Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > VIRIDIAN ROOM, Sequel to the Crimson room

VIRIDIAN ROOM, Sequel to the Crimson room
Dex13
Mac Elite
May 22, 2004, 03:40 AM

Enjoy

I'm stuck right now

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 22, 2004, 05:14 AM

I�ve got 2 pictures, a picture frame, black hair, a can of Coke, a medicine bottle, incense sticks, 5 cards with chinese characters and a CD case.

Nice touch: you can see the Crimson room through the keyhole in one of the doors.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 05:39 AM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
I�ve got 2 pictures, a picture frame, black hair, a can of Coke, a medicine bottle, incense sticks, 5 cards with chinese characters and a CD case.
Picture frame and incense sticks? Where the hell did you find those???

The five cards with Chinese characters can be divided into two groups:

般若, meaning "wisdom, prajna" in Buddhism, and
波罗蜜, meaning "jackfruit, pineapple, crossing over from this shore of births and deaths to the other shore" (last one Buddhism as well).

I'm not sure what to do with that, but that's what they are...

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 22, 2004, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
Picture frame and incense sticks? Where the hell did you find those???

The five cards with Chinese characters can be divided into two groups:

般若, meaning "wisdom, prajna" in Buddhism, and
波罗蜜, meaning "jackfruit, pineapple, crossing over from this shore of births and deaths to the other shore" (last one Buddhism as well).

I'm not sure what to do with that, but that's what they are...
The picture frame is lying under the shoe rack-click near the bottom. The incense sticks are in the grey shelf-above the book with the lock.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 05:52 AM

The picture frame is lying under the shoe rack-click near the bottom. The incense sticks are in the grey shelf-above the book with the lock.
Yeah, I found the incense sticks, but when I click near the bottom of the shoe-rack, it just floats the shoes again...

Wait, I got it... clicked the exact same place, but different reaction...

Edit: What the hell is that guy saying when you open the door??? Can anyone make it out? I get something like, "You dive into unbelievable deep, [something] heavenly hell, there's no skill, there's sub [something]" - anyone able to get more? (Click to listen)
( Last edited by Ois�n; May 22, 2004 at 06:08 AM. )

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 22, 2004, 06:23 AM

Safari quit on me and I�m not in the mood to do the whole thing again. Maybe later.
The key was a little hard to find.

Me on Flickr.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 06:27 AM

Safari quit on me and I�m not in the mood to do the whole thing again. Maybe later.
The key was a little hard to find.
A little hard to find??? I haven't found it yet!!!

But I have found out that there are two of the characters on the piece of paper that are not Chinese characters!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 07:04 AM

Okay, somebody Japanese help me here!

What is 摩訶般若波羅蜜多心経 supposed to mean???

In Chinese it would be something like "press scold prajna paramita prajna-heart-sutra". But what would that mean???

This game is driving me nuts!!!

entrox
Senior User
May 22, 2004, 07:57 AM

Got out! Pretty cool revelation at the ending :-)

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 22, 2004, 08:31 AM

Gave it another try and escaped. Needed a little help assembling the box though.

Me on Flickr.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 08:34 AM

I suck at this... I still haven't found the damn key...

entrox
Senior User
May 22, 2004, 08:46 AM

I suck at this... I still haven't found the damn key...
Well, finding the key is a matter of wildly clicking on every point in every screen

Hint: it's on the skeleton.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by entrox:
Hint: it's on the skeleton.
Urgh, that's where I've been frantically searching for it...

I feel like I've clicked every pixel of every corner in that room ten times with each of the "tools" marked...

Edit: Argh, finally! That only took about 10,000 clicks...

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 22, 2004, 08:57 AM

Urgh, that's where I've been frantically searching for it...

I feel like I've clicked every pixel of every corner in that room ten times with each of the "tools" marked...

Edit: Argh, finally! That only took about 10,000 clicks...
The Crimson Room was even worse clicking wise.

Me on Flickr.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 09:00 AM

The Crimson Room was even worse clicking wise.
Yikes, glad I never tried that one then...

Now, please don't tell me I have to choose the right combination out of 10,000 possible???

entrox
Senior User
May 22, 2004, 09:06 AM

Now, please don't tell me I have to choose the right combination out of 10,000 possible???
No, it is pretty obvious after you read that diary. He was obsessed with that woman, so what would he choose as a combination?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 09:10 AM

No, it is pretty obvious after you read that diary. He was obsessed with that woman, so what would he choose as a combination?
Duh... *slaps self*

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 10:18 AM

Gave it another try and escaped. Needed a little help assembling the box though.
Guess what? I'm stuck again... I think I need some help assembling that box too... shouldn't 1-6 be 般若波羅蜜多? And then... ?

(No, I haven't been sitting doing this non-stop all afternoon/evening, I've been out to dinner and other things too!)

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 22, 2004, 10:41 AM

Guess what? I'm stuck again... I think I need some help assembling that box too... shouldn't 1-6 be 般若波羅蜜多? And then... ?

(No, I haven't been sitting doing this non-stop all afternoon/evening, I've been out to dinner and other things too!)
OK-you should have several items: 6 cards with characters, 1 green card that looks like an open box, 1 piece of paper with dice on it, the medicine bottle with the piece of paper in it.

The piece with the dice gives you the number, the piece in the bottle the corresponding character; now all you have to do is put the characters on the green thingy in the right order-voila.
If it doesn`t work right away try it several times.

Me on Flickr.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2004, 10:43 AM

Here's what I have: 5 pieces of paper with writing, a skeleton on the floor with an unlocked chain, a bookshelf with a carefully placed empty picture frame, can of beer, burning incense (thanks to the lighter and incense sticks) and a cd case, and a bell that rings and makes me say "I can almost feel his spirit"... I also have some hair, a medicine bottle, a CD, 2 pictures, a diary key and a rolled up blanket...

Am I still missing a piece of writing (#4)? How on earth do I find out where I have to make a box... ???

Later: okay I have the green cube paper, and the paper in the medicne bottle... but I think I'm still missing a piece of paper and I've hunted everywhere...
( Last edited by AB^2=BCxAC; May 22, 2004 at 10:53 AM. )
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 10:51 AM

Yeah, there should be six pieces of writing all in all. Your CD is in the case, right?

I got out, but only by cheating. Bah. I'd done everything I had to to get out four or five times already, only in the wrong order. This thing is immensely stupid.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 22, 2004, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
Here's what I have: 5 pieces of paper with writing, a skeleton on the floor with an unlocked chain, a bookshelf with a carefully placed empty picture frame, can of beer, burning incense (thanks to the lighter and incense sticks) and a cd case, and a bell that rings and makes me say "I can almost feel his spirit"... I also have some hair, a medicine bottle, a CD, 2 pictures, a diary key and a rolled up blanket...

Am I still missing a piece of writing (#4)? How on earth do I find out where I have to make a box... ???

Later: okay I have the green cube paper, and the paper in the medicne bottle... but I think I'm still missing a piece of paper and I've hunted everywhere...
There is one on top of a lamp-do you have that one yet?
And put the beer back in the fridge-believe me.

Me on Flickr.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2004, 11:03 AM

There is one on top of a lamp-do you have that one yet?
And put the beer back in the fridge-believe me.
It's got to be the lamp one, because no matter where I click on the lamp, I'm not getting anywhere!

Ah. Cold beer : )
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 11:06 AM

It's got to be the lamp one, because no matter where I click on the lamp, I'm not getting anywhere!
You have to stand with the bookcase-thingy on your right, looking at the blue door with the keyhole (into the Crimson room), then you'll just see the edge of the lamp at the very top - click on that, then the last card will appear. But only sometimes, sometimes you have to go back again and then click again for it to show up...

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2004, 11:21 AM

Alright, it looks like I'm down to making the box... I've never felt so Western in all my life. I have no idea what this means.

Thanks for the lamp advice... that was the trickiest to see!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 11:51 AM

Alright, it looks like I'm down to making the box... I've never felt so Western in all my life. I have no idea what this means.
Making the box took me ages, and it's where I eventually had to cheat. Make sure you've put the CD in its case (otherwise you can't make the box at all), and then use the lighter on the hair...

The meaning of the characters is unimportant, they just mean 'prajna paramita' (which is something Buddhist about reaching perfection through wisdom or something)...

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 11:56 AM

Making the box took me ages, and it's where I eventually had to cheat. Make sure you've put the CD in its case (otherwise you can't make the box at all), and then use the lighter on the hair...

The meaning of the characters is unimportant, they just mean 'prajna paramita' (which is something Buddhist about reaching perfection through wisdom or something)...
Where do you find the CD? And how do you even start to make the box?

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2004, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the advice, but before I looked I still managed to escape... whoa, that was a welle executed game!

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 22, 2004, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
Where do you find the CD? And how do you even start to make the box?
You need the diary for the CD. After some empty pages there it is.
The box is made by placing cards with the chinese characters on a piece of paper shaped like a box that has been opened.

Me on Flickr.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 12:25 PM

You need the diary for the CD. After some empty pages there it is.
The box is made by placing cards with the chinese characters on a piece of paper shaped like a box that has been opened.
How do you get the diary? I can't find the key on the skeleton....

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 12:26 PM

How do you get the diary? I can't find the key on the skeleton....
Left wrist. Click and click and click, and then click some more. You can't see it till you've clicked on it, then it drops to the floor.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 12:38 PM

Where is the box?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 01:08 PM

Where is the box?
Blanket

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 09:14 PM

OK, I think I've got everything now. How do you build the box? I put the six Chinese symbol-letters on the pattern, but what is the order? How does the box build? I've unlocked the skeleton. Where does the CD and CD holder go? Does the picture frame go on the bookcase? I've put the beer in the fridge.

I can't figure out what's next and how to complete this puzzle.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2004, 09:41 PM

finally got out.

cool ending!

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 10:46 PM

How come I'm missing the easy stuff? Where's the green cube thing?

Matt Fahrenbacher

Jansar
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 11:34 PM

I had to cheat a little as well, because parts of the game were practically impossible...

Anyway, the game has a sad story...
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2004, 07:25 AM

I can't find the lighter or the piece of paper with the dice on it
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 23, 2004, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by Black Book:
I can't find the lighter or the piece of paper with the dice on it
The lighter is under the waste basket. You have to view every item-only then can you lift the basket. If you burn the hairs with the lighter you find the dice.

Me on Flickr.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2004, 10:29 AM

The lighter is under the waste basket. You have to view every item-only then can you lift the basket. If you burn the hairs with the lighter you find the dice.
No, it's just the hair you have to view to get the lighter, not all items.

And you have to have put the CD in its cover before you can burn the hair, otherwise it just does nothing...

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
May 23, 2004, 10:38 AM

Nevermind... I got it. I hate how you have to be just in the right spot to actually pick up the red blanket... grrr...

Matt Fahrenbacher

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2004, 11:28 AM

I made the box. I put the man's picture in the frame and put it on the bookshelf. Then I took the beer out of the fridge (making sure it was "chilly") and put it on the bookshelf too. Then I lit the incense and rang the bell. I'm still getting the message "These aren't complete yet", though. If the beer gets warm the message goes to "I can almost feel the dead person's spirit", so I have to chill it again.

What's next? It's obvious that I'm constructing a Buddhist-style offering to the dead man, thus the picture and the beer. Do I swap it for the picture of the woman? That doesn't make sense in terms of Buddhism; I'd be offering her the beer instead of him.

UPDATE: OK, I put the CD and case on the bookshelf. Now when I ring the bell, though, I get "Something's still missing..."
( Last edited by Millennium; May 23, 2004 at 11:33 AM. )
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2004, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
UPDATE: OK, I put the CD and case on the bookshelf. Now when I ring the bell, though, I get "Something's still missing..."
You did unlock the chain at the skeleton's feet? And you have the cold beer, the CD case (incl. CD) and incense lying on the table when you light the incense and ring the bell?

That should be it, I think... am I forgetting something here?

entrox
Senior User
May 23, 2004, 11:47 AM

You don't need the picture frame, or at least I didn't need it. After you have assembled the box, you put the chilly beer and the CD in the case on the bookshelf, burn the incense and ring the bell.
You also need to open the lock in order to release the spirit.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2004, 11:56 AM

You don't need the picture frame, or at least I didn't need it.
You're right. Putting it on the shelf seems to have actually hurt me, rather than helped. Removing it yields a "better" message.
After you have assembled the box, you put the chilly beer and the CD in the case on the bookshelf, burn the incense and ring the bell.
You also need to open the lock in order to release the spirit.
I've done all these things, except maybe the lock.

The lock at the skeleton's feet is definitely at the correct combination (the woman's name, letters converted to number), and when I click it it makes a nice clanking sound, but it still "looks" closed. I've tried clicking and going back to the bookshelf several times, just in case I was making a mistake, but it doesn't seem to affect those things. Is there some way to visibly undo the chain, which I might be missing?

entrox
Senior User
May 23, 2004, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
The lock at the skeleton's feet is definitely at the correct combination (the woman's name, letters converted to number), and when I click it it makes a nice clanking sound, but it still "looks" closed. I've tried clicking and going back to the bookshelf several times, just in case I was making a mistake, but it doesn't seem to affect those things. Is there some way to visibly undo the chain, which I might be missing?
Try her birthday ;-)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2004, 12:00 PM

Try her birthday ;-)
Ah. I'd figured it would be her name.

OK, I'm done. Cool ending.

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2004, 12:39 PM

Good game, although mildly frustrating at times. I burnt the hair without putting the CD in the box - so I put it in and just kept burning the paper until the symbols appeared. That was a relief - I thought I might've had to start again.

Ooh - it's only 3 quid to buy the blue room...
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Black Book:
I burnt the hair without putting the CD in the box - so I put it in and just kept burning the paper until the symbols appeared.
Huh??? How'dya do that???

When I tried to burn the paper (and the beer bottle, and the characters and everything else), it wouldn't do it at first. Then I tried again later, after I'd put the CD in its case, and then it worked...

Forum Links
Forum Rules