Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > From OS X to OS 9 - What an upgrade!

From OS X to OS 9 - What an upgrade!
ChasingApple
Senior User
Sep 29, 2006, 09:26 PM

Well here I am, back in OS 9 after fighting and fighting with slowness in OS X Panther. I know there are a lot of things which are much better inside of OS X, but honestly I have way too many computers here in my house to really care anymore for having the latest on my Clamshell iBook, which is what I’m writing this on right now. Now I do have much faster computers in the house, but the clamshell I can rest on my lap and sit anywhere while getting around 6 hours of battery life. With my old clamshell 466mhz I could get away running Panther a little better, but not so here on the 366mhz. Things are just a little slower then I care to deal with, and honestly for what I love to do with my clamshell there is just no reason to deal with slowness.

So back to using OS 9, Appleworks 6 and enjoying my iBook being about three times as fast! OS 9 boots about 2-3 times faster, apps launch about 4 times faster, and shutting down nothing can compare, it takes 1 second to shut down! Mainly I use my clamshell for writing for my blog, posting around at a few forums I chat on, instant message, light web browsing, and MP3 stuff. It also makes a pretty neat mobile video player, although I cannot watch a DVD on here for lack of a DVD drive, I can watch converted to quicktime videos.

Honestly I am glad I am back to OS 9, purely for the speed of the UI itself. No fancy OpenGL 3D effects, no bloat running in the background, nothing sucking up all my memory! As a matter of fact right now I am using a whopping 48MB of memory to run OS 9 and run Appleworks! Panther needs 256MB to run well with an app or two, Tiger needs about 512MB to run as well with an app or two, but OS 9 on a 6 year old clamshell can run the OS, about 10-20 apps, and still have plenty of memory to whip around. How important has eye-candy become on the modern OS? I ask that because that is where most of the memory is being used, fancy window borders, fancy graphical effects, and fancy font rendering with anti-aliasing. Modern computers need more memory on their graphics cards now then I need on this clamshell to run my entire OS and word processor! The good thing is the newer computers are more then capable to run all that, because the hardware speeds have reached sky high now, especially with Intel and AMD churning out Dual Core CPU’s. Myself I have an Intel Core 2 Duo equipped Alienware PC for all my high end needs, and it is extremely fast. But battery life suffers on it, and is not even close to the work I can get done on my clamshell.

Anyway, I thought I would just touch base and perhaps recommend some apps to all of you that might be handy if you do plan to run OS 9 on your older mac. I have compiled a list of must have software to run in today's world.

Web browser: Mozilla 1.3.1 (Wamcom build) / Internet Explorer 5.1.6
E-mail: Outlook Express
Instant Messaging: AIM official release 4.7
Word Processing: Appleworks 6.2.8 / iText 3.1.6
Network file sharing: Built in Network Browser
MP3 playback / iPod: Audion 3
Unpacking / Unzipping: Stuffit Standard 7.0.3

And of course update yourself to OS 9.2.2 if your system isn’t too old. Apply all the last updates through the software updater built into OS 9, then get your Quicktime updated through quicktime itself as it has its own built in updater. That should just about get you up and running and quite productive. I think if you have an OS 9 capable machine you should give it a try after all this time, you might be surprised at how fast you forgot OS 9 is.

Anyway, cheers and happy computing!
iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2006, 01:02 AM

man, i think you're finally on the right track. on my clamshell i have 10.3.9 and 9.2.2. i seem to spend a couple of weeks in one and then a couple of weeks in the other. don't really have to decide which i like the best, just like having a dual boot machine. also like you mine is not a serious work horse. a couple more apps i could recommend are:
for serious time wasting - macsolitaire.
for slideshows - mike's thumbnailer.
both are free.
not really interested myself, but there's a lot of cheap classic os9 games on ebay.
i like some of the features in x, but for speed with a g3 you gotta stay with 9. besides there's something i like about using an antiquated os on an antique laptop. (sometimes)
anybody else know of any cool os9 apps? i'll try out audion 3 tomorrow.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2006, 01:15 AM

just thought i'd add that when i read your post i was sitting in my girlfriend's living room with a clamshell on my lap running os9.2.2.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 30, 2006, 02:26 AM

Awesome gooser! (actually laughing here). I think this might be a good thread to help the OS 9.2.2 community out. Let's keep a list of the best and latest softwares that can be run in OS 9, especially helpful and as modern as possible, or maybe even a few golden oldie apps that are still pimpin to this day with none of the frills but all of the productivity one would want.

