Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can anyone recommend a USB 2.0 PCI card for my PowerMac G4?

Can anyone recommend a USB 2.0 PCI card for my PowerMac G4?
im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 09:55 PM

I need to add a USB 2.0 PCI card to my PowerMac G4 and was wondering what you guys in this forum use and recommend. I want to buy something reliable and problem free.

Also, will I need to install drivers to get it to work, after I install the card?

Thanks,
Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

tr
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 01:29 AM

check out this page on xlr8yourmac.com
Reader Feedback on Firewire and USB card Deep Sleep Support

i needed USB 2.0 on my Sawtooth G4, and picked up an ADS Tech USB Turbo 2.0 PCI card. it works, but i get wake from sleep errors. kind of annoying, but i've just been shutting down instead of sleeping now. it's a work around, but until i find one of the cards that doesn't cause wake from sleep errors, and is cheap (i got the ADS for $16), i'm keeping it.

tr

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 01:35 AM

Since Orangemicro went out of business, my second choice would be Sonnet such as this one Sonnet Technologies Sonnet Allegro 5 port USB PCI Card: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Sep 13, 2006, 02:52 AM

Thanks for the link tr. It seems like all USB 2.0 PCI cards seem to have deep sleep issues on older macs, which is a real shame. My best bet sounds like a Belkin card. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. I use sleep everyday, so this issue really sucks for me.

Athens, it sounds like Sonnet cards aren't realiable, judging by what was said in the article. Thanks anyways.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2006, 02:58 AM

Yeah - after the last system update my G4 will no longer sleep with the USB2 pci card that I painstakingly chose. Needless to say I was frustrated - so I bought a Mac Pro, that seems to have fixed the issue.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by tr
check out this page on xlr8yourmac.com
Reader Feedback on Firewire and USB card Deep Sleep Support
I got a Belkin USB 2.0 5 port PCI Card. User Manual reads 'F5U220ea".

I am waiting for an USB 2.0 device to test it, so far I have only attached a digicam to it, but that is an USB 1.1 device, I didn't install any controllers since its CD disc is aimed to windows flavors.

Box reads as requirements -besides Windows- Mac OS 8.6 and newer, albeit to wok as USB 2.0 Mac OS X would need a third party software. Which I find weird, I don't know if USB 2.0 was ever supported under let's say Mac OS 9…

Well, once I get that USB 2.0 thing I will try it, I don't want to test it with the iPod Video and mess it up.

BTW, I have another PCI USB 2.0 card installed on an older B&W G3, the maker is weird 'trektor' or something like that, but it works fine, albeit its only purpose is to deal with the aforementioned iPod Video.

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2006, 08:39 AM

I have one with a ALi M5273 chipset (bought here in Denmark, so it doesn't make sense to provide a link to the shop), and it works fine.
Try to search for that chipset and see what cards you can find.

Peter

bossep
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by im_noahselby
Thanks for the link tr. It seems like all USB 2.0 PCI cards seem to have deep sleep issues on older macs, which is a real shame. My best bet sounds like a Belkin card. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. I use sleep everyday, so this issue really sucks for me.

Athens, it sounds like Sonnet cards aren't realiable, judging by what was said in the article. Thanks anyways.

Noah
My only issue with the Sonnet PCI USB2 card is when having my Sandisk card reader connected. When that is the case I have deep sleep trouble. I don't know if it is to blame Sonnet är Sandisk?

mkincaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 03:34 PM

I have a Kingwin U2PCI-3 that works fine, including deep sleep. Got it for $14.99 + tax at Fry's. Newegg has it for $12 shipped.
Kingwin USB Products, USB Product, U2PCI-3
The drivers from their website are kind of messed up, and the CD fails to include them at all. The drivers from the VIA site (it's a VIA chipset) are newer and a better bet:
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...0&SubCatID=122

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2006, 09:17 PM

You guys saying your cards work fine.. what G4 models are you using them in?

I've got a 533 DA G4 and mine won't deep sleep with a device attached. I got it from OWC and it has XXXwhatever chipset I was advised to get.

As I understand it, AGP and DA models have problems, moreso.
ice

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2006, 07:13 AM

Sorry for the lack of info, I wasn't able to visit MacNN for a while…

Well, I can put my MDD G4 (single 1,25 with no USB2 ports from factory) to sleep while the USB2 thing -a Kingston USB2 1 GB storage device- is attached to the Belkin USB2 PCI card.

Then I also can wake up the Mac albeit I get an alert about the Kingston USB2 device not being properly unmounted, fact is it remains on the desktop since I didn't unmount it on purpose before the Mac going to sleep to check out if the MDD could go deep sleep with this device attached.

Sorry about that being the only test I can currently get done. At least the transfer speed is good.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Sep 30, 2006, 12:37 PM

I have the $20 ADS Tech card (NEC chipset), and it won't allow my G4 DA to sleep...regardless of if there is anything plugged in or not

citydragon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2006, 05:42 PM

I installed a Masscool 5-Port USB 2.0 card (from Tigerdirect $8.99) in a G4 MDD and it's working pretty good. I can put the computer to sleep and wakes up fine with devices off but plugged in. I loaded the VIA chipset drivers and everything is recognized and runs at top speed.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2006, 04:59 AM

I have a USB 2.0 card installed which gave me a load of sleep trouble. Although it was never mentioned in the notes 10.4.7 and 10.4.8 obviously had changes to the drivers for these cards. 10.4.7 actually made things worse so that the card was no longer recognised after sleep but 10.4.8 has fixed it so I can now sleep the computer and have function when I wake it. Hopefully these fixes apply to a good number of cards so your sleep worries may be over.

bossep
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2006, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
You guys saying your cards work fine.. what G4 models are you using them in?

I've got a 533 DA G4 and mine won't deep sleep with a device attached. I got it from OWC and it has XXXwhatever chipset I was advised to get.

As I understand it, AGP and DA models have problems, moreso.
I have a maxed DA G4 too. I have the same problem when having a device attached to my USB2. It will sleep but not wake up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules