Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Magazines on the iPad.

Magazines on the iPad.
ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2010, 06:31 PM

Books, I get, they are epub files, and they get downloaded through iBooks. Pre keynote there was a lot of talk about digital magazines being the new thing, with Sports Illustrated putting out their concept video of SI on a tablet computer and the Bonnier Mag+ concept.

So would interactive magazines like this be an unannounced 'Magazine Store', or individual apps? There would have to be a system to buy individual issues or subscribe to the weekly/monthly issues. So there's the system similar to podcasts and TV series with Get Issue, or Subscribe options, or it could work through downloading the magazine reader app, and buying magazines through in app purchases.

Personally I'd prefer it to be a Magazine Store, not apps and purchases.
( Last edited by ajprice; Feb 1, 2010 at 06:45 PM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2010, 06:35 PM

I'm am 100% sure Apple is working on something like this.

What disappointed me was that they didn't have it ready for the launch.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2010, 06:40 PM

This would be a huge selling point for me.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2010, 09:52 PM

I know with the Kindle and Amazon's store you can get Time magazine and stuff like that. There are still two months until the launch of the iPad so hopefully Apple is working with content providers to get their books and magazines onto the iBook store.

Maybe they didn't mention anything since they didn't want to show the iPad to too many companies before announcing it?

Likewise, I really hope this happens since I have some magazine subscriptions on the Kindle and I think they'll be a lot nicer in full colour on the iPad. Granted, they don't have to be as amazing as the Sports Illustrated concept -- I wouldn't argue if they were -- but just more than the, basically, plain text that the Kindle offers would be nice.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2010, 10:51 PM

I’m with Eug. They clearly were still negotiating last week, but they’re planning on having magazines in there.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2010, 12:08 AM

I really think this is a big part of the grand plan for the iPad. Magazines or whatever they might eventually be called, with compelling content that make you want to purchase subscriptions, will be Apple's way of "saving journalism."

As things have been, the free internet is great for consumers but there's little money in it for journalists and publishers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules