Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ratatouille

Ratatouille (Page 2)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2007, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
"Only" 95% now... after 119 reviews.

I agree. Ratatouille is a great movie. WAY WAY better than Cars. I liked it better than Finding Nemo too.

P.S. I saw a preview for Disney's Underdog before the movie. That's got to be stupidest movie ever. Well, stupidest trailer anyway. WTF is wrong with Disney anyway?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2007, 12:01 AM

Saw it tonight. Loved it. Right up there amongst Pixar's best.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2007, 12:03 AM

the reviews for this one are Amazingly good(NewYork times,slate, ect)

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2007, 11:56 AM

I saw it last night. My wife and I both loved it. Stunning visuals and great story, as always.

Jobs came out with two big products yesterday - maybe this one was the better? It certainly is if you can't get an iphone.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2007, 12:30 PM

I loved how Remy (the rat) was unable to actually talk to humans. Very refreshing in a movie like this.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2007, 12:41 PM

Aside from the thought of eating a meal prepared entirely by rats, it was a wonderful movie. The animation was some of Pixar's finest. The characters were wonderfully voiced. The food critic (Peter O'Toole) was outstanding. The scenes of Paris were all beautifully rendered. This is definitely a movie for children and adults. There were scenes that had the whole audience laughing. The applause at the end of the show rivaled any Pixar movie I've attended.

Oh. And the kids loved it too.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2007, 05:02 PM

I found myself wondering if it was really a kid's movie. Honestly, at some points it seemed a bit too smart? Or maybe I'm dumb. I don't know I didn't think of it as a kid's movie, I thought it was great. Watched it with my friend Colin and we had a grand old time. We both laughed at the part where Linguini nearly tells what's her face that he's controlled by a rat. We were like, wow it's like coming out! And then he kisses her and I was like... wish my coming out experiences went so well, "Pierre... you horribly sexy french man... I'm... I'm..." KISS! Mhmm... sigh, he instead just asked "So like... a hot girl does NOTHING?" Sigh...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2007, 05:25 PM

Pixar has a knack of making movies that are equally as entertaining to a six-year-old as to a sixty-year-old.

That's their magic.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2007, 07:37 PM

I haven't seen a Pixar movie yet that I didn't like. They're just really entertaining, light comedy...and they usually manage to throw in some jokes or humor that the parents will get more than the kids. The fruity cowgirl song in Toy Story 2 was a little annoying, but seriously. They've all been good. The Incredibles and Monsters, Inc. are my two favorites so far.

Plus, they're great for showing off how good HD looks compared to standard interlaced video.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2007, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Plus, they're great for showing off how good HD looks compared to standard interlaced video.
How? None of the Pixar movies have been released on HD discs yet. Have they been playing on HD TV channels?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2007, 09:26 PM

I'd like to know too. I couldn't find any Pixar movies in HD in DirecTV schedule.

I'm so dying for Pixar in HD, especially Toy Story 1 & 2.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2007, 09:36 PM

I guess I should have said ED or upconverted ED. I've noticed that Monsters, Inc. looks a lot better at 480p or 780p/1080i upconverted than 480i. It's more noticeable than with live action films, IMO.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2007, 11:47 PM

This was the second movie I've seen with new digital projectors at our theater and it was simply amazing. Great movie to show off the new stuff...
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2007, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I guess I should have said ED or upconverted ED. I've noticed that Monsters, Inc. looks a lot better at 480p or 780p/1080i upconverted than 480i. It's more noticeable than with live action films, IMO.
Well, yeah, but not surprisingly native HD looks noticeably better than upconverted ED.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2007, 04:21 AM

I agree, great film. Toy Story, The Incredibles and Ratatouille are my top three.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn View Post
Great trailer, horrifically bad title.
I wrote the above a year ago. An update:
Great movie, wonderfully appropriate title.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2007, 12:16 PM

i loved this movie..

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2007, 12:18 PM

Yeah, after seeing the movie, I think the name is OK, because there is actually justification for it (other than having "rat" in it).

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2007, 12:20 PM

I saw it and enjoyed it... and I generally loathe movie theaters.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2007, 05:01 PM

There is a scene towards the end of Ratatoulli that is perhaps the most sublimely perfect of any movie I have seen in a long time. It is funny, poignant and cathartic all at once.

You who have seen the movie know what I'm talking about...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2007, 06:17 PM

There is a scene towards the end of Ratatoulli that is perhaps the most sublimely perfect of any movie I have seen in a long time. It is funny, poignant and cathartic all at once.

If you mean the one with this guy, I agree completely.
( Last edited by Eug; Jul 1, 2007 at 06:23 PM. )

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2007, 03:29 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing this. I saw Nemo in the cinema, haven't seen Cars. Pixar films are great, they just have a way of doing things with subjects you wouldn't think were right for a kids/family film. On the face of it Finding Nemo is a movie about a disabled kid who's mother, brothers and sisters get killed, then he gets kidnapped from school and his over protective father risks his own life trying to get him back.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Oversoul
Senior User
Jul 2, 2007, 03:49 PM

My girlfriend and I saw this movie last night and it was delightful. She probably loved the movie more than me because its message that anyone can cook really resonated with her.

Peter O'Toole was terrific as Ego, and the scene towards the end involving his character had everyone in the theater in stitches. The denouement and Ego's review was poignant as well.

I'm a bit disappointed that Ratatouille didn't do better at the box office. $47M is not shabby by any means, but it seems that nowadays if a movie doesn't open to $100M in its opening weekend then its a flop.

Interesting tidbit I read in the San Francisco Chronicle last week: Pixar channeled the Bay Area's chefs in animating the movie. They took culinary courses and consulted with notable chefs such as Thomas Keller of French Laundry. In fact, Pixar asked Keller how he would prepare ratatouille if he were serving the world's most famous food critic, and Keller eventually designed the show stopper that appeared on screen.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
why do they have to say "Paris France", its so unnatural, I'm sure most americans know where Paris is.
Yeah, but the other 41% probably think it's in Iraq someplace.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

mindwaves
Jul 2, 2007, 04:07 PM

I watched it and came away unimpressed IMO with the storyline. That is just me though. My girlfriend liked it a lot.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2007, 07:47 PM

YES, that scene was amazing. So well done! It made me tear up a bit.

-Owl

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I found myself wondering if it was really a kid's movie. Honestly, at some points it seemed a bit too smart?
No, this movie was definitely smart. At one point (when they first introduced the romantic sub-plot), I was wondering if they bit off more than they could chew. But no, in the end, Bird managed to tie it all back together again. It works beautifully.

Although, I don't like how simple the misunderstanding that Ego had with whatever the big chef's name was. "Anyone can cook." The real meaning behind that phrase wasn't that profound that it should embitter a food critic for decades to the point where it affected a restaurant's bussiness.

I saw it, I am not exactly sure which one you are talking about. PM, I'm curious.

Also, did anyone else catch a computer graphic error in the film? There is one scene in which they forgot to color in the "little chef's" tail: it's completely transparent!!!

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2007, 12:12 PM

The Pixar short film, Lifted is on the iTunes Store now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules