Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 11)
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2009, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
I was using the FAMAS early on but have switched back to the M4A1 my cod4 weapon of choice , basically switching between red dot and heartbeat. I thought you could unlock the ability to have 2 attachments but I guess my poor lvl 20 isn't there yet.

Goals for the week/weekend are completing my veteran campaign and hopefully some more special ops so I can move to multi full time.

Anyone gonna be down for some ops/multi Friday or Saturday ?
You'll get bling at 21

Too bad using an AR without the scavenger perk leads to a lot of empty clips.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2009, 03:28 PM

You use the SCAR, though, which I found to be the most clip hungry of the ARs I've used.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2009, 04:39 PM

Yeah, my SCAR class uses scavenger pro. My AR of choice is the TAR-21, holographic sight and grenade launcher. If the map is a little bigger, but I don't want to snipe I use the SCAR with ACOG scope.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2009, 05:07 PM

Anyone gonna be down for some ops/multi Friday or Saturday ?
I need to work on my spec ops stars. Only have 15 right now. I have all next week off for achievement boosting.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You use the SCAR, though, which I found to be the most clip hungry of the ARs I've used.
True... but it's the most accurate of the high fire-rate ARs.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2009, 11:33 PM

I see there are some knife-lovers. Before you can shoot them they've knifed you from popping out of no-where.

When you wear a riot shield on your back, besides protecting you from bullets, does it protect you from being knifed in the back?
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2009, 11:47 PM

No it doesn't.

Speaking of knives...

Modern Warfare 2 amazing knife throw kill

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2009, 01:18 AM

Actually Stogie, just tonight one 'random factoid' before the match started said when you are carrying your riot shield on your back it does indeed block bullets.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2009, 04:14 AM

Warmed up with some TDM , got my ar$e reamed playing CTF and S&D, then managed to rank up with Domination. I just love Domination, very few campers, non-stop action, and you seem to be able to grab a bucket load of points. Got 31 for 7 on the last map before bed, sweet dreams were had.

As an aside, I saw a 63 (IIRC) 1st level Prestige last night on S&D.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2009, 05:05 AM

As my brother would say....

"Wait for it...

100% bitches!"

Now on to multiplayer!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Actually Stogie, just tonight one 'random factoid' before the match started said when you are carrying your riot shield on your back it does indeed block bullets.
Bullets... but from what I've heard not knives.

---

Weird night last night. I don't know if Live fuxxored but Fatty and I had some serious issues trying to join Bogues. And once we did, the game that set-up hung, leaving Fatty as the only player on one side.

At least the next game I got to go against Fatty and Bogues, who seemed to be staying close to each other the couple of times I ran into them.

(BTW Fatty, I figured out the reason my noob tube 'Fails' is because I'm using it so close to people it doesn't have time to arm. Else it would have killed you last night, rather than me having to stab you)

---

Overall, I have to say the game becomes very enjoyable after level 30. Most of your important perks are pro, less important ones now are available (cold-blooded, ninja), and you have most of the attachments you want. I was rollin' pretty hard last night. Made up for the Tuesday debacle and then-some.

Edit: Also, Fatty were you using a class with scrambler last night?
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Nov 19, 2009 at 11:22 AM. )

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2009, 11:29 AM

Yea crazy issues last night , I was having some up and down games but finally unlocked " bling", not sure if heartbeat and red dot is going to work, I find myself watching the sensor to often.

In other news finished my veteran campaign and I must say it was much much easier than COD4 and WaW.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2009, 11:32 AM

The sensor takes some getting used to, believe me.

I'm more than willing to concede the campaign is easier. Partly thanks tot he lack of respawns. I may give a few levels a try on vet.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2009, 11:38 AM

You could easily make a veteran run through, there was multiple levels I never died, I'll attribute that to no respawns and my veteran playing experience but mostly respawns,
I completed both my regular and veteran run through is 11 hours and 30 minutes , I think my regular was around 4 and a half which puts my veteran run at around 7 hours estimated.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2009, 11:40 AM

No, I refuse to revisit Rio.

And in case you guys haven't noticed, I way better at multi than single. What that means, I don't know.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2009, 12:03 PM

No, I refuse to revisit Rio.

And in case you guys haven't noticed, I way better at multi than single. What that means, I don't know.
I don't know what your issue is with single player,

What are you feelings on spec ops ?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2009, 12:05 PM

It's easier with another person to rescue you/cover your back. (Speaking of which, I'm down for some SO on Friday, like you planned)

I think the root of the issue is I'm not good 1 v x. Same reason I suck at FFA.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2009, 12:22 PM

It's easier with another person to rescue you/cover your back. (Speaking of which, I'm down for some SO on Friday, like you planned)
alright Friday it is

so what's everyones opinion of prestige mode , do you start over and loose your goods or stay at 70??

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2009, 12:28 PM

I'll be doing it just for the extra custom slots.

How many times will probably depend on how grueling it is. Starting at level 1 was probably way easier last week since not that many people were over 20.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2009, 01:43 PM

Edit: Also, Fatty were you using a class with scrambler last night?
Yeah, I've been playing around with that perk lately and, maybe it's just in my head, but I seem to be catching more people by surprise in TDM.

so what's everyones opinion of prestige mode , do you start over and loose your goods or stay at 70??
I plan on starting over as many times as I can, never have enough custom slots IMO.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Yeah, I've been playing around with that perk lately and, maybe it's just in my head, but I seem to be catching more people by surprise in TDM.
Allow me to be my over-opinionated self and note that my thoughts on the Perk can be summed up in that I knew it was you because I used it to track you down.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2009, 01:47 PM

BTW, I'm becoming pessimistic about IW providing stat tracking any time soon. They can't even keep their forums running 24/7.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2009, 01:50 PM

Allow me to be my over-opinionated self and note that my thoughts on the Perk can be summed up in that I knew it was you because I used it to track you down.
Which is the #1 reason it's not my main loadout. The only perk in tier #3 I haven't been able to find a use for is Commando, at least not with my style of play/skill.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2009, 01:58 PM

Interesting, interesting. I've noticed I knife people 5x more in this game. It's probably thanks to the new maps style, better skill, and better stealthyness on my part. I definitely noticed when I dumped Commando from load-out, but I adjusted quickly. It's certainly not key unless you want a stealth knifer class.

(Tier 3 isn't completely worthless this time round, but really, it's just Ninja and Last Stand)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2009, 02:03 PM

Is the heartbeat meter that prevalent as to actually use Ninja? I'm waiting for last stand, but even that is usually pointless for me.

I'll get killed by a guy in last stand a dozen times and never get a last stand kill myself (in WaW, haven't unlocked it yet in MW2)...it's really frustrating.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2009, 02:12 PM

No, I don't think it's that prevalent. But the silenced footsteps in Pro might be useful (assuming my opponents use their hearing as much as I do).

I find Last Stand annoying (Half the time I'm picked off from afar so I commit suicide), and the extra time it takes to kill a guy who goes into Last Stand is a waste... ugh).

I'm just saying... Most good players find Scrambler to be a giant "FIND ME" sign. The only level I've ever been bothered by it is Favelas, thanks to the tight grouping of buildings with multiple levels.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2009, 02:19 PM

I alternate between loud volume, therefore listening to footsteps, and light volume at night where I can barely hear the weapons fire. I didn't know that pro silences your own footsteps, looks like I've got a new perk to try out.

As for the scrambler I guess I'm a n00b then, I know that they'll know I'm nearby somewhere but they won't know exactly where I am, hopefully taking their head of of the match for a few seconds, enough for me to get round behind them or someone on my team to pick them off while they're looking for me.

Either way the K/D stats right now speak loud, and they say you are a better CoD player than me, so maybe, just maybe, I'll heed your advice.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2009, 02:22 PM

Are you high enough level to use Ninja? Not being a dick, I just can't check online.

Yeah, I'm curious whether you and Bogues are in slight shock that I'm absolutely destroying this game. 17-4 on the last game last night and picked off both of you at least once.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2009, 03:02 PM

Ninja is standard for my third perk slot.
Cold-Blooded or Stopping Power for slot 2.
Bling or Slight of hand for slot 1.

All Pro.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2009, 03:03 PM

It took me til last night to realize the reason I haven't been able to get Cold-Blooded Pro is because my Ninja class doesn't carry rockets.

Maybe on my second go-around.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2009, 03:30 PM

Yeah its quite different from CoD4 for the add-ons isn't it? Seems to take me ages to get through the grenade launcher stuff - and your k/d ratio goes to pot.

Maybe not yet, but I'm going to be trying my hand at S&D for one of the prestige levels to see how quickly I can accumulate the points.

While I'm enjoying the game alot, I also feel a certain pressure to make sure that my rank is higher than some others on my friends list - sad I know. Of course when you see someone who has passed lots more time online (not someone here) and is in the early 30s, it does make me feel better.

Then I see boy8cookie's score.

Are you playing all sorts of gametypes or do you just rape anything that moves in every gametype?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2009, 03:35 PM

You know what the best improvement in this game has been? No more grenade spamming.

I'm not too worried about being higher than my friends – but I am in a race with myself to get my 1st Prestige. After that i think I'll calm down some.

Hahaha, no. Aside from TDM I'm mediocre.

(Side note: Biggest thing I've noticed this week is lots of Last Stand and Aerial vehicles get shot down much more often)

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Then I see boy8cookie's score.

Are you playing all sorts of gametypes or do you just rape anything that moves in every gametype?
What's wrong with my score? I play mostly TDM, but I don't mind the objective based games at all, they can be fun, they have an adverse effect on the K/D ratio, though.

You know what the best improvement in this game has been? No more grenade spamming. ... (Side note: Biggest thing I've noticed this week is lots of Last Stand and Aerial vehicles get shot down much more often)
Grenades have definitely seen a big improvement, less "spammy" for sure. As for your side note, I feel the helicopters (especially the pave low) are far too "squishy." One rocket shouldn't counter 9 kills in a row.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
What's wrong with my score? I play mostly TDM, but I don't mind the objective based games at all, they can be fun, they have an adverse effect on the K/D ratio, though.
NOTHING !!! For the time that you've played, you're very highly ranked - at least on my limited friends list.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2009, 03:54 PM

As for your side note, I feel the helicopters (especially the pave low) are far too "squishy." One rocket shouldn't counter 9 kills in a row.
I can only speak from personal experience, but in personal practice, its not been that easy. I'm averaging a death per try, thanks to rather vigilant copters and the stinger not being a 100% guaranteed hit even with its lock-on. With that kind of perspective, its hard to argue its unfair. (Another Sidenote: The UAVs are amazingly easy to shoot down. Without stopping power my FAMAS took like 5 bursts to bring one down. FYI)

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2009, 04:39 PM

I can only speak from personal experience, but in personal practice, its not been that easy. I'm averaging a death per try, thanks to rather vigilant copters and the stinger not being a 100% guaranteed hit even with its lock-on. With that kind of perspective, its hard to argue its unfair. (Another Sidenote: The UAVs are amazingly easy to shoot down. Without stopping power my FAMAS took like 5 bursts to bring one down. FYI)
I dunno, too often does my chopper get shot down before it does any shooting at all.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2009, 04:43 PM

I'd definitely say the easy majority of my aerial perks have not survived the duration the past few days. But what's a 'fair' percentage?

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2009, 05:30 PM

Percentage in terms of duration? Even when they last 100% of the time, choppers & ac-130s don't feel too powerful (strong for sure, but not too strong). Their power is countered by taking cover.

Tuesday night when we played, we faced an early ac-130 and I don't think any of us died to it, not because we shot it down - it lasted its full duration, but we used the cover provided by the level to avoid getting raped. It just seems too easy to counter the kill streaks, considering they require 7+ kills in a row.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2009, 05:41 PM

Percentage in terms of duration? Even when they last 100% of the time, choppers & ac-130s don't feel too powerful (strong for sure, but not too strong). Their power is countered by taking cover.
Percentage in terms of how many should get shot down.

Tuesday night when we played, we faced an early ac-130 and I don't think any of us died to it, not because we shot it down - it lasted its full duration, but we used the cover provided by the level to avoid getting raped. It just seems too easy to counter the kill streaks, considering they require 7+ kills in a row.
Part of it is the map. The AC-130 is worthless on Karachi. Conversely, last night I got a Harrier on Wasteland; 7 kills, and I didn't even get anyone on the bomb run.

Really, what killstreak is worth anything on a map with plenty of cover (EMP? Sentry? Counter UAV? Only one of those if offense.)? That's another issue.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2009, 07:43 PM

I dunno, it's whatever.

Are there any planned meet-ups for this weekend?

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2009, 09:21 PM

Yeah, I'm curious whether you and Bogues are in slight shock that I'm absolutely destroying this game. 17-4 on the last game last night and picked off both of you at least once.
Not as shocked as you might think, the few times i played COD4 with you, you played well but now that you have some serious time in, it is impressive. I feel like i'm playing like my usual self... i go 18 - 6 one game and 14 - 22 the next and even a 5 - 15 thrown in. I don't know what it is but i could care less about my K/D, really all i care about is the kills

Side Note: 4 Achievements left, i knew i wouldn't catch KCros

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2009, 09:28 PM

Since no one takes a hint from Bungie

whats everyones stats screen looking like?

Campaign - 13hr 55min - 100% Completion

Special Ops - 3hr 2min - 43% Completion - 30/69 Stars

Multiplayer - 7hr 21min - 30% Completion

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2009, 10:12 PM

Got really lucky, today and got a killstreak of 5 or more. I usually die before I get my third kill. Got to try out the predator missile.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Rumor
Nov 20, 2009, 01:00 AM

Sometime in the last few hours, KCrosbie finished MW2.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2009, 05:09 AM

Really, what killstreak is worth anything on a map with plenty of cover (EMP? Sentry? Counter UAV? Only one of those if offense.)? That's another issue.
I'm tempted to say it depends on the gametype. Sentry guns are great for HQ or S&D or Domination - IMHO. TDM is maybe too dynamic. I agree that the built up maps are sh1te for airborne stuff. On Skidrow I've used the Predator loads and hardly ever got kills. Open maps like Afghan, Wasteland are great for airborne stuff.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2009, 11:56 AM

Are there any planned meet-ups for this weekend?
Nothing official, though it seems likely most of us will still be cracking out on this game.

I'm tempted to say it depends on the gametype. Sentry guns are great for HQ or S&D or Domination - IMHO. TDM is maybe too dynamic. I agree that the built up maps are sh1te for airborne stuff. On Skidrow I've used the Predator loads and hardly ever got kills. Open maps like Afghan, Wasteland are great for airborne stuff.
The funny thing about Sentry Guns is if you catch someone moving one and kill the, it automatically sets the gun down, where it will then proceed to light you up (assuming you weren't lucky and picking the guy off from the side).

---

This may be a long one

• My best four games yesterday: 17-1, 17-0, 14-1, 15-1 (Fatty saw the latter two). I am now deathly afraid that this is beginners luck thanks to people unfamiliar with the game or just too low level. Or maybe this is what happens when I get good connections?

• I'm starting to grow attached to my stealth class. Even without a silencer its quite useful.

• Is it me or are headshots disturbingly easy to get in this game? It's gone so far that I headshotted several people behind cover yesterday, and there's no way that's skill. I wonder if this is related to the fact that accuracy in this game is also easier (I'm sitting 18% (!) when I was struggling to stay in the mid 12s in 4)

• Yes, boycookie, it's impossible to keep anything in the air now. Last night proved that.

• The discrepancy between score and XP is weird.

• By the end of this weekend the amount of playing time I have in MW2 multi will be close to what I put into CoD4, only instead of half a summer it'll have taken me two weeks.

• It looks like these upper levels are going to take a lot longer to blow through than previously anticipated. Prestige is still a good way off.

• Commando extends your Riot Shield's melee range too.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2009, 12:31 PM

The funny thing about Sentry Guns is if you catch someone moving one and kill the, it automatically sets the gun down, where it will then proceed to light you up (assuming you weren't lucky and picking the guy off from the side).
Had it happen in an HQ match, the guy dies just as he puts the sentry next to 'our' HQ - a nice move it was as well. I tried crawling on my belly to kill it but was mowed down.

---

This may be a long one
No better way to spend the last few mins of a Friday before going home, than reading Dakar's CoD:MW2 analyses.

• My best four games yesterday: 17-1, 17-0, 14-1, 15-1 (Fatty saw the latter two). I am now deathly afraid that this is beginners luck thanks to people unfamiliar with the game or just too low level. Or maybe this is what happens when I get good connections?
What gametype? You're not a runner and gunner are you?

----------------

I shall be on tonight, and I'll try to stay up late to get a match or two with you guys.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2009, 02:11 PM

What gametype? You're not a runner and gunner are you?
TDM. Always.

I'm not a run n' gunner. Quite the opposite. And I fully admit that once I see an amazing game in the making, I go defensive (The 17-0 game was a killstreak record. I could have tried to up it at the end, but instead I kept my spot and collected the flawless victory).

I think the underpass game (15-1) was a perfect example of my gameplay at its best. The teams pretty much kept to their sides of the map the entire game. I chose to held down a certain area that wasn't really seeing heavy action too often. For most of the game I traveled back and forth across the area, picking off people looking for me, people attempting to flank my team mates that were further up the map, and later venturing forth a little more boldly, picking off those engaged in firefights with friendlies from the side. In some respects I do a yeoman's work – I watch your back, because I hate to die with a knife in mine (My accolades confirm this). In certain games this will reward me with plenty of kills. In others its boring as hell or it doesn't work because it requires a competent team (I fully admit I am nothing without a good team).

I shall be on tonight, and I'll try to stay up late to get a match or two with you guys.
It's unlikely you'll see me. I couldn't fall asleep last night, so I'll be grabbing a nap so I'm in for the long haul later. I did notice fatty was still playing at 3.30 am, no doubt trying to catch up.

Side notes: I'm changing up my "main" class. Dropping Hardline and adding Danger Close. Dropping the RDS from my FAMAS for the Grenade Launcher (To finish that challenge and see how it plays out).

My new goal for this weekend (since I won't make Prestige) this emblem:

Achieve a kill streak of 10 while having no kill streak awards equipped.
I plan on trying this with friends (I'm also curious if stealing someone's killstreak negates it)

Edit: Has anyone seen an enemy tac insertion yet? My challenges tell me I've killed like 8+ people that spawned from one, but the few I've ever spotted were friendly.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2009, 03:19 PM

OK, since you noted your scores, I thought that I'd do the same.

Hopefully this isn't the way things will go over this weekend.

13-6
10-10
6-6
2-2
12-29

To say I'm disgusted is an understatement. Plus Dakar is ranked higher than me - the shame, being beaten by a Halo boy

BTW, my Cold Blooded that I mentioned before isn't pro. So I'm going to change all my slots to have the Stinger and scavenger until I get it.

So, missions for the weekend : get pro for Cold Blooded and get past 50 in rank.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2009, 03:53 PM

Alright so... RPD with Grip is my new love. Also, I need to figure out how to kill people with the ACOG scope on the barret, because I really want the thermal scope. Bah.

Forum Links
Forum Rules