Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I can't delete from my Apps folder

I can't delete from my Apps folder
meme23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2002, 04:12 AM

I'm not sure what I did or how to undo it. but I can no longer delete things from my Applications folder (the one with the fancy icon)

I take stuff out of it and it is acting like it is a different hard drive.

when I delete things from it I get these error msgs (depending on the application)

check it out: http://killyourtv.com/HowDoIOwnMyMacAgain.jpg

at about the same time my stickies died a horrible death - oh well, no biggie there, but it make me wonder about something else afoot.

any one have any thoughts?

thanks

jonathan[/LIST]

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 15, 2002, 05:01 AM

Very easy to fix. Why it happened? Who knows, maybe a rouge installer screwed with your permissions, but regardless, you have two options.

1) Dive into the Terminal and use a few commands

or the easier, Unix newbie way:

2) Use BatChmo to change the permissions back to the way they were so you can edit them again.

The Applications folder should be owned by "root", have the group of "admin" and have read/write/execute for both owner and group, and "read/execute" for the "other" category.

Hope this gets you going!

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2002, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
<STRONG>Very easy to fix. Why it happened? Who knows, maybe a rouge installer screwed with your permissions, but regardless, you have two options.

1) Dive into the Terminal and use a few commands

or the easier, Unix newbie way:

2) Use BatChmo to change the permissions back to the way they were so you can edit them again.

The Applications folder should be owned by "root", have the group of "admin" and have read/write/execute for both owner and group, and "read/execute" for the "other" category.

Hope this gets you going!</STRONG>
I do not know if batchmod respects the setuid bit. So do not apply the permissions to enclosing items. Then several utilities might stop working.

DJ

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

meme23  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2002, 01:23 PM

yeah i figured out that it was an installer - grrr! a lesson learned!

abd BatChmod did the trick nicely - thanks!

jonathan http://killyourtv.com

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2002, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by The DJ:
<STRONG>

I do not know if batchmod respects the setuid bit. So do not apply the permissions to enclosing items. Then several utilities might stop working.
</STRONG>

Try using XRay instead of BatChmod. XRay lets you control the setuid and setgid flags, and can be used via the contextual menu.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2002, 03:24 PM

Didn't Apple put out a patch that reset the Application folder's privileges to the correct setting?

Forum Links
Forum Rules