Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Stattoo

Stattoo
div
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2004, 01:36 PM

Has anyone seen this yet:

http://www.panic.com/stattoo/

If you're in a hurry, you can check out this screenshot.

It looks--from a functionality point of view--very, very similar to Konfabulator. I happen to be a big Panic fan, so I can't wait to give this a try and see how it stacks up against Konfab.
One of the things that makes Konfabulator great is that peeps can write (or mod) their own widgets. I can't seem to find any info on Panic's site that states whether or not their "capsules" can be authored by third parties. The name "capsules" suggests that you can add and remove them from Stattoo, but--IMO--whether or not other people can author their own is the more interesting question.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2004, 01:54 PM

looks nice... but all of this can allready be done (cooler) with konfabulator. And I use Synergy for my music feedback.

Nice... but nothing really new. What panic needs to do is re-work Audion to be a skinnable remote for iTunes, one that can use all of the existing Audion skins. I'd use that.

div  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2004, 01:56 PM

Hmm...after playing around with it for awhile, it seems like it has a big, gaping hole where user configuration should be. AFAIK, you can't change the font face or the font size that the capsules use. To make matters "worse", you also can't change the size of the capsules that are displayed on the desktop and are given very limited control over where they can be placed. The capsules all line up left-to-right, and the only control you have is where they're placed--vertically--on your desktop. So where Konfab allows you to move widgets anywhere on your screen, Stattoo seems to give very limited control as to how each capsule is displayed.

All in all, it's an interesting first version, but I still think there's quite a lot of room for improvement if they want to compete with Konfabulator...if that is their goal.

[edit: fixed misspelling :) ]
( Last edited by div; Apr 29, 2004 at 02:01 PM. )

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2004, 02:38 PM

I tried it. And talk about customization !!! Woah, this app lets you change everything. NOT!!!! I took it off after about 2minutes. It's like ....hmmm blah !? it should be a $5 app or even free. I love the icon though. quite nice. If I find a serial I might consider using it LOL - not by a longshot.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2004, 02:39 PM

If this develops into a Konfab competitor, I'll be happy. The pricetag on this one is 1/3 of that of Konfab at this point, and Konfab's price is the only thing stopping me from using it.
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2004, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
looks nice... but all of this can allready be done (cooler) with konfabulator
an iCal event-viewer hasn't been made for Konfabulator yet (atleast not one that looks decent). It's the only Stattoo-capsule worth using though... for now.

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2004, 02:59 PM

i like it. i just wish i could change the text size.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by brutal:
an iCal event-viewer hasn't been made for Konfabulator yet (atleast not one that looks decent). It's the only Stattoo-capsule worth using though... for now.
here's 3. I think they look decent.

http://www.widgetgallery.com/view.php?widget=35716
http://www.widgetgallery.com/view.php?widget=25887
http://www.widgetgallery.com/view.php?widget=25732

SomeToast
Senior User
Apr 29, 2004, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by olorin15:
The pricetag on this one is 1/3 of that of Konfab at this point, and Konfab's price is the only thing stopping me from using it.
Stattoo = $12.95, Konfabulator = $25.00. That's over half the cost. For the slim functionality offered, it's pretty nutty.

JoE950
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2004, 06:47 PM

it looks like hell.. i dont see the use in either konfab or this.. its just more clutter..

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2004, 07:10 PM

My $0.02 ...

I like it. It's nice and simple with elegant capsules that match.

Despite the emphasis we put on customization, sometimes I think it's best to offer limited options.

-Jason

mac15
Senior User
Apr 29, 2004, 07:13 PM

Out of the box is pretty cool, but theres a few things well alot of thins I'm not a fan of. First off the dock icon is showing, thats something I can't stand! Specially for an app like this and the mail checker needs to have some built in way of checking email without having mail open. I'd rather look down at my dock icon than check this...

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2004, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by mac15:
the mail checker needs to have some built in way of checking email without having mail open.
Hallelujah! Preach on brotha!

Holigen
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 07:53 PM

I dont generally use Konfab or this new thing. I dont like clutter on my desktop that much...

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2004, 08:49 PM

It's a nice application on it's own. In the shadow of Konfabulator, however, it is nothing short of unimpressive.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 09:00 PM

Just a limited konfabulator... I'd pick Konfab over that anyday.
click one

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2004, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by JoE950:
it looks like hell.. i dont see the use in either konfab or this.. its just more clutter..
Tastes vary Joe ...

In general, I like the fact that this is limited - konfab's multitude of widgets makes my head spin ... As for the price tag - anything above $20 makes me uncomfortable, as i'm sure it does many other people. So this fills the void nicely for some of us. I'm still not sure if I'll pay for it and keep using it, but so far I like it. Now if I could get konfab for say $15 with limited capabilities, maybe I'd go for that. I dunno ... So far this seems to work for me - we'll see what I'll think about it after a couple days though.
come at you rapidly

Dace
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 09:42 PM

At least it doesn't hide when you reveal the desktop...Konfab does. I prefer this app, it's neater than Konfab. No Widget folder to worry about. The calender should give you an option to view the whole month. I'll stick with my menubar apps

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2004, 10:02 PM

i have it up and i'm enjoying it. i'm a paid user of konfab but i like the simplicity of this app too.... not sure if i'll buy it(?) i don't think i would use it if it wasn't for the fact i have a 23 so the scale isn't too dominant.
i'm sure this will be like ipulse or something in that the v2 will have a lot of advancements...
it's nice to have options.
peace.
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

Sage
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 11:26 PM

The fact that the widgets have to always be above the Dock is so lame that I quit it, trashed it, and emptied the trash in a manner of seconds. I like the idea of the app itself, but I want to use the empty space around my Dock so that I can see it at all times, not just so it can be covered up by windows. Stupid, stupid.

Anyway, a combination of Apple's menu extras and MenuMeters seems to be working well enough, so I'll just leave it at that.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2004, 11:44 PM

Things I wish it would do:

Canadian weather, not ust USA.
Dockable to Left/Right
Adjustable height.
Adjustable delay before capsules fade after dock icon is clicked.

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2004, 02:55 AM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
Things I wish it would do:

Canadian weather, not ust USA.
Well, I got it to show the local weather here in Norway, so I'm pretty sure it shows Canadian weather aswell.
Get your ICAO-code HERE.

Dace
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2004, 07:16 AM

Well, I got it to show the local weather here in Norway, so I'm pretty sure it shows Canadian weather aswell.
Get your ICAO-code HERE.
I got it to show Montreal, Quebec...but I don't see any settings for displaying celsius instead of farenheit

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2004, 08:05 AM

From the support Page:

Can I get the temperature in Celsius?

Yes! Open System Preferences, click International, click Formats, then choose Metric from the Measurement Units pop-up. Now, relaunch Stattoo. Bingo! With any luck, Celsius!

If it's already set to Metric, try setting it to U.S., then back to Metric. Don't ask us why, but for some reason, this works.
Mac Guru

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2004, 10:01 AM

Get your ICAO-code HERE.
I feel dumb, now.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2004, 10:46 AM

That's true !!!
I would even pay for a working iCal Konfab widget...

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2004, 10:51 AM

These are bad compared to the one in Stattoo...
Too bad because I'll stick with Konfab

Maybe one day someone make a complete working iCal widget for Konfab

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2004, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by mac15:
the mail checker needs to have some built in way of checking email without having mail open.
Why? If you want a widget that shows your messages, then you're going to want to launch Mail anyway to read them. What's the big deal about keeping mail running and hidden? This is OS X after all...

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2004, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
This is OS X after all...
and..?

