Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Sonnet 2x 1.6GHz compared to Sonnet 2x1.8GHz

Sonnet 2x 1.6GHz compared to Sonnet 2x1.8GHz
bossep
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2006, 05:11 PM

Anyone here installed the new Sonnet dual 1.6GHz? I was in for the dual 1.8GHz before but the new 1.6GHz is much cheaper and how much difference can 0.2GHz make?

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 03:28 PM

I am willing to bet the difference will not be huge. In many applications, memory badwidth is a greater concern, and each successive increase in clock speed does not scale precisely with performance. I'd save my cash. It would be helpful to know what kind of machine you are installing it into.

bossep  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
I am willing to bet the difference will not be huge. In many applications, memory badwidth is a greater concern, and each successive increase in clock speed does not scale precisely with performance. I'd save my cash. It would be helpful to know what kind of machine you are installing it into.
IF installing it is a G4 Digital Audio. 1.5GB RAM, ATI 9800Pro, 300GB SATA Seagate, MacOS X 10.4.8

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 10:11 AM

Go with the slower chip. For an MDD, I'd say the faster chip, but otherwise forget it.

winky
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2006, 11:36 PM

Installed the dual 1.8 ghz 3 weeks ago. Upgraded a dual 450. The first few weels were hell. I could not operate the machine unless the side was open. It overheated and locked up. I tried every kind of fan to no avail. Finally I took the CPU out to the shop, used a die grinder to cut a hole in the top metal frame big enough for a 120 mm fan, drilled a series of holes in the plastic top and have never looked back.

mac1896
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2006, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by winky View Post
Installed the dual 1.8 ghz 3 weeks ago. Upgraded a dual 450. The first few weels were hell. I could not operate the machine unless the side was open. It overheated and locked up. I tried every kind of fan to no avail. Finally I took the CPU out to the shop, used a die grinder to cut a hole in the top metal frame big enough for a 120 mm fan, drilled a series of holes in the plastic top and have never looked back.
I've had my dual 1.8s in my DA for about 8 or 9 months now. Love the performance, but also have the "closed side overheating" issue.

I bought a couple of 80 watt 12v peltiers that I'm gonna mess with to see if I can't keep it running at 2 GHz (O.C'ed) without cruncher-lockup.

I'll let y'all know how it works out......

Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

bossep  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2006, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by mac1896 View Post
I've had my dual 1.8s in my DA for about 8 or 9 months now. Love the performance, but also have the "closed side overheating" issue.

I bought a couple of 80 watt 12v peltiers that I'm gonna mess with to see if I can't keep it running at 2 GHz (O.C'ed) without cruncher-lockup.

I'll let y'all know how it works out......

Hmm. Strange that it overheats. I have never heard about that problem before. The cpu has no L3 cache and should run cooler. Maybe a good idea to go for the 2z1.6GHz?

bossep  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2006, 05:56 AM

How many fans has the Sonnet duet? I have seen pictures with one and with two. I have replaced my fan on my 1.2GHz with a Papst.

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2006, 01:00 AM

"Installed the dual 1.8 ghz 3 weeks ago. Upgraded a dual 450. The first few weels were hell. I could not operate the machine unless the side was open. It overheated and locked up. I tried every kind of fan to no avail. Finally I took the CPU out to the shop, used a die grinder to cut a hole in the top metal frame big enough for a 120 mm fan, drilled a series of holes in the plastic top and have never looked back. "

I had to do the same exact thing with my Sonnet 7457 1.4 upgrade, which runs hotter than the 7447. Unless you have one of the 1.42 MDD cases, more than likely you're going to overheat with any processor over 1ghz.

bossep  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Zubir View Post
"Installed the dual 1.8 ghz 3 weeks ago. Upgraded a dual 450. The first few weels were hell. I could not operate the machine unless the side was open. It overheated and locked up. I tried every kind of fan to no avail. Finally I took the CPU out to the shop, used a die grinder to cut a hole in the top metal frame big enough for a 120 mm fan, drilled a series of holes in the plastic top and have never looked back. "

I had to do the same exact thing with my Sonnet 7457 1.4 upgrade, which runs hotter than the 7447. Unless you have one of the 1.42 MDD cases, more than likely you're going to overheat with any processor over 1ghz.
I have no problem with my 1.2GHz. What difference makes a MDD case? The 2x1.6GHz should run cooler than the 1.2GHz due to the lack of L3-cache or am I wrong?

DrBoar
Senior User
Jan 15, 2007, 05:13 PM

My G4 1.2 does get quite hot in a sawtooth case. The sawtooth and the DA case are bad at coping with heat. Modern towers have air in at the fron and out the back a clear backward air motion throughout the case in a orderly way. The old towers dating back to the G3 at least. have the inlet on the bottom side and then air is whirled around. Quite sufficent for one hard disk and a fan less ATI card and a 300 MHz G3 like the B&W. Adding some HDs increase the heat adding faster CPU and GPU increase the heat even more. Having fans blowing this and that way may just increase the turbulence in such a way that the end result is a slower air flow through the case

Before drilling hole in the case try some less drastic measures.
1. Remove the loudspeaker from the hole in the front thus creatina a small air inlet.
2. Install a PCI slot fan it will blow out air and also by lowering the pressure in the case pull in cold air through the loudspeaker hole, this will pass by the CPU on its way out.

At work we bought case with a small PSU with weak 60mm fan and a Pentium 4 with a powerfull 120mm fan blowing from the CPU heatsink to the lid (with no openings). More demanding CPU loads would make the CPU fan rev up to max speed. This in turn would block the PSU fan from evacuating the heat from the case so even with no CPU load the would sound like a hair dryer until the computer was turned of and cooled down.

A big CPU fan will get the heat of the CPU initially but for it to work you have to have good airflow through the case to get the heat out

bossep  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2007, 05:18 PM

The MDD case is better suited for the ventilation?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2007, 06:02 PM

Get the cheaper one. Dual 1.6 should be fine.

P.S. I have the single 1.7 in my Cube. Works fine.

However, a cheap iMac C2D is faster than all of the above.

Forum Links
Forum Rules