Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Edward Snowden: Hero Or Traitor?

View Poll Results: Is Edward Snowden a hero or a traitor?
Poll Options:
Hero 6 votes (46.15%)
Traitor 3 votes (23.08%)
Undecided 4 votes (30.77%)
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll
Edward Snowden: Hero Or Traitor? (Page 2)
reader50
Administrator
Jun 24, 2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
He has 4 laptops and is in Russia. Was going to Cuba. Anyone think he's still a hero?
I'm not clear on the objection. Does owning 4 laptops indicate ... marital infidelity or something? (he's not married) Also, he has to avoid passing through countries that will rubber-stamp extradition to the US, and there are no direct flights from Russia to Ecuador. Hence a transfer in Cuba.

And I still think he is a hero. He informed the people he really works for (us) that our government is spying on us, ignoring our rights to privacy, anonymity, and dignity. This opinion is not based on which airports he passes through, how many laptops he owns, or what color his hair is.
( Last edited by reader50; Jun 24, 2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: add quote from prev page)

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2013, 03:52 PM

I'm confused as well.

If his intent is to commit espionage for HK, Russia, Cuba, and/or Ecuador, he doesn't need to physically go to those places.

This is the 21st century. You can phone those places now.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2013, 02:40 PM

Edward Snowden Says He Sought Booz Allen Hamilton Job To Gather NSA Surveillance Evidence

Don't know if this is true or not, since it's coming from a Chinese newspaper. That said, if he deliberately took a highly classified job with the NSA to specifically use his access to distribute the data....
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2013, 04:48 PM

That's worse than a Chinese newspaper. It's HuffPo.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2013, 07:53 PM

Hero/traitor is too extreme in either direction.

Maybe: Person of interest that exposed yet another embarrassing fact about our government being out of control.

In doing so, his actions probably skirt the line either way, heroic in some ways, approaching traitorous in others.

Many more just like him (at ALL levels of government straight up to the top) also know about stuff going on that would infuriate the public, but are content to sit tight, keep their mouths shut, and collect a paycheck. But then again, it's difficult to take on goliath, especially when the very people that will feign outrage at whatever you know insist on over-empowering goliath in the first place.

A much more complicated paradigm than hero/traiter.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2013, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
That's worse than a Chinese newspaper. It's HuffPo.
Yup. The Left's answer to Faux News.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I'm not clear on the objection. Does owning 4 laptops indicate ... marital infidelity or something? (he's not married) Also, he has to avoid passing through countries that will rubber-stamp extradition to the US, and there are no direct flights from Russia to Ecuador. Hence a transfer in Cuba.

And I still think he is a hero. He informed the people he really works for (us) that our government is spying on us, ignoring our rights to privacy, anonymity, and dignity. This opinion is not based on which airports he passes through, how many laptops he owns, or what color his hair is.
DUH...we already knew that our Gov't was listening to us years ago. Not news. He was exposing details, against his oath to keep this secret. Now the stuff he took can be examined by our enemies. Now what?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2013, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Yup. The Left's answer to Faux News.
Heaven forbid something is reported that doesn't follow Presidents Stupids narrative.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2013, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Heaven forbid something is reported that doesn't follow Presidents Stupids narrative.
I agree, that's why I don't read the HuffPo, for news I usually watch a local affiliate or the BBC.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2013, 03:14 PM

I rarely read huffpo for anything beyond gossipy celebrity shit, but I thought this article was a little interesting.

And the statement isn't from huffpo - it's from Snowden to a Chinese newspaper.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
And the statement isn't from huffpo - it's from Snowden to a Chinese newspaper.
If you ever feel something in HuffPo has value, track down the source they stole the story from, and give the link juice to actual journalists.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2013, 05:25 PM

I'm surprised it took me this long to realize there's joke material in Snowden being a mole and having lots of moles.

Look, I'm not saying it's good joke material.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2013, 05:29 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2013, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I agree, that's why I don't read the HuffPo, for news I usually watch a local affiliate or the BBC.
For me, as I've complained about before, I don't care that much about the lefty boosterism. I can filter that in my head. It's how her outfit is scummy in every other sense too.

She's scummy for not paying her "writers".

Her "writers" are scummy for being thieves.

The incessant spamming of every social network.

I can handle one or two of those things, but with all three plus boosterism, I'd rather hit myself in the head with a mallet.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2013, 01:34 AM

Snowden SpyTipâ„¢

Stop a cellphone from acting as an impromptu bug by putting it in the fridge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules