Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Linux and VLC 1.1.1

Linux and VLC 1.1.1
Dex13
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2010, 11:19 PM

So, I've been trying to breathe some life into my powerbook 17" (1.67, 2GB, 100GB HD). However, the biggest hurdle has been high defintiion video, which would look great on the display as I travel more often now. I know that currently under any Mac OS, playback of 720p video will never be possible.

VLC has now though included GPU acceleration to its builds natively through windows and linux (ATi support is being rolled out soon in 1.1.1). I have the ATI 9700 128, and was wondering if they would even support that ancient of a chip with GPU support and if that would help with general playback not only in HD video but flash as well.

I would use the latest version of Ubuntu for PPC, which is 10.04.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2010, 12:08 AM

It may help with playing certain video formats, but not Flash. The Flash plugin is not GPU accelerated on the Mac.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2010, 10:44 PM

I doubt they'd support such an old GPU...they don't even list my nVidia 8800GT.

Forum Links
Forum Rules