Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need help solving a problem, Rage 128 Pro + Cinema Display

Need help solving a problem, Rage 128 Pro + Cinema Display
d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2006, 10:00 PM

I recently sold a 20" Cinema Display (aluminum model with DVI) on eBay to a customer with a PowerMac G4. I don't know which G4 model it is but it has a Rage 128 Pro according to his System Profiler. He says he was able to connect the display to the computer, but all he gets is the Apple icon and nothing else. So the video card must have a DVI port. I'm surprised by this, I thought it was too old to have DVI. It's possible he is confusing DVI with ADC, but in that case he would have to have an ADC to DVI adapter. But I asked him if he needed one and he didn't know.

I guess the big question is, can the Rage 128 Pro even support a 20" Cinema Display? It's an old video card and I wonder if it has the required resolutions.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 10:56 PM

It depends on which G4 he actually has. The first one with ADC was the Gigabit Ethernet, but that was only with a Radeon card, not the Rage128Po, which had only VGA & DVI connectors.

And since the Rage had only 16mb of vram, it most likely will NOT run a 20" Cinema display. And besides, the ADC & DVI connectors are way different, so AFAIK there is no way he could have plugged a DVI display into a ADC connector, without an adapter.

He may just need to zap his pram to get the machine to recognize the new display, or possibly update his video drivers. Depends on what OS he is running too
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2006, 11:51 PM

Does it support the resolution? Sure, it could even support the 23" (max resolution is 1920x1200). But the performance is going to be trash.
( Last edited by mduell; Feb 3, 2006 at 12:31 AM. )

d0ubled0wn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2006, 12:00 AM

Ok, so the Rage does have a DVI port, it just doesn't have the memory to support the display. I'm going to recommend he upgrades his vid card to at least a Radeon 9000. I think that may be the most affordable vid card that supports the display.

Thanks.

lars-man
Feb 3, 2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by bowwowman
It depends on which G4 he actually has. The first one with ADC was the Gigabit Ethernet, but that was only with a Radeon card, not the Rage128Po, which had only VGA & DVI connectors.
That's not correct. I own a Gigabit Ethernet G4 and it came with an ATI Rage 128 Pro which already had VGA+ADC. The Radeon was available as a BTO option at this time. But there have been several versions of the ATI Rage 128. If I remember correct, Apple shipped versions that had only a VGA connector, another version had VGA+DVI and the third one was VGA+ADC. And I believe the earlier versions utilized the ATI Rage 128 instead of the ATI Rage 128 Pro. Very confusing...

Kind regards, Lars

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2006, 05:04 AM

From the Apple store's system requirements for Cinema Dispays:

NVIDIA graphics card or ATI Radeon 7500 or better graphics card and Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later
And they're right. I am a tech at a Mac shop and have had people come in before with the same problem. You really do need to run 10.2.8 or higher and have one of the aforementioned video cards. With a Rage 128 you never get past the gray Apple logo when booting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules