Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple Studio Display (Graphite DVI model)-adapter compatibility?

Apple Studio Display (Graphite DVI model)-adapter compatibility?
Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2009, 03:11 PM

I have been trying to get rid of an Apple Studio Display that I got off of eBay, since I don't have an adapter.

Now I am thinking-could you use a PowerBook G3/iBook Clamshell power adapter with this display? Apple really shot themeselves in the foot by making a monitor with an odd power connector.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2009, 03:16 PM

No, you can't. What modal studio display is it?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Northeastern292  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2009, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
No, you can't. What modal studio display is it?
It's revision C (model M7612).

So I guess I'm stuck with a lemon?
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2009, 03:45 PM

That display doesn't have a power connector, it only has one plug. You'd need to buy an ADC to DVI adaptor, they aren't cheap... usually around $100...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M8661LL/B
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Northeastern292  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2009, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
That display doesn't have a power connector, it only has one plug. You'd need to buy an ADC to DVI adaptor, they aren't cheap... usually around $100...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M8661LL/B
This is a studio display pre-ADC, it's the one tailored to the Sawtooth G4, not the Mystic (Gigabit Ethernet) plus G4's.
The Mac Collection:

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Northeastern292 View Post
This is a studio display pre-ADC, it's the one tailored to the Sawtooth G4, not the Mystic (Gigabit Ethernet) plus G4's.
Ah yeah, I see that...

You should probably just junk it then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules