Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Settings for tethering a Macintosh to a Cingular EDGE phone via Bluetooth

Settings for tethering a Macintosh to a Cingular EDGE phone via Bluetooth (Page 3)
f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2005, 06:32 AM

Riot Nrrrd,

Please see my above post concerning Ross Barkman's SE script.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2005, 06:33 AM

tangus999,

Please see my above post concerning Ross Barkman's SE script.

olmediaport
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by crozlo
Hey f1000,

First off, increadibly helpful stuff. I've ready the whole thread rather carefully, and I must admit i'm familiar w/ everything short of the tweak testing and terminal / startup script based throughput optimization.

I am running:
s710a
powerbook 15" al G4 1.5 768RAM
mac os 10.4.2
medianet unlimited
*manually (via terminal) updated network settings as per your posts: (sudo sysctl -w)

et.inet.tcp.sendspace=262144
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=262144
net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize=108040
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=2097152
net.inet.tcp.newreno=1

NOTE: This was after i ran broadband optimizer and SEEMED to notice a speed increase on my broadband connections right away. I reported the fastest connections in my area via BroadbandReports.Com. I'll go back and check w/out the optimizer startup script after a restart and see what I get, but right now my BROADBAND is operating nearly at the max of my possible, so that's good.

I have used a Motorola v600 tethered to my PB 15" 1.5 ghz 768RAM w/ Cingular MediaNet now for over a year and it has proven indespensible. I recently upgraded my phone to an s710a, and have been in the process of reconfiguring for EDGE capability.

I have been able to connect successfully w/ the Sony Ericsson 3G CID1 & 2 scripts, but am only achieving down: 30ish kbps / up: 9 kbps. I am in Santa Barbara, CA (full bars at current location) and have been Speed Testing at BroadbandReports.Com off of the line link server based in Los Angeles @ 2am.

dn: 33k / up: 9k report is AFTER using the terminal "sudo sysctl -w" command to update all of the above stated network parameters. these speed reports are the same as when my network settings were "un-optimized".

1. Can you advise as to what might be the hangup. I'm fairly sure its not cell related as we have very current services in this area, and I have every reason to believe local towers support EDGE. By the looks of it, I'm only getting GPRS speeds.

2. Can you advise more clearly where this /etc directory is and (sorry i'm such a layman) explain just what i need to do to create a startup script to optimize net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize RWIN value? As stated earlier in the thread, RMAC is not compatible w/ tiger, and BroadBand Optimizer does not adjust the slowlink value.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!
I'm not having any luck with edge either. I've tried it on one bar and 5 bar signal strenths, and nothing. Did the tweaks, still slower than what I'm getting with Sprint. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to return the S710 and cancel service, since this was the only reason I was going to switch.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by olmediaport
I'm not having any luck with edge either. I've tried it on one bar and 5 bar signal strenths, and nothing. Did the tweaks, still slower than what I'm getting with Sprint. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to return the S710 and cancel service, since this was the only reason I was going to switch.
Did you try editing Ross Barkman's Sony-Ericsson modem scripts per my recent post? There's a flaw in his script that caps Bluetooth serial port transfers at 57600 bps. This flaw explains why only Sony-Ericsson users seem to be getting poor EDGE performance akin to GPRS. Motorolas and Nokias work fine, which isn't surprising since their respective Barkman scripts don't contain the aforementioned error.

crozlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2005, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
Did you try editing Ross Barkman's Sony-Ericsson modem scripts per my recent post? There's a flaw in his script that caps Bluetooth serial port transfers at 57600 bps. This flaw explains why only Sony-Ericsson users seem to be getting poor EDGE performance akin to GPRS. Motorolas and Nokias work fine, which isn't surprising since their respective Barkman scripts don't contain the aforementioned error.
Ok f1000, here goes...

I called Cingular 2nd tier and they were able to verify EDGE service availability in Santa Barbara, CA.

FYI s710 OWNERS:
There is a setting in the s710a under:
connect: data communication: preferred service:

which can be set to
1. EDGE and GSM
-or-
2. GSM only

obviously set it to option 1

Here goes:

Speed Tests: (speak-easy LA)

Un-Tweaked w/ Edited Sony Ericsson 3G CID1 script:

Modem Script Now Reads:

! ---- Modem setup ----
!
! Set serial port speed 460800, all interface signals off
!
serreset 460800, 0, 8, 1
hsreset 0 0 0 0 0 0
settries 0
!
!
@LABEL 2
!
! Check the phone is responding
!
matchclr

etc

Download Speed: 38 kbps (4.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 10 kbps (1.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Tweaked network settings to:

net.inet.tcp.sendspace=262144
net.inet.tcp.newreno=1

SPEED TEST:

Download Speed: 23 kbps (2.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Re-tweaked to:

net.inet.tcp.newreno=1 ---> 0

SPEED TEST:

Download Speed: 37 kbps (4.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

!!!DARN!!!

I restarted (i have broadband optimizer installed) and re-tweaked ONLY:

net.inet.tcp.newreno=1

SPEED TEST:
Download Speed: 34 kbps (4.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

!!ARG!!

Then I switched my phone off and on and tried again. I have full bars plus full data network available icon.

Re-Tested:
Same thing 35/10

bummer:-(

The Dilemma Continues! This MUST be possible

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2005, 09:29 PM

bummer:-(

The Dilemma Continues! This MUST be possible
I'm still suspecting the modem script. Maybe something's wrong with the initialization string. I'll have to take a look at it this weekend.

crozlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2005, 06:05 AM

I'm still suspecting the modem script. Maybe something's wrong with the initialization string. I'll have to take a look at it this weekend.

Sorry this has been such a pain. I really appreciate your help...

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2005, 07:12 AM

Try replacing this line...
write "AT&FE0S0=0\13"
...with this line
write "AT&FV1E0S0=0&D2&C1;+CMEE=1\13"

I doubt that it'll improve your connect speeds, but it's worth a shot. If this doesn't work, I'll post a script this weekend that will allow us to better diagnose what ails your s710a.

crozlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2005, 04:51 PM

Try replacing this line...
write "AT&FE0S0=0\13"
...with this line

I doubt that it'll improve your connect speeds, but it's worth a shot. If this doesn't work, I'll post a script this weekend that will allow us to better diagnose what ails your s710a.

Developement:

Last night I traveled North to Avila Beach, CA. At 3am i connected w/ the doctored modem script and tweaked network settings from your very first post and achieved something in the neighborhood of 83dn/37up off of the SF, CA server.

This morning I added your newest modem script edit (above) and tried again and got:

SF server:
Download Speed: 70 kbps (8.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 41 kbps (5.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

(i noticed the transfer started slow, peaked out at approx. 115, and then fell back to 60/70ish)

LA server:
Download Speed: 66 kbps (8.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 40 kbps (5 KB/sec transfer rate)

(peaked as high as 130, but only for a second or two, then fell to mid 50's)

So i'm certainly beating GPRS speeds now!! Probably at this point I just need to do a tweak test and optimize my settings accordingly? I don't know for sure though. Do you think I'm still not getting full bandwidth?

I'm really not sure what caused the change. I haven't changed anything since my most recent post... perhaps my serial connection is functioning properly now??

Looking forward to the diagnostic script you were going to post. I'm really curious as to what's going on here....

...mystery of the s710a...

crozlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2005, 05:06 PM

...and just now (2pm) from SLO, CA to SF, CA

Download Speed: 93 kbps (11.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 34 kbps (4.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

so i'm in the ballpark, right? how much more speed should i hope for??

rancidbry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 12:32 PM

This forum is a very helpful and informative collection of ideas!!

I am ready to start tweaking and enhance my S710a EDGE phone, however I simply can't connect my mac through bluetooth like a I used.
I was able to connect to AT&T's service with my T616 through bluetooth. Now I've switched to Cingular and subscribed to their unlimited MediaNet. When I try and connect using the S710a, everything goes through, but at the authentication stage it disconnects. I'M GOING CRAZY!http://forums.macnn.com/newreply.php...ply&p=2537694# I've spent days trying to debug this problem. Also, once I've attempted to connect I can no longer access MediaNet directly through the phone because it attempts to dial a roaming number instead. I have to reset the settings in order to access MediaNet directly through the S710a.
These are the Mac settings I'm using:

Login: [email protected]
Password: CINGULAR1
Telephone number: *99***2# ( I have also tried wap.cingular, *99***1#, *99#)
script: Sony Ericsson GPRS CID1

This is the best forum related to my problem I could find. ARE THERE ANY AMAZING SUGGESTIONS THAT COULD HELP ME CONNECT TO THE INTERNET USING MY 15' POWERBOOK AND S710A? I am going on a road trip across the country in a few days and this would be an extremely useful tool. Thanks very much.

~Bryan

I've cobbled together some instructions on tethering a Macintosh to a Cingular Motorola V551 EDGE phone via Bluetooth®.

1. Add MEdia Net Unlimited to your account for $19.99/month (price as of 6/1/05).

2. Download the appropriate 3G modem scripts from http://www.taniwha.org.uk/ and install them into your /Library/Modem Scripts folder. Do not download the GPRS scripts as you will not achieve EDGE speeds with them.

3. On the phone go to: Menu->Settings->Connection->Bluetooth->Setup->Bluetooth: On and Menu->Settings->Connection->Bluetooth->Setup->Find Me. This will allow your Mac to find your phone via Bluetooth.

4. Go up to the Bluetooth menu and pair the phone with your Mac. Pair the phone to use as a modem for GPRS data. On the next screen in the setup assistant enter the following data in:
    Service Provider: Cingular (optional)
    Account Name: [email protected]
    Telephone Number: wap.cingular
  5. Open up Network in System Preferences.
    Click the TCP/IP tab
    DNS Servers:
    Leave empty!
    Select Using PPP in the "Configure IPv4" drop down menu.
    Select Off in the "Configure IPv6" drop down menu.
    Click the PPP tab
    Click PPP Options...
    Ensure that the following boxes are unchecked:
    • Send PPP echo packets.
    • Use TCP header compression.
    • Connect using a terminal window (command line).
    Click the Bluetooth Modem tab:
    Select the appropriate modem script in the "Modem" drop-down menu.
    Uncheck Enable error correction and compression in modem.
    Uncheck Wait for dial tone before dialing.
  6. Add the following startup script using RMAC. Read through the thread for more details.
    #!/bin/sh
    #RMAC Startup Script

SYSCTL="/usr/sbin/sysctl -nw"
    IFCONFIG="/sbin/ifconfig"

. /etc/rc.common

ConsoleMessage "Set Network Param"

$SYSCTL "net.inet.tcp.sendspace=262144"
    $SYSCTL "net.inet.tcp.recvspace=262144"
    $SYSCTL "net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize=108040"
    $SYSCTL "kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=2097152"
    $SYSCTL "net.inet.tcp.newreno=1"

sleep 3

Sources:
http://www.rtgrimesconsulting.com/pa...ge4/page4.html
http://www.howardforums.com
http://forums.cingular.com/cng/board?board.id=EDGE
PowerBook, iBook, PowerMac, iMac, eMac, gsm

toneloco28
Aug 18, 2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by rancidbry

Login: [email
[email protected][/email]

This is the best forum related to my problem I could find. ARE THERE ANY AMAZING SUGGESTIONS THAT COULD HELP ME CONNECT TO THE INTERNET USING MY 15' POWERBOOK AND S710A? I am going on a road trip across the country in a few days and this would be an extremely useful tool. Thanks very much.

~Bryan
Just wanted to chime in here and say that I have succesfully used my previous iBook, and now 15' powerbook with my s710a with edge speeds consistently. My settings are identical to yours except I leave the "telephone number" blank. Also, do you have the Sony "3G" script or just the regular GPRS one? That may be the source of your problem, but i'll be the first to admit, this area is not my specialty, as it's always just worked for me.

From my experiences using the Sony 3G CID1 script , it must dial the access number on it's own so I've never had to use a supplementary number. Depending upon network load I average anywhere between 100-180kbps. Im in the Charlotte, NC area.

rancidbry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 02:02 PM

I am ready to start tweaking and enhance my S710a EDGE phone, however I simply can't connect my mac through bluetooth like a I used.
I was able to connect to AT&T's service with my T616 through bluetooth. Now I've switched to Cingular and subscribed to their unlimited MediaNet. When I try and connect using the S710a, everything goes through, but at the authentication stage it disconnects. I'M GOING CRAZY!http://forums.macnn.com/newreply.ph...eply&p=2537694# I've spent days trying to debug this problem. Also, once I've attempted to connect I can no longer access MediaNet directly through the phone because it attempts to dial a roaming number instead. I have to reset the settings in order to access MediaNet directly through the S710a.

~Bryan

Originally Posted by joren
With the RCMAC script removed, Tiger's net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize: 8192 . But here's the confusing part for me: with the script running with the identical settings as are in #6 of your first post, when I run the tweak tester test, it says my tweakable settings (in the top left green box) Receive Window (RWIN) is 263536 . Now that is not very close to the slowlink_wsize setting, but it is very close to your recvspace setting. Could it be that the RWIN is not slowlink_wsize? I really don't know what I'm talking about, but it seemed a bit odd.

I am definitely not a "terminal" kind of guy (I'm willing to learn), but to modify and move around the RMAC script in the GUI, you have to give yourself permissions for both /library/statupitems/ and /library/statupitems/RMAC . Then, you have to restart once, where the OS will freak out that the permission were changed, tell the OS to fix the permissions, and restart again. It's a little bit of a pain.

In my excitement, I realize I didn't relay all the important information in my last post. apologies. I promise to be more scientific from now on.
I have a Powerbook G4 with OS 10.4.1
moto v551 connected over bluetooth with full bars of service and cingular service
All the TCP/IP and PPP settings are per your first post.
The speed tests were done in Los Angeles, to the Los Angeles broadbandreports.com speed test server. and they were reported in kilobits per second.

So, how should I go about tweaking? I used the RWIN calculator (and did my own calculations based on the broadband reports FAQ) and found my optimal RWIN to be 37960. But I'm not really sure what I should be putting as my optimal speed setting. Why is your RWIN much larger?

Also, what kind of speeds should I expect to be getting? Am I doing okay at around 80kbbs down and 30 kbbs up? I was hoping (or dreaming) for double that.

Well, this has been super informative and I sure have learned a lot in the last two days. One lesson I learned the hard way was to sign up for MediaNet Unlimited right away. After just doing my tests yesterday, I already charged 40 bucks in transfer. Ouch.

joren
So, after I put the script back in /library/StartupItems/ and rebooted, I entered "sysctl -a" in Terminal and I got the exact same reading for net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize: 8192 . So now I'm at a loss. The script must not be working. Could you suggest another way (or point me to the correct instruction) on how to change these values. I really know nothing about terminal and Unix, but I follow instructions really well.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 06:04 PM

Works for me. (Hopefully it's a Mac issue.) Make sure the Bluetooth port is dragged up in order under System Prefs --> Network --> Show: --> Network Port Config.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=91669

crozlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 04:57 AM

Bryan,

You're network settings are incorrect. Use these:

Do not enter *99 or any other such combination in "telephone number". Just 'wap.cingular'.

Try that first.

crozlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 05:02 AM

~Bryan

Sorry. Your modem script is also incorrect. You're using a GPRS script. You need a 3G script from here:
http://www.taniwha.org.uk/files/Son...n3G-2005-01.sit

sometimes that link downloaded empty folders for me. Try again at another time if that happens to you. I think his server is a little inconsistent from time to time. Then you'll need to read through the thread to find the edits "f1000" has posted to amend the script. It seems it closes down your bluetooth serial speeds on accident, and you need to change some code in the script to stop that from happening. Read through the thread and you'll see what to do. If the telephone number and script changes don't fix your problem, post again and we'll see what we can do.

rancidbry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 11:13 AM

I've tried that and everything else. It connects, but right when it trys to authenticate, it disconnects. Very very frustrating. I've been working on it for days... running out of possibilities. Any suggestion helps.
~Bryan

Bryan,

You're network settings are incorrect. Use these:

Do not enter *99 or any other such combination in "telephone number". Just 'wap.cingular'.

Try that first.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2005, 02:17 PM

I saw the exact same thing with my Treo, but, using those settings, I changed the phone number back and forth, and I read you should move the port config up in order (shouldn't matter). Also, you have to turn on 'Dial-up Networking'. Don't know if there is that option for the Sony Ericsson. Oh yes, I turned off Airport to be certain. Connected right now.

2005-08-19 14:14:55 EST: 87 / 35
Your download speed : 89455 bps, or 87 kbps.
A 10.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 36761 bps, or 35 kbps.

Not bad today; I've seen better.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2005, 11:08 PM

Developement:

Last night I traveled North to Avila Beach, CA. At 3am i connected w/ the doctored modem script and tweaked network settings from your very first post and achieved something in the neighborhood of 83dn/37up off of the SF, CA server.
How many days has it been since you first started trying to get EDGE speeds using your s710a before you got this result? I'm trying to figure out whether this improvement was due to my script changes or to network repairs.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2005, 11:33 PM

Crozio, rancidbry, et al.:
  1. Make a duplicate of the "Sony Ericsson 3G CID1" modem script and replace its contents with that from the script below. Replace the original script with this new modem script in your Modem Scripts folder.
  2. Run Console from your Applications/Utilities folder and click on the "Logs" button in the Toolbar. Click on /var/log -> ppp -> ppp.log, and then click on the "Clear" button in the Toolbar.
  3. Initiate a connection using your s710a EDGE phone and run a Speakeasy test from the server that is closest to you. Write down the results.
  4. End the connection. Post the results of your Speakeasy speed test followed by your log from the Console here.