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 01:09 PM

and..?
I thought this was self evident. There's no reason not to keep apps (particularly ones like Mail) running 24/7.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 01:24 PM

I thought this was self evident. There's no reason not to keep apps (particularly ones like Mail) running 24/7.
Yeah, OS X's memory management is very decent so we shouldn't worry about quitting apps unless that app use an ancient way of borrowing memory (ie: Photoshop)

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2004, 01:35 PM

Someone beat this app with a stick. The lack of customization is painful to my eyes. In fact, this should be moved out of the customization forum, into the software forum.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2004, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
Someone beat this app with a stick. The lack of customization is painful to my eyes. In fact, this should be moved out of the customization forum, into the software forum.
agreed. An app that has absolutely no customization should not be in the "customization" forum.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2004, 10:14 PM

Someone beat Frisbee with a stick. People put a lot of time and effort into making this app. What gives you the right (other than being a teenager ) to bash it like that? If you do not like it, fine, don't use it. No need to be an ass about it.
Other than that, you are right - it does not belong in this forum ...
come at you rapidly

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2004, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by olorin15:
Someone beat Frisbee with a stick. People put a lot of time and effort into making this app. What gives you the right (other than being a teenager ) to bash it like that? If you do not like it, fine, don't use it. No need to be an ass about it.
Other than that, you are right - it does not belong in this forum ...
amen!
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 03:12 AM

Why? If you want a widget that shows your messages, then you're going to want to launch Mail anyway to read them. What's the big deal about keeping mail running and hidden? This is OS X after all...
I would like to see how many unread messages I have without launching mail.
I would also like to see how many apps are running and how many unread messages I have on the login screen.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2004, 09:39 AM

I'm sorry, I was a bit harsh. Just a bit. The coding in the app is great, and I'm aware that a lot of work most likely went into it. However, there are just some obvious features that were left out. I don't know if it's just that I'm using the unregistered version, but you can't position the capsules along either side of the screen, and the capsules are automatically centered. I, for one, like to have my smaller apps in the corners. While I don't use konfabulator, in the past when I've demoed it, all the widgets were in the corners. Not only that, but any old joe could learn to make one. This is what made konfabulator as good as it is, and this is what stattoo needs to work on.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2004, 03:56 PM

I'm sorry, I was a bit harsh. Just a bit. The coding in the app is great, and I'm aware that a lot of work most likely went into it. However, there are just some obvious features that were left out. I don't know if it's just that I'm using the unregistered version, but you can't position the capsules along either side of the screen, and the capsules are automatically centered. I, for one, like to have my smaller apps in the corners. While I don't use konfabulator, in the past when I've demoed it, all the widgets were in the corners. Not only that, but any old joe could learn to make one. This is what made konfabulator as good as it is, and this is what stattoo needs to work on.
Well, I think Statoo has a different philosophy from konfab. It's not intended for separate widgets. It's more of a widget bar. Being able to put it on the side on the screen would be a great option though. And I think their website says they are woking on the "all widgets do not fit on the screen" bug as well. I'm sure it'll evolve and become more usable. It's a great start as far as i'm concerned. Konfab is overkill both in the number of options and in price
come at you rapidly

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
I would like to see how many unread messages I have without launching mail.

I still don't get why someone wouldn't just have Mail running in the background.

I would also like to see how many apps are running and how many unread messages I have on the login screen.
I don't follow; you want to see how many apps are running...at the OS X login screen? That makes no sense.

ambush
Banned
May 2, 2004, 08:32 PM

I still don't get why someone wouldn't just have Mail running in the background.

I don't follow; you want to see how many apps are running...at the OS X login screen? That makes no sense.
It does. It's cool too. WinXP has this feature.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
It does. It's cool too. WinXP has this feature.
But...no user apps are actually running at the login process. Unless you mean from fast user switching?

JLL
Professional Poster
May 3, 2004, 03:39 AM

Unless you mean from fast user switching?
Bingo!
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2004, 09:46 AM

That's not the problem. The problem is that there are quite a few people who don't use Mail at all, but still need a solution like this.

There is no reason to not leave Mail open and hidden, if that's what you use to read your e-mail. If you don't use Mail to read your messages, however, then it becomes more of a problem.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules