Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Silk

Silk
fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2004, 04:09 AM

for all weird problems, questions, tips, etc, please post in this thread.

i have one: is there a reason why some fonts are "higher" or "lower" than others? like, for some fonts, they're in the upper 1/3 of the menu bars and push buttons, etc, and some other fonts are in the lower 1/3 of the menu bars and push buttons. is this silk's fault, or the font's fault (id be suprised if it is the font's fault)?

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 04:18 AM

It's the fonts fault. ascenders and descenders sometimes differ in the font which skews it's perspective. You don't notice on a blank page, but you notice when it's supposed to be positioned properly. That said, font's tend to be a bitch to get 100% right, and any older fonts might have been converted badly to the new format.

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2004, 05:10 PM

It is actually cocoa's fault since it doesn't pay attention to the ascent/descent/baseline of fonts. It is a bad, hardcoded, naughty API.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 05:36 PM

I used to get the same/similar problems in 0S 9, it normally ended up with me fixing the font :/

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 06:00 PM

I wouldn't have any problems with fixing a font and using Silk if it worked the way I wanted it to.

If I replace Lucida Grande as a system font, I do not want the font I replace it with to be used in webpages when no font is specified (rather than the font I've changed it to in the Safari preferences).

Not to mention the problem with some fonts where some text turns into gibberish.

fireside  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2004, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by cube3:
I used to get the same/similar problems in 0S 9, it normally ended up with me fixing the font :/
how do you fix the font?

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 07:58 PM

I wouldn't have any problems with fixing a font and using Silk if it worked the way I wanted it to.

If I replace Lucida Grande as a system font, I do not want the font I replace it with to be used in webpages when no font is specified (rather than the font I've changed it to in the Safari preferences).

Not to mention the problem with some fonts where some text turns into gibberish.
If you turn off Safari in the enhanced applications tab of the silk prefs you get no gibberish bookmarks bar and the webpage font stays defaulted to lucidia grande. I use silk all the time for everything BUT Safari.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 08:16 PM

Doesn't that mean the menubar text when Safari is active is Lucida Grande?

Forum Links
Forum Rules