Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Problem with iPhoto re-downloading photos from camera

Problem with iPhoto re-downloading photos from camera
yohei72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2012, 12:01 AM

Hi, all.

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4, OS 10.4.11. Running iPhoto 1.1.1.

I took roughly 1600 photos last fall on a vacation abroad, with my then-new Canon PowerShot SD4000 digital camera. I downloaded the photos into iPhoto right after my vacation, as per usual. Since then, I've taken about 200 more, which I'd like to download in order to share some of them. I thought that when I hooked the camera to my Mac and brought up iPhoto, it would recognize the photos it had already downloaded, ignore those and pull the new ones (in fact, a couple Mac-using friends told me so as well).

But it's not doing that - unless I'm misunderstanding what I'm seeing, it starts at the beginning, downloading them all again, which of course wastes a lot of time and storage space.

Should it be doing this? Anyone know of a workaround? Thank you!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2012, 03:01 AM

iPhoto 1.1.1?

Are you serious?

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2012, 05:07 AM

Ok after the wow! It's like stepping back in time...

It seems that you could have 2 problems (I assume your using the included software to upload)
1: Is auto transfer set? "this will upload all photos!"

2: You should see a window asking (After Clicking Import Images)
To select Import Untransferred Images.

I don't have a Canon PowerShot, nor do I use 10.4.11 1 I'm not using iPhoto 1.1.1
This link may help: Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS | PowerShot SD4000 IS / IXUS 300 HS Camera User Guide

yohei72  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2012, 12:44 PM

Thanks for a sincere attempt at a helpful reply, DarkStarRed. Unfortunately, I don't see either of those options in my prehistoric iPhoto. (What can I tell ya? I hadn't had a camera in years until I bought this one, my first digital, in October. So I'd never touched the iPhoto that came with my Mini, which I bought used at the end of '06. Didn't even know what version it was until I checked it last night in order to specify it in the post. That's the story.)

Well, obviously I need to upgrade my iPhoto if I'm feasibly going to keep using this camera. It looks like the latest version that will work with my OS is iPhoto 7. (I don't really fancy the headache of upgrading my whole OS now, especially as I expect to be getting a new Mac in the near future.) Doesn't seem Apple offers that for sale now - any thoughts on the best and/or easiest way to get it? I presume the sites that come up with "free iPhoto 7 download!" when I google are not to be trusted.

Thank you!

yohei72  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2012, 03:42 PM

Hm. After some more research, it appears what I need to do is get a copy of iLife '08, which can be had cheaply here, there and everywhere.

Thanks for giving me a little push towards figuring that out, DSR.

hab
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2012, 02:52 PM

Another option is to use the Image Capture application that comes with the Mac OS. You can select which photos to download from the camera. The application has a lot of other capabilities that are worth knowing about as well. Check it out.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

Forum Links
Forum Rules