I can add one more to the web browsers, iCab. While not the prettiest browser in the world it is the only one that is still being updated for OS 9. They are on version 3.0.3 as of this writing and while it is a very well done browser, it is very slow and a little flakey. It does render Java quite well and Flash is passible. I still think Mozilla 1.3.1 is much better though.

One question I have and I hope someone out there has the answer. What is the best way to capture a screenshot in OS 9? I know the Apple + Shift + 3 thing works, but it makes some weird simpletext file that no one can see. Perhaps a way of converting said file to a JPG? Or is there another app I can install to get this basic functionality?

Cheers.
iMac G4 / Macbook

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 30, 2006, 02:57 AM

Ok I found an app that not only answers my question about screen capturing, but is also one neat image editor!

Goldberg 2.5

A must app!
iMac G4 / Macbook

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 30, 2006, 03:44 PM

I would like to add another must have app to the OS 9.2.2 lineup.

FTP: Interarchy 6.3 is a must have FTP browser!

I took a pic with Apple + Shift + 3 and then converted it to a jpg with Goldberg, then using Interarchy uploaded to my FTP with ease. I am having fun discovering all the great applications I missed back in the day and finding out just how much work I can get done with OS 9!!! Here is the snapshot. I was having a little fun with the built in themes in OS 9 as well, here is a fun one.

iMac G4 / Macbook

techtrucker
Senior User
Sep 30, 2006, 04:02 PM

Boy that screenshot brings back some memories! I may have to dig out my Performa 6400 and boot it up!

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2006, 12:52 AM

Haha you guys have fun reliving the OS 9 days! . Man, I wish my MacBook could run OS 9... *sigh*
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2006, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dillon-K
Haha you guys have fun reliving the OS 9 days! . Man, I wish my MacBook could run OS 9... *sigh*
none of us will ever find the "perfect" computer that can do everything and as long as we realize that we will never be disappointed.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Oct 2, 2006, 01:46 AM

I love OS 9 but I couldn't do my new online comic on it. Well maybe I could if I had the right software but for now I do it all in OS X on my iMac. The larger 17" screen helps with that as well.

Cherry Chan Comic
iMac G4 / Macbook

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dillon-K
Ever try SheepShaver? It's far from perfect, but runs 9.0.4 decently well on my MacBook. I'd say it runs about on par with a 200 MHz CPU. It's too bad that it doesn't support up through 9.2.2 though.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

webb3201
Senior User
Oct 2, 2006, 02:53 PM

for me my favorite moment in my Mac timeline was running 9.22 on my Pismo Powerbook. That is the period I look at when thinking of the good old days. I just may have to grab a Titanium machine again and see how long I could go OS9 only.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2006, 03:47 PM

You are making me rethink how I should be using my old Pismo, which I am considering retiring now that a MacBook Pro is on its way to my home. I sit in front of the TV and surf the net, send emails, and update websites using a text editor. If I switched back to OS9, the machine would really fly (400MHz Pismo, not even a G4).

Plus, I get 8 hours of life running two batteries!

The key to using an old OS successfully, is to run old software from about the same year. When you start using newer software, the hardware requirements go up and the performance goes down. I can't watch you-tube on my Pismo in OSX. I wonder if it would work with OS9?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Oct 2, 2006, 04:30 PM

Let me give you-tube a tryreal fast and I will let you know!
iMac G4 / Macbook

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Oct 2, 2006, 05:02 PM

Sorry it took me longer then expected. I had to find a working download link for the Flash Player ver 7. After installing it to Mozilla 1.3.1 and IE 5.1.6 I can verify it works perfectly. No skipped frames or anything either!

Who knew, OS 9 and youtube happy together
iMac G4 / Macbook

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2006, 05:14 PM

Shouldn't Parallel also make a virtual machine to run OS 9 ?!?!

Just askin'....

patrix
Oct 2, 2006, 05:38 PM

Parallels writes a virtual machine (not emulator!) for the x86 (Intel) architecture, not PowerPC. OS 9 is PPC only.

If you're interested in running OS 9 on your intel mac though, you can always use the latest universal SheepShaver binary, with an OS 8.5 ROM and any 8.5-9.1 MacOS... SheepShaver emulates a PPC chip and computer.

jaydon34
Senior User
Oct 2, 2006, 07:29 PM

as much as I hated Os 9. I loved the user interface. I wish os x had a classic UI sort of like windows xp has so that it looks like windows 98
( Last edited by jaydon34; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:46 PM. )
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2006, 11:14 PM

I'm all over running 9 on my 366 Mhz graphite clammy, but I can't get it to hook up with my wi-fi because I've secured it with WPA. I get prompted for my password, and when I put it in, it says it's the wrong password.

Any ideas?

By the way, it is a trip to be back in 9. Man, to think I used that OS every day for so long . . . Wow.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2006, 11:26 PM

Answered my own question: OS 9 can't handle WPA.

Sigh.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2006, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by ChasingApple
Sorry it took me longer then expected. I had to find a working download link for the Flash Player ver 7. After installing it to Mozilla 1.3.1 and IE 5.1.6 I can verify it works perfectly. No skipped frames or anything either!

Who knew, OS 9 and youtube happy together
ok. i give up. where did you find this working download? thanks.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2006, 10:17 AM

iCab

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Oct 3, 2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by gooser
ok. i give up. where did you find this working download? thanks.
Macromedia Flash Player 7.0.19 - MacUpdate

There ya go
iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2006, 11:41 AM

gol darn it works, thanks dude.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Oct 3, 2006, 12:28 PM

Your welcome. Enjoy your OS 9!
iMac G4 / Macbook

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2006, 12:40 PM

ah yes, this brings back memories.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2006, 12:47 PM

This thread brings back memories... I'll have to boot up the old 8100.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2006, 02:37 PM

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Oct 3, 2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp
HELLO NURSE!
iMac G4 / Macbook

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2006, 04:51 PM

You could try running Ubuntu Linux on your old clamshell.

I hae an indigo 366mhz G3 & was also tired of os X on it speed & eating up my screen real-estate.

I installed Ubuntu & ran the XFCE desktop -with all fonts set to size 8.

It was snappy & great for browsing. Programs you may find useful if you decide to try this out are

firefox - web surfing
Thunderbird - email client (evolution is also good - similar to M$ Outlook)
Gimp - phot editor not unlike adobe photoshop
xchat - irc chat client
gaim - mutli-prtocal messenging - AIM / MSN / Yahoo
Abiword - wordprocessoer - will read & save as MS .doc if needed
Gnumeric - spreadsheet

Not having wireless internet I just can't live with teh 800x600 display so I am setting my old clamshell up as a LAMP server to a blog & photo gallery (Wordpress & Gallery2)
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2006, 04:59 PM

Oh some links would be useful I suppose:

XFCE - the window manager / GUI
Xfce - Desktop Environment
Flash demos at the bottom of the screenshot page

Ubuntu Linux & Support forums
Welcome - Ubuntu: Linux for human beings & Macintosh/Apple/PPC/Intel Users - Ubuntu Forums

Applications are even easier to install than drag & drop using synaptic
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Oct 3, 2006, 06:26 PM

I cannot install anything other then a Mac OS on mine, it would seem the CD-Rom has half given up the ghost and will not stay working long enough to finish an install of anything. I use firewire disk mode to install the Mac OS's

Believe me Ubuntu would be on there if I could.
iMac G4 / Macbook

tozzo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 10:37 AM

I missed the old OS too so I whipped out my MACINTOSH PLUS and placed it in a nice comfy spot. I wanted a mac that I could use to do my writing, and this was a perfect choice. A while back I upgraded it so it could run System 7.5.5.... I have Appleworks on it and some old 700K floppys..... I got a USB floppy drive for my real MAC and I'm good to go.... Talk about shutdown times! 4MB of ram went a long way in 1990.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2006, 11:10 AM

I missed the old OS too so I whipped out my MACINTOSH PLUS and placed it in a nice comfy spot.
No nasty internet viruses either!

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2006, 04:17 PM

as much as i like os9 i wondered why i couldn't load up this page. that big picture is clearly the culprit.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Oct 4, 2006, 06:49 PM

Yeah, can you downsize that huge image a little for us please? TY in advance
iMac G4 / Macbook

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2006, 03:37 PM

Well, as much as I love playing with OS 9 and testing different OS's on my little Clammy, I might just have to part with it. At first it was going to be my main laptop, and when I wasn't using it I would be on my iMac G4. But then I found a REALLY good deal on a Core 2 Duo powered laptop from Alienware for $999, it was like getting a more powerful Macbook Pro for half he price, I COULD NOT pass that up, even with Windows / Linux as my only OS choices.

So I got the Alienware and honestly it is the fastest computer I have ever owned, and I love it. But now I hardly use the little BEAUTIFUL clamshell at all. It just sits there wanting me to boot him up and do a little light work / surfing. Honestly I am now spoiled by my new Core 2 Duo equipped laptop that working on my clammy is just hard to do.

I might throw it up for sale, use Pay-Pal or something and ship it out to someone that wants an extremely cared for clamshell indigo. Keep in mind the CD-Rom works but is flakey, not quite sure if it just needs a cleaning or something, but it will allow for some lite use before it just stops reading. Not sure at all why it's doing that, but a quick look on ebay showed me a new drive would cost next to nothing.

So the question is, anyone interested in a mint condition G3 366mhz DV Clamshell Indigo? PM me and we can talk.
iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2006, 05:38 PM

Well, as much as I love playing with OS 9 and testing different OS's on my little Clammy, I might just have to part with it. At first it was going to be my main laptop, and when I wasn't using it I would be on my iMac G4. But then I found a REALLY good deal on a Core 2 Duo powered laptop from Alienware for $999, it was like getting a more powerful Macbook Pro for half he price, I COULD NOT pass that up, even with Windows / Linux as my only OS choices.

So I got the Alienware and honestly it is the fastest computer I have ever owned, and I love it. But now I hardly use the little BEAUTIFUL clamshell at all. It just sits there wanting me to boot him up and do a little light work / surfing. Honestly I am now spoiled by my new Core 2 Duo equipped laptop that working on my clammy is just hard to do.

I might throw it up for sale, use Pay-Pal or something and ship it out to someone that wants an extremely cared for clamshell indigo. Keep in mind the CD-Rom works but is flakey, not quite sure if it just needs a cleaning or something, but it will allow for some lite use before it just stops reading. Not sure at all why it's doing that, but a quick look on ebay showed me a new drive would cost next to nothing.

So the question is, anyone interested in a mint condition G3 366mhz DV Clamshell Indigo? PM me and we can talk.
i knew you were going to do this, i just wondered when. you weren't quite satisfied with the last one and now you're not quite satisfied with this one. i have a novel idea. why don't you forget about what little money you can get for this thing and give it to elli? if not now maybe in a year or two. there's a lot of os9 educational games out there.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2006, 06:23 PM

I would give it to elli, but honesly she likes the iMac G4 way better. And all of her educational programs are in OS X and would not run very well at all on this thing. I think I would rather find a good home for it with someone who will actually use it. For school papers and normal word processor / web surfing / email / chatting etc use it is perfect. It is a durable machine and of course it is in perfect condition. Even the battery holds 5-6 hours of life per charge! (it is new).

If I cant find a buyer no worries, I can always keep it.
iMac G4 / Macbook

ballistik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2007, 11:53 PM

Hey there, chasingapples! I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading your articles/clamshell writing that you have on the web... Loved every bit of it. I bought a clamshell a few weeks back and am loving it. Is yours still for sale? I'm looking to buying another one for a friend who wants one pretty badly.

Thanks

-b-

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Feb 8, 2007, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by ballistik View Post
Hey there, chasingapples! I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading your articles/clamshell writing that you have on the web... Loved every bit of it. I bought a clamshell a few weeks back and am loving it. Is yours still for sale? I'm looking to buying another one for a friend who wants one pretty badly.

Thanks

-b-
I made the mistake of taking it to work today and a co-worker offered me cash on the spot for it, I thought about it for a little bit and decided to go ahead and bring her into the Macintosh world. If that had not happened I would be more then happy to sell it to you. You can get them pretty cheap off of Ebay so head on over there and take a look. A simple search for Clamshell iBook will bring up many great deals.

I will continue to write about them in the future, I really don't need one here to comment on them or write up experiences with them, as I have had them for years! Anyway, glad your here in the Clamshell world and thanks for taking the time to read my articles! I am glad you enjoyed them!

Patrick
iMac G4 / Macbook

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2007, 05:02 PM

I like the retro side of things too, I just got my original Newton Messagepad working again.

But for real daily use, I can't possibly imagine going back to OS 9. I personally don't think it's any faster in reality, just perceptively. I've been using a Mac daily since 1989, and OS X variants are far more stable and consistent in their performance in my experience. They also have introduced a lot of real time saving (and cool) features that I use constantly (Expose, Spotlight and Dashboard really are great).

On an old machine, yeah it's cool to keep to what ran best on it. But a new machine with OS X really is the best.

Forum Links
Forum Rules