Modified Sony Ericsson 3G CID1 Script

! Sony Ericsson 3G
!
! Author: Ross Barkman
!
! History:
! 18 Sep 01 First release
! 20 Nov 01 Change response parsing
! 07 Mar 02 Switch to Context ID 2
! 15 Mar 02 Fix init string error
! 21 Mar 02 Re-create Context ID 1 version (some networks reject CID2)
! 24 Dec 02 Change dialstring from *99# to *99***1#
! 04 Jan 04 Add APN check, retry initial AT, serial speed setting
! 09 May 04 Increase serial speed for EDGE/UMTS
!
! 'mlts' resource info:
! byte 1 == 01 -> modem HAS built-in error correction protocols
! byte 2 == 01 -> modem HAS built-in data compression protocols
! byte 3 == 200 -> max number of chars in varstr 7
! byte 4 == 200 -> max number of chars in varstr 8
! byte 5 == 200 -> max number of chars in varstr 9
!
@ORIGINATE
@ANSWER
!
note "Sony Ericsson 3G CID1" 1
!
! Check APN
!
! Common mistake: using *99 instead of APN
!
ifstr 1 110 "*99#"
ifstr 1 110 "*99***1#"
ifstr 1 110 "*99***2#"
ifstr 1 110 "*99***3#"
ifstr 1 110 "*99***4#"
ifstr 1 110 "*99***5#"
ifstr 1 110 "*99***6#"
ifstr 1 110 "*99***10#"
!
! ---- Modem setup ----
!
!
serreset 460800, 0, 8, 1
hsreset 0 0 0 0 0 0
settries 0
!
!
@LABEL 2
note "Checking if the phone is responding" 3
!
! Check the phone is responding
!
matchclr
matchstr 1 3 "OK\13\10"
write "AT\13"
matchread 30
inctries
iftries 3 101
jsr 9
jump 2
!
!
@LABEL 3
note "Checking if the phone is a Sony Ericsson" 3
!
! Check the phone is a (Sony) Ericsson
!
matchclr
matchstr 1 4 "Ericsson"
matchstr 2 4 "ERICSSON"
matchstr 3 4 "Sony Ericsson"
matchstr 4 4 "SONY ERICSSON"
write "AT+CGMI\13"
matchread 60
jump 109
!
!
@LABEL 4
note "Configuring the phone" 3
!
! Configure the phone
!
matchclr
matchstr 1 5 "OK\13\10"
matchstr 2 101 "ERROR\13\10"
! write "AT&FE0S0=0\13" (* Original init string *)
matchread 30
inctries
iftries 3 101
jsr 9
jump 4
!
!
@LABEL 5
settries 0
!
!
@LABEL 6
note "Setting additional options" 3
!
! Set additional options
!
matchclr
matchstr 1 10 "OK\13\10"
matchstr 2 108 "ERROR\13\10"
!
! Check Access Point Name stored in dialstring (VarString 1)
! If APN is set to None, ignore it
!
ifstr 1 7 "None"
ifstr 1 7 "none"
ifstr 1 7 "NONE"
!
! Set APN using +CGDCONT=1,"IP","<APN>"
!
write "AT+CGDCONT=1,\34IP\34,\34^1\34\13"
jump 8
!
!
@LABEL 7
note "No APN found" 3
!
! No APN
!
write "AT\13"
!
!
@LABEL 8
matchread 60
inctries
iftries 3 101
jump 6
!
!
@LABEL 9
note "Attempting to reset the phone" 3
!
! Attempt to reset the phone
!
DTRClear
pause 5
DTRSet
flush
return
!
!
@LABEL 10
note "Setup completed" 3
!
! Setup complete
!
ifANSWER 32
!
!
! ---- Place a call ----
!
@LABEL 20
!
!
flush
note "Making network connection" 3
write "ATD*99***1#\13"
!
!
! ---- Connect response ----
!
! Parses successful connect responses in the following format:
! CARRIER
! PROTOCOL: ppp
! COMPRESSION: ccc
! CONNECT zzzzz
!
@LABEL 32
matchclr
matchstr 1 81 "RING\13\10"
matchstr 2 102 "NO DIALTONE\13\10"
matchstr 3 103 "NO CARRIER"
matchstr 4 103 "ERROR\13\10"
matchstr 5 104 "BUSY\13\10"
matchstr 6 105 "NO ANSWER\13\10"
matchstr 7 33 "CARRIER"
matchstr 8 34 "CONNECT"
matchstr 9 61 "PROTOCOL"
matchstr 10 66 "COMPRESSION"
matchread 700
ifANSWER 32
jump 105
!
! CARRIER parsing
!
@LABEL 33
note "CARRIER parsing" 3
!
jump 32
!
! CONNECT parsing
!
@LABEL 34
note "CONNECT parsing" 3
!
! 2400 and 4800 have three entries each
! to distinguish them from 24000 and 48000
!
matchclr
matchstr 1 40 "2400\13"
matchstr 2 40 "2400/"
matchstr 3 40 "2400 "
matchstr 4 41 "4800\13"
matchstr 5 41 "4800/"
matchstr 6 41 "4800 "
matchstr 7 42 "7200"
matchstr 8 43 "9600"
matchstr 9 44 "12000"
matchstr 10 45 "14400"
matchstr 11 46 "19200"
matchstr 12 51 "28800"
matchstr 13 52 "38400"
matchstr 14 53 "57600"
matchstr 15 54 "64000"
matchstr 15 55 "115200"
matchstr 16 55 "115,200"
matchstr 17 56 "230400"
matchstr 17 57 "460800"
matchread 10
jump 59
!
! -- Connection rates --
!
! CommunicatingAt informs ARA of the link speed
!
@LABEL 40
note "Communicating at 2400 bps." 3
CommunicatingAt 2400
jump 60
!
@LABEL 41
note "Communicating at 4800 bps." 3
CommunicatingAt 4800
jump 60
!
@LABEL 42
note "Communicating at 7200 bps." 3
CommunicatingAt 7200
jump 60
!
@LABEL 43
note "Communicating at 9600 bps." 3
CommunicatingAt 9600
jump 60
!
@LABEL 44
note "Communicating at 12400 bps." 3
CommunicatingAt 12400
jump 60
!
@LABEL 45
note "Communicating at 14400 bps." 3
CommunicatingAt 14400
jump 60
!
@LABEL 46
note "Communicating at 19200 bps." 3
CommunicatingAt 19200
jump 60
!
@LABEL 51
note "Communicating at 28800 bps." 3
CommunicatingAt 28800
