Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Has anyone successfully touched up their Powerbook paint chips?

Has anyone successfully touched up their Powerbook paint chips?
Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2002, 07:40 PM

I've found lots of complaining and arguing about the fact that it is so easy to scratch your Powerbook. I wanted to ask if anyone has actually successfully touched up with Powerbook paint chips/markings? People say that TiPaint doesn't work, so I don't want to waste my money with that. What about picking up paint at a hobby shop, has that worked for anyone?

I'm talking about both the silver and white paint on the Powerbook.

Thanks all...
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

dufffader
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2002, 05:51 AM

I don't know if this helps. I got pissed of looking at the exposed carbon on my 1 year old 550MHz so I bought some model paints and started mixing them. The effects are not really that good, you can't tell the diff a few feet away but once you're looking it up close you can tell its been touched up. I can get the color rather close, but not the glossiness... the first paint I tried was too glossy it looked a little like an ibook. the second patch I worked on was much too matte...

When I get it right I'll let you know. I've ran out of places to paint on for the time being...

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2002, 10:56 AM

It's amazing how there is no solution to this problem, even though there are many threads in this and other forums talking about the problem.

Thanks for keeping me up to speed with your progress--good luck!
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

euphras
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2002, 11:45 AM

I had one paint issue (caused by a rude attempt to plug in an USB device). I mixed matte white and metallic silver paint to get the shiny appearence of the original paint and it worked quite well for me.
hope that helps...

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2002, 12:06 PM

I actually used the TiPaint, and while their delivery is ****, they did actually match the color quite well. Sadly the paint is globby and hard to apply properly, but I did manage to do some significant touching up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules