Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Burnin' DVDs

Burnin' DVDs
mackandproud
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2010, 04:18 AM

I've burned most all my dvd collection to a backup hard drive. It's so much nicer watching dvd's from a drive: the whirring of the drive is absent, and the computer consumes less energy, when I'm not plugged in.

I've been using mactheripper and ripit.

Can I rip dvd's back to disc from my hard drive from backups I've created from both programs? Ripit creates a "button" you click on which automatically open the movie in dvd player. Mactheripper makes you drag the file to the dvd player icon to start playback.

I think it would be nice to tote around a backup that cost pennies to make rather than my originals and risk losing or scratching those.

Oh, and yes, all the backup dvd's are from my own collection, in case you were wondering.
( Last edited by mackandproud; Dec 4, 2010 at 06:33 AM. )

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2010, 12:11 PM

First, let me gently correct your terminology. You "rip" data from optical discs to your hard drive. You "burn" data from your hard drive back to optical disc.

That said, don't tote discs at all. Just copy the movies you want to watch to your hard drive and watch them. However, to answer your question, there is no way that I know of to burn those images back to DVD in such a way that they can be played.

Now if you want to make the files smaller, look into a program called HandBrake that will encode the ripped discs into regular movie files instead of DVD images.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2010, 03:44 PM

If the files are standard VIDEO_TS folders, you can burn them back as a data disc. If they are just files (AVI, MP4, MOV) you can use Toast, or better LiquidCD (Free), which will convert them to a VIDEO_TS format to burn. Just note it will take a while to do so.

LiquidCD

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2010, 07:44 AM

chabig, you're right, I meant burning dvd's and tried to change it in my thread title, but couldn't edit the original title.

excalibur, if i understand correctly, most movie dvd's are dual layer, with 7 or 8 gigs of data. However, single layer blank dvd's encode up to 4.7 gb's maximum.

Can a 2008 blackbook (2.4 ghz) burn dual layer dvds (8.5 gbs)?

-Q-
Dec 5, 2010, 09:20 AM

It most likely can, but you can check for yourself: go to the Apple menu in the upper left and hit "About This Mac," then press the 'More Info..." button and Apple System Profiler will launch and give you a summary of information about your machine. Select "Disc Burning" and you'll see what the drive is capable of.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2010, 11:09 AM

According to Apple History’s page on the early 2008 MacBook, it did ship with a Dual Layer drive, so it should be possible to do.

Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
chabig, you're right, I meant burning dvd's and tried to change it in my thread title, but couldn't edit the original title.
Thread title fixed.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2010, 09:40 PM

ha ha, thanks oisin and q. Much thanks.

I am going to go with Verbatim DVD+R DL:

Amazon.com: Verbatim 95310 8.5 GB 2.4x-6x Double Layer Recordable Disc DVD+R DL, 20-Disc Spindle: Electronics

Great reviews at amazon. If you think there is something better, I am open to suggestions.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2010, 12:12 AM

Yes! My macbook supports DVD+R DL burning. I'm good to go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules