Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Argh! Think DVD drive is dead... advice?

Argh! Think DVD drive is dead... advice?
chrikenn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2009, 03:52 PM

Last week my hard drive died, so today I was trying to install a new one. I was having serious problems getting OSX to boot from the install CD. I would put the CD in, it would sputter up a few times, then it would just get ejected. After 3 or 4 tries, the CD finally booted the computer, and I installed OSX (10.4.1 -- from the original disc that came with my MacBook in 2006). Now I'm actually in OSX booted from my hard drive installation, but whenever I put a CD into the drive, it just sputters around and eventually ejects the CD. So far I've tried 3: My OSX 10.5 upgrade CD, and both install discs from my 10.4 installation. It does the same thing with all of them.

I'm thinking something must be wrong with the DVD drive. I'm not sure why it worked once to install OSX, after failing several times first, and now failing to read discs again, though. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2009, 04:53 PM

What laptop do you have? How old is it? Any trouble before? Still under Applecare?

Establish a plain vanilla second admin user. Login as that user--does the optical drive work? Have you reset the PRAM/SMU?

Post details about your model, you'll get more advice...

If you don't want to stick any money into it, and it's not under Applecare, I'd put together an external firewire/usb case and Pioneer drive.

chrikenn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2009, 05:40 PM

Oh, sorry for leaving out so much info. I've got a white plastic Macbook (from August of 2006). Never had trouble with the DVD drive before, but I almost never use it.

Although I haven't created a second user to login with, my OSX Leopard DVD isn't read either when I'm in the OS or when I'm trying to boot from it. It just sputters around for a minute or two and then gets automatically ejected.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2009, 03:35 AM

I've had similar problems with my MBP SuperDrive. I managed to fix them by using one of those CD cleaners (the ones with small brushes on). Cost a couple of pounds from Amazon. Definately worth a try! My drive now reads every disk I put
In.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2009, 03:43 AM

Unfortunately you're just another victim of these slim slot-loader drives. They such, plain and simple. If you don;t have AC to cover the replacement cost I suggets you get one of these cheap external USB burners. They're a lot cheaper and faster than any slot-loader replacement. Unless of course you absolutely need an optical on the road.

Here's a 20x DVD burner (USB) for $40.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2009, 10:04 AM

Is the Leopard DVD the correct model/OS for your laptop? In other words, is it universal or for some other Mac?

And I still think you should try establishing a second admin user, just for giggles. It's a useful troubleshooting tool...

If you go to ifixit.com, you'll find guides to taking the laptop apart, as well as info on replacement internal burner. Although Simon's suggestion is going to be way cheaper and much, much faster!

You didn't buy the extended Applecare, right?

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2009, 09:57 AM

I have that same problem with my VGA PowerBook. When I have the money the DVD burner is getting fixed.

Personally, I hope when Steve Jobs retires from Apple, I hope we see tray-loading Macs again. Slot-loading drives are a freaking nightmare.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

Forum Links
Forum Rules