jump 60
!
@LABEL 52
note "Communicating at 38400 bps." 3
CommunicatingAt 38400
jump 60
!
@LABEL 53
note "Communicating at 57600 bps." 3
CommunicatingAt 57600
jump 60
!
@LABEL 54
note "Communicating at 64000 bps." 3
CommunicatingAt 64000
jump 60
!
@LABEL 55
note "Communicating at 115200 bps." 3
CommunicatingAt 115200
jump 60
!
@LABEL 56
note "Communicating at 230400 bps." 3
CommunicatingAt 230400
jump 60
!
@LABEL 57
note "Communicating at 460800 bps." 3
CommunicatingAt 460800
jump 60
!
@LABEL 59
note "Communicating at a variable rate." 3
!
@LABEL 60
!
! Check for protocol and compression reports
! following the CONNECT message.
!
matchclr
matchstr 1 63 "LAPM"
matchstr 2 63 "REL"
matchstr 3 63 "ARQ"
matchstr 4 68 "COMP/"
matchstr 5 68 "COMP\13"
matchstr 6 63 "V42/"
matchstr 7 63 "V42\13"
matchstr 8 68 "V42BIS"
matchstr 9 68 "V42bis"
matchstr 10 63 "MNP\13"
matchstr 11 68 "MNP5"
matchstr 12 70 "\10"
matchread 30
jump 70
!
! -- PROTOCOL parsing --
!
! Userhook 2 informs ARA that a modem-to-modem error
! correcting protocol has been negotiated
!
@LABEL 61
matchclr
matchstr 1 32 "NONE"
matchstr 2 62 "LAP"
matchstr 3 62 "MNP"
matchstr 4 62 "ALT"
matchstr 5 32 "\13"
matchread 10
jump 63
!
@LABEL 62
jsr 64
jump 32
!
@LABEL 63
jsr 64
jump 60
!
@LABEL 64
note "Modem Reliable Link Established." 3
userhook 2
return
!
! -- COMPRESSION parsing --
!
! Userhook 3 informs ARA that a modem-to-modem compression
! protocol has been negotiated
!
@LABEL 66
matchclr
matchstr 1 32 "NONE"
matchstr 2 67 "V"
matchstr 3 67 "MNP5"
matchstr 4 67 "CLASS"
matchstr 5 32 "\13"
matchread 10
jump 68
!
@LABEL 67
jsr 69
jump 32
!
@LABEL 68
jsr 69
jump 60
!
@LABEL 69
note "Modem Compression Established." 3
userhook 3
return
!
!
! -- Normal exit after "CONNECT" --
!
!
@LABEL 70
!
! Turn CTS on, for hardware flow control
!
note "Hardware flow control on" 3
HSReset 0 1 0 0 0 0
!
ifANSWER 71
pause 5
!
@LABEL 71
note "End Script" 3
exit 0
!
!
! ---- Answer calls ----
!
! A RING result from the modem and in ANSWERING mode
! claims the serial port and answering the phone
!
@LABEL 81
ifORIGINATE 32
userhook 1
note "Answering phone..." 3
write "ATA\13"
jump 32
!
!
! ---- Hang up and reset modem ----
!
@HANGUP
@LABEL 90
note "Hanging up and resetting the modem" 3
settries 0
HSReset 0 0 0 0 0 0
!
@LABEL 92
!
! Escape from data to command mode
!
note "Escaping from data to command mode" 3
matchclr
matchstr 1 94 "OK\13\10"
pause 11
write "+++"
matchread 20
!
@LABEL 94
!
! Send hangup command
!
note "Sending hangup command" 3
pause 10
matchclr
matchstr 1 98 "NO CARRIER\13\10"
matchstr 2 98 "OK\13\10"
matchstr 3 98 "ERROR\13\10"
matchstr 4 98 "0\13\10"
write "ATH0\13"
matchread 30
!
! If that fails, toggle DTR
!
note "Toggling DTR" 3
DTRClear
pause 5
DTRSet
flush
!
! Try this three times only
!
inctries
iftries 3 101
jump 92
!
!
@LABEL 98
!
! Reset phone to default settings
!
note "Resetting phone to default settings" 3
pause 10
matchclr
matchstr 1 99 "OK\13\10"
write "AT&F\13"
matchread 30
jump 101
!
@LABEL 99
note "End Script" 3
exit 0
!
! ---- Error messages -----
!
! Modem Not Responding
@LABEL 101
note "Modem not responding" 3
exit -6019
!
! No Dial Tone
@LABEL 102
note "No Dial Tone" 3
exit -6020
!
! No Carrier or Error
@LABEL 103
note "No Carrier or Error" 3
exit -6021
!
! Busy
@LABEL 104
note "Busy" 3
exit -6022
!
! No Answer
@LABEL 105
note "No Answer" 3
exit -6023
!
! User Cancellation
@LABEL 107
note "User Concellation" 3
exit -6008
!
@LABEL 108
note "The phone or network does not seem to support the GPR/UMTSS options required for this script" 3
exit -6002 "The phone or network does not seem to support the GPR/UMTSS options required for this script"
!
@LABEL 109
note "This script is only suitable for Ericsson mobile phones" 3
exit -6002 "This script is only suitable for Ericsson mobile phones"
!
@LABEL 110
note "DO NOT put *99... in the telephone number - use the Access Point Name (APN) for your network instead" 3
exit -6002 "DO NOT put *99... in the telephone number - use the Access Point Name (APN) for your network instead"

Jupeman
Aug 20, 2005, 02:23 PM

So, I've followed the above directions. I signed up for MediaNet Unlimited, I've paired my Razr, I've chosen a Motorola script, but my Mac (Powerbook 15") doesn't seem to connect. It almost appears as if the Mac does not initiate a successful bluetooth connection with the phone. This despite a successful pairing. Even when I force a pairing (by selecting "browse device") nothing happens when I try to connect via the "Bluetooth Modem".

I'm about to go on a long trip and would love the connectivity. Am I missing something simple? Most of this discussion is about optimizing performance, I just want to connect at this point!
Lots of Macs in the house...
Mac owner since 1985

iomatic
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 03:40 PM

Is there a menu item in the Razr to enable DUN (Dial-Up Networking), as in the Treo? The PowerBook will exhibit the exact same symptoms if this is not enabled with a Treo. Also, in Network Preferences, try only enabling Bluetooth Modem (no Airport, etc.)

HTH.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jupeman
So, I've followed the above directions. I signed up for MediaNet Unlimited, I've paired my Razr, I've chosen a Motorola script, but my Mac (Powerbook 15") doesn't seem to connect.
As I mentioned in this thread, the RAZR isn't an EDGE phone. As such, if you try to use a 3G script you probably won't connect. Replace the 3G script with a GPRS one and see what happens.

crozlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2005, 05:05 PM

How many days has it been since you first started trying to get EDGE speeds using your s710a before you got this result? I'm trying to figure out whether this improvement was due to my script changes or to network repairs.

F1000,

It had been about 10 days of trying before any success. It could have quite possibly been a complete cooincidence that the day after I updated my modem scripts the network was repaired.

I have no way of knowing.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 05:30 PM

F1000,

It had been about 10 days of trying before any success. It could have quite possibly been a complete cooincidence that the day after I updated my modem scripts the network was repaired.

I have no way of knowing.
Try swapping out the new modem script and replacing it with Barkman's original one, and then see if your connect speeds remain high.

I'd also like for you to run my diagnostic modem script. You should be getting over 190 kbps on average and I'd like to see if there are any other bottlenecks involved.

crozlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2005, 05:56 PM

Try swapping out the new modem script and replacing it with Barkman's original one, and then see if your connect speeds remain high.

I'd also like for you to run my diagnostic modem script. You should be getting over 190 kbps on average and I'd like to see if there are any other bottlenecks involved.

F1000,

Well NOW i'm beginning to suspect the network. BACK IN SANTA BARBARA NOW... and (although I have full bars and full data network coverage at my current location) here's my results.

I restarted. Replaced Barkman's script with the one you posted above. De-selected and re-selected it in "Network Preferences--->Bluetooth Modem". Re-Tweaked Network Settings with original figures (net.inet.tcp.slowlink_wsize=108040, etc...) using 'sudo' commands. Double-checked to make sure the tweaks were correctly inputted using 'sysctl -a', etc...

And here's what I got from the LA SpeakEasy server:

Download Speed: 30 kbps (3.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

And here's the console connect log:

===== Saturday, August 20, 2005 2:20:16 PM America/Los_Angeles =====
Sat Aug 20 14:20:27 2005 : Sony Ericsson 3G CID1
Sat Aug 20 14:20:27 2005 : Checking if the phone is responding
Sat Aug 20 14:20:27 2005 : Checking if the phone is a Sony Ericsson
Sat Aug 20 14:20:27 2005 : Configuring the phone
Sat Aug 20 14:20:27 2005 : Setting additional options
Sat Aug 20 14:20:27 2005 : Setup completed
Sat Aug 20 14:20:27 2005 : Making network connection
Sat Aug 20 14:20:28 2005 : CONNECT parsing
Sat Aug 20 14:20:29 2005 : Communicating at a variable rate.
Sat Aug 20 14:20:32 2005 : Hardware flow control on
Sat Aug 20 14:20:33 2005 : End Script
Sat Aug 20 14:20:33 2005 : Serial connection established.
Sat Aug 20 14:20:33 2005 : Using interface ppp0
Sat Aug 20 14:20:33 2005 : Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
Sat Aug 20 14:20:35 2005 : CHAP authentication succeeded: Congratulations!
Sat Aug 20 14:20:36 2005 : local IP address 10.197.144.112
Sat Aug 20 14:20:36 2005 : remote IP address 66.102.185.196
Sat Aug 20 14:20:36 2005 : primary DNS address 66.102.163.231
Sat Aug 20 14:20:36 2005 : secondary DNS address 66.102.163.232

Gosh!(*&^ This is aggravating...

I recently obtained the direct number to Cingular's Data Group:

866-490-2666

I'm going to call them now and inquire as to the state of the network. I'll post my findings...

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 06:19 PM

It looks like your phone is connecting just fine. The problem seems to be on CIngular's side.

I'd hold off on tweaking your phone until the EDGE network comes back up. Replace the diagnostic modem script with the previous one (with my edits) and then tweak as soon as you can find a cell tower that works.

I'd really like to hear that you're getting 190+ kbps data rates since I'm considering getting the new SE W600i Class 10 EDGE phone.

crozlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2005, 06:29 PM

Again, direct line to Cingular Data Group is:

866-490-2666

Don't bother calling these guys to figure out how to accomplish the task addressed in this thread. They openly admit that they are not trained in supporting bluetooth tethers of this kind, and that technically its not even supposed to work, let alone is officially supported. But I spoke candidly with the technician about my dillemma and he knew what I was talking about and said from his perspective that I was doing better than 99% of the folks he'd ever dared to trouble-shoot this problem with.

The most helpful information he was able to share was that customers routinely report slower data rates in California. He said he gets a lot of calls from people who were getting quick speeds in other states, but upon entering California noticed their network performance take a dive. He suggested a multitude of factors that could affect this from towers-per-capita to general congestion to overpopulation near city centers to atomospheric conditions, but admitted that he really couldn't say for sure what would be causing my slow data rates.

He WAS able to clarify that anywhere I get a GPRS signal these days, EDGE is available. And since the network is (technically) standardized NATION-WIDE, this would apply to anywhere in the U.S. I might travel.

So now, I suppose, I need to take a drive to Los Angeles at 3am to see if there's any truth to this. I'll be very curious to see if my settings are already correct, and all this has just been a network fritz. AARRG!

F1000,

I forgot to post the rest of my console ppp connect log after I told the modem to disconnect.

Sat Aug 20 14:56:14 2005 : Hangup (SIGHUP)
Sat Aug 20 14:56:14 2005 : Connection terminated.
Sat Aug 20 14:56:14 2005 : Connect time 35.7 minutes.
Sat Aug 20 14:56:14 2005 : Sent 356054 bytes, received 1286016 bytes.
Sat Aug 20 14:56:15 2005 : Hanging up and resetting the modem
Sat Aug 20 14:56:15 2005 : Escaping from data to command mode
Sat Aug 20 14:56:18 2005 : Sending hangup command
Sat Aug 20 14:56:19 2005 : Resetting phone to default settings
Sat Aug 20 14:56:20 2005 : End Script
Sat Aug 20 14:56:20 2005 : Serial link disconnected.

...WHERE TO GO FROM HERE?.......

crozlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2005, 06:34 PM

It looks like your phone is connecting just fine. The problem seems to be on CIngular's side.

I'd hold off on tweaking your phone until the EDGE network comes back up. Replace the diagnostic modem script with the previous one (with my edits) and then tweak as soon as you can find a cell tower that works.

I'd really like to hear that you're getting 190+ kbps data rates since I'm considering getting the new SE W600i Class 10 EDGE phone.

Well, I'm glad to hear you've got something invested in seeing this problem resolved. I know its been a long-winded pain and I REALLY appreciate your help. I'd be glad to see it provide you with relevent information as well. I've learned quite a bit in this process...

So right now I'll just replace the diagnostic script w/ the (edited) Barkman 3G script and wait until a day / location where I start to see EDGE speeds.

Until then, are these still the optimal system network settings?:

net.inet.tcp.newreno=1

thanks, F1000...

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 06:50 PM

Until then, are these still the optimal system network settings?:

net.inet.tcp.newreno=1
Those will do for now. My guess is that your slowlink size will be higher than 108040 due to your faster theoretical connect speeds, but we can figure that out later.

There's also a chance that your phone is kaput. You might want to see if you can exchange it for another one. I'd refrain from mentioning tethering to Cingular, though.

rancidbry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2005, 08:18 PM

That was the most creative advice I've heard yet... and I've heard a lot. I tried changing the Serial Port number in the bluetooth system preferences, however I still get the same result... hang up on authentication. I also tried changing the port type from "RS-232" to "Modem." Also no result. I'm going to go to the apple store and ask a the Genius Bar. Lets see how genius they really are. I'm almost completely out of options...
~Bryan

crozlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2005, 10:37 PM

Those will do for now. My guess is that your slowlink size will be higher than 108040 due to your faster theoretical connect speeds, but we can figure that out later.

There's also a chance that your phone is kaput. You might want to see if you can exchange it for another one. I'd refrain from mentioning tethering to Cingular, though.

Do you think there's any way to test the phone??

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2005, 12:14 AM

I don't know.

Jupeman
Aug 21, 2005, 12:47 PM

As I mentioned in this thread, the RAZR isn't an EDGE phone. As such, if you try to use a 3G script you probably won't connect. Replace the 3G script with a GPRS one and see what happens.
Understood, I'm using a GPRS script and no luck.

There does not appear to be a DUN option on the phone, but perhaps I don't know where to look.
Mac owner since 1985

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2005, 02:54 PM

Understood, I'm using a GPRS script and no luck.

There does not appear to be a DUN option on the phone, but perhaps I don't know where to look.
Can you post a copy of your PPP log from Console?

Jupeman
Aug 21, 2005, 04:16 PM

Can you post a copy of your PPP log from Console?
Not much:
"Aug 21 16:09:44 Powerbook ppd[838]: Connect script failed"

Should the Pbook automatically connect with the phone or to I have to establish a new connection each time (e.g., browse the device). I never see the Powerbook and Phone connect via Bluetooth when attempting to connect. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.
Mac owner since 1985

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2005, 04:27 PM

Not much:
"Aug 21 16:09:44 Powerbook ppd[838]: Connect script failed"

Should the Pbook automatically connect with the phone or to I have to establish a new connection each time (e.g., browse the device). I never see the Powerbook and Phone connect via Bluetooth when attempting to connect. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.
Does the phone even light up when you initiate a connection? My phone "wakes up" as soon as it receives a dial-up command.

You can set your computer to automatically connect to the Internet whenever a connection is needed. I find the feature annoying, though, and prefer to connect manually.

Jupeman
Aug 21, 2005, 07:40 PM

Does the phone even light up when you initiate a connection? My phone "wakes up" as soon as it receives a dial-up command.

You can set your computer to automatically connect to the Internet whenever a connection is needed. I find the feature annoying, though, and prefer to connect manually.
No, the phone doesn't react at all. I have suspected this is not correct behavior! (Note that I have no problem sharing files, moving MP3s, pictures, etc., between my Mac(s) and the phone.)

I am fine with connecting manually - if it worked.
Mac owner since 1985

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2005, 08:10 PM

No, the phone doesn't react at all. I have suspected this is not correct behavior! (Note that I have no problem sharing files, moving MP3s, pictures, etc., between my Mac(s) and the phone.)

I am fine with connecting manually - if it worked.
It sounds like you need to pair your phone with your PowerBook first. System Preferences / Bluetooth / Devices / Set Up New Device.

You might also want to consider posting your questions concerning the RAZR in a the following thread: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...highlight=razr

Jupeman
Aug 21, 2005, 08:57 PM

It sounds like you need to pair your phone with your PowerBook first. System Preferences / Bluetooth / Devices / Set Up New Device.

You might also want to consider posting your questions concerning the RAZR in a the following thread: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...highlight=razr
I've paired the phone at least 50 times.

I've checked out that other thread, followed the very basic instructions and they don't work, either.

One strange thing is that I attempted to delete all my network settings and effectively start over. When I tried to do this the Bluetooth option appeared as a network configuration but it was greyed out and would not let me "Configure" it. Any idea why this would happen?
Mac owner since 1985

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2005, 09:11 PM

One strange thing is that I attempted to delete all my network settings and effectively start over. When I tried to do this the Bluetooth option appeared as a network configuration but it was greyed out and would not let me "Configure" it. Any idea why this would happen?
Try running Disk Utility and doing a Repair Permissions. Something's not right with your system.

crozlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2005, 02:59 AM

I've paired the phone at least 50 times.

I've checked out that other thread, followed the very basic instructions and they don't work, either.

DiskWarrior is also highly recommendable. You will need 3.0.3 if you're running Tiger, however.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2005, 06:54 AM

Maybe not, but Cingular is a SIM card based service. You can certainly move your SIM card (and data account info) over to another phone and see if that works. If it does, then maybe your phone IS bad. Have a friend with a Cingular phone your can borrow ??

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2005, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Krusty
Maybe not, but Cingular is a SIM card based service. You can certainly move your SIM card (and data account info) over to another phone and see if that works. If it does, then maybe your phone IS bad. Have a friend with a Cingular phone your can borrow ??
Good point, Krusty. If you can't find a friend with a Cingular phone, crozlo, then take it to a retail store instead. I did this when I was trying to figure out why the EDGE symbol wasn't showing up on my V551, and the Cingular tech swapped my SIM card into a known working phone just as Krusty suggested.

rancidbry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2005, 08:22 PM

I have done everything on this forum to try and connect. I have a mac powerbook G4 15" runnign Tiger. I'm tried using these settings
number: blank, *99***2#, wap.cingular
account name: [email protected]
password: CINGULAR1
script: Sony Ericsson 3G CID1

It connects fine, but as soon as it reaches the authentication stage the computer and phone dissconect. Any creative suggestions?

Originally Posted by Krusty
Hmmm ... maybe the bottleneck is the bandwidth available where you are. Being near the UT campus, I'd imagine a network that is reasonably congested with people accessing Cingular's data network. If you may, I'd suggest trying it at some really weird time of day (like 5:00 am or something) and see if it improves.

As for me, I let myself get suckered in to another (very expensive, data intensive) speed test and it bested my former number of 112k down (I got 122 this time) and this is with Class IV optimizations on my Class 10 device ... so I'm reasonably satisfied with what I'm getting. It's about 2.5x realistic dial-up speeds, so to me it seems well worth the extra $20 I'm gonna plop down for unlimited MEdiaNet (as soon as I get a laptop ... I've been testing with my eMac's internal BT thus far).

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2005, 09:34 PM

I have done everything on this forum to try and connect. I have a mac powerbook G4 15" runnign Tiger. I'm tried using these settings
number: blank, *99***2#, wap.cingular
account name: [email protected]
password: CINGULAR1
script: Sony Ericsson 3G CID1

It connects fine, but as soon as it reaches the authentication stage the computer and phone dissconect. Any creative suggestions?
Stick with wap.cingular for the number. You're just complicating matters by trying all those other numbers.

Make sure that ALL of your settings are as I stated in my first post. Make especially sure that "Enable error correction and compression in modem" is UNchecked (meaning NOT checked).

First, try using a different CID number. Try Sony Ericsson 3G CID2, CID3, etc.

If you still have problems, replace the modem script with the diagnostic script that I posted above and follow my instructions. Posting the PPP log here will provide me with more detailed information to diagnose your problem. Finally, try doing a hard reset of your phone.

rancidbry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2005, 10:27 PM

all the settings are exactly as you first posted, plus I've tested tons of other combinations with no success. I have tried all the sony ericsson scripts also with no success.
Where is the diagnostic script? What is it called, I may already have it.
I looked up the ppp log in the console but it won't make new logs. here is an example of one of the times I tried to connect, but not a recent one for some reason:

Wed Aug 17 00:14:45 2005 : Sony Ericsson 3G CID1
Wed Aug 17 00:14:45 2005 : Making network connection
Wed Aug 17 00:14:50 2005 : Serial connection established.
Wed Aug 17 00:14:51 2005 : Using interface ppp0
Wed Aug 17 00:14:51 2005 : Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
Wed Aug 17 00:14:52 2005 : CHAP authentication succeeded: Congratulations!
Wed Aug 17 00:14:52 2005 : Hangup (SIGHUP)
Wed Aug 17 00:14:52 2005 : Modem hangup
Wed Aug 17 00:14:52 2005 : Connection terminated.
Wed Aug 17 00:16:05 2005 : Sony Ericsson 3G CID1
Wed Aug 17 00:16:05 2005 : Connect script failed

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2005, 10:45 PM

Where is the diagnostic script? What is it called, I may already have it.
Post #20 from the top. You have to copy-paste the script into a new file.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2005, 07:47 AM

...and on a side note ....
I just found that broadbandreports has a special speed tester just for mobile devices. Its small, clean, and gives latency times etc. ... sweet

http://www.broadbandreports.com/mspeed

Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2005, 04:10 PM

WOW!!! We are having a major storm here right now. I just drove home through water above the door sills of my car . Power is out at my house too and apparently has been out for quite a while because the battery backup on my computer gear is dead too.

Guess this makes it the first time the laptop + cellphone data has REALLY come in handy. I emailed my roommate (still at work) and girlfriend and warned them off of trying to come here any time soon. Now, I'm (slowly) posting on MacNN. This ROCKS !!!

edit: power just came back on 4:09 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules