a slightly larger screen.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by neilobuk
Hi,

Sorry for the long first post but I wonder if you guys could help me out! Im trying to work out which would be the better set up for myself. The possibilities are;

A new 24in iMac costing £1349

A new 26in Samsung TFT HD ready TV (ebuyer.com - Vision � Televisions: LCD/Plasma/CRT � 26" - 30" LCD TV � Product details) £600
AND a new Mini at £529 totaling £1129

So, the way I see if. For £200 less I get a standalone TV with built in digital reciever, which is bigger than the iMac, and I can connect future HD devices to etc and a very capable core duo Mini which with wireless keyboard and mouse would be fine for everything ill use it for, which is watching movies, photos, internet, chatting etc (not a gamer)

My main concern is will the Minis poor graphics be ok for running 1366 x 768 resolution on the 26in TV? Also, will the picture be as good and sharp as the iMacs, being as it will be connected HDMI to mini DVI? And not like when I remember plugging a computer into a TV via svideo and it was horrible and blury? Could I watch movies full screen on the TV using the mini?

Sorry for all the questions! Im looking for a solution I can wall-mount and does eveything I want in a nice neat package.

Thanks in advance
The mini's graphics card is only horrible when doing 3D apps/games. It's more than you'd ever need for anything else. It has no problems whatsoever with a low resolution like 1366x768. 1366x768 is really low resolution for a 26" screen if you intend to use it as a computer monitor. It's good for TV but not for computing use.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Sep 9, 2006, 12:11 PM

i'd buy the imac

i had a similar problem , but went with a 20" dc and haven't regretted it one iota

mac gaming is coming on big time , and the spec of the 24" imac is amazing , that videocard upgrade is stunning

eye tv v 2.2 works excellently with the mac and can easily replace a vcr/tv set up

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2006, 03:57 PM

^^
Second that.

popstand
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2006, 01:33 PM

Probably the iMac. That 1366 x 768 resolution is not so great for computer use, and you can always get an external television tuner from Elgato. However, if you are really completely uninterested in gaming, you could definitely get away with the other setup, and be quite happy.
Ad Hominem attacks are for losers...

Forum Links
Forum Rules