Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Idea for Expos�

Idea for Expos�
TC
Senior User
Mar 25, 2004, 05:58 AM

I really like Expos� but I find that the current application F10 operation is much more useful than the all applications F9 version. This is just for me since normally I have so many Apps + Windows open that they become too small to pick anything out with F9.

So I normally use F10 and then TAB through all the open applications.
I have even set my scroll button up to act like an F10.
All I would need to make Expos� a hell of a lot nicer is the ability to use the scroll wheel to TAB through the applications. This would mean I wouldn't need to touch the keyboard + with a scroll wheel it is much easier to go back a step if you go past the App you where interested in.

Apple has added scroll wheel support to some elements of Expos� / Application Switcher. If you hit F10 and then press CMD + TAB the application switcher comes up. You can then use the scroll wheel to select a particular App.

Otherwise does anyone know anyway to set a scroll mouse up to do this? Scroll up would have to be TAB and scroll down would be SHIFT + TAB. Would something like USB overdrive allow you to configure your mouse to do this just for Expos�, is it seen as the Dock application?

*** WARNING: Pedantry Ahead ***
( Last edited by TC; Apr 6, 2004 at 08:05 AM. )
Nothing to see, move along.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2004, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by TC:

Apple has added scroll wheel support to some elements of Expos� / Application Switcher. If you hit F10 and then press CMD + TAB the application switcher comes up. You can then use the scroll wheel to select a particular App.
Yes, I found that holding down the scroll wheel (third button I think, ) on my m$ wireless optical mouse (ice white model), the App Switcher appears, so I only need to move the scroll wheel for switch apps.

murk
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2004, 10:25 AM

I want the ability to have a pop-up menu listing all Expos� commands appear when I click the scroll wheel button of my mouse. Drag and release to select between the all windows, application's windows, and desktop views. The right button should send a tab when clicked only if Expos� is active. I've tried many third party solutions to try to put this together, but none have worked well. The closest I've came with the pop-up menu is setting up a YouControl's Hot Key Menu to fire Expos� AppleScripts. The problem with that is YouControl can't directly send and Applescript, it has to launch them as an app. That's too slow. OpenMenu can send the scripts directly, but cannot be separated from the regular contextual menus. Can't find anything that would know when Expos� is active and would make the right button respond in a specific way.

TC  (op)
Senior User
Apr 5, 2004, 08:21 AM

I tried using USB overdrive and it at least allowed me to try my idea.
It is much easier to move around the applications using the scroll wheel as it is easy to back up if you go past the application you are interested in.

What it really needs though is to display the Application Switcher at the same time so you can see your progress through the list of applications. I sent my ideas to Apple + I added making the F10 operation of Expos� interact with the Application Switcher. When you bring up the app switcher by doing F10 and then CMD+TAB it would be great if the current app updated on the fly as you moved through the list of applications in the app switcher. Right now it only updates the Expos� windows being shown when you finish selecting.

The downside to getting this working with USB overdrive is that I had to set up the scroll wheel to give TAB and SHIFT+TAB in the global settings. If i just set it for dock then it didn't work in Expos�. The problem is that you loose the normal scroll in other applications if you set it globally. Anyone know which app Expos� is linked to?

Basilisk
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2004, 11:45 AM

Anyone know which app Expos� is linked to?
Expose is implemented by the Dock, but not in a manner that changes the frontmost application. I doubt you'll be able to get USBOverdriveHelper to recognize when Expose is activated.

I'd be willing to bet that Apple will never make the app switcher or Expose change the frontmost application as the user scrolls through the possible selections. Many applications do fairly complex actions as they switch from frontmost application (hiding toolbars, etc.). You wouldn't want to force applications through those actions as the user spins their scrollwheel, it would seriously hinder performance.

Alex

TC  (op)
Senior User
Apr 5, 2004, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Basilisk:
I'd be willing to bet that Apple will never make the app switcher or Expose change the frontmost application as the user scrolls through the possible selections. Many applications do fairly complex actions as they switch from frontmost application (hiding toolbars, etc.). You wouldn't want to force applications through those actions as the user spins their scrollwheel, it would seriously hinder performance.
Hit F10 and then TAB through the Applications. It is just Expos� changing which Application's windows it displays, it does not make the app active.
I guess my explanation wasn't clear enough.

Basilisk
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2004, 01:13 PM

Hit F10 and then TAB through the Applications. It is just Expos� changing which Application's windows it displays, it does not make the app active.
I guess my explanation wasn't clear enough.
No, my fault, I just misunderstood...

I was conflating your two separate problems, the USBOverdrive and the AppSwitcher plus Expose.

I see your point now, you want Expose to highlight the windows of the current app switcher selection. That seems reasonable, and since both are implemented by the Dock I would expect it wouldn't even be too hard.

Alex

krove
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 04:05 PM

BTW, it's Expos�, not Expos�.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Brass
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2004, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by krove:
BTW, it's Expos�, not Expos�.
I think in the next edition of the Oxford dictionary, the definition for "pedantic" will refer to this (above) post at MacNN Forums.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
I think in the next edition of the Oxford dictionary, the definition for "pedantic" will refer to this (above) post at MacNN Forums.

You don't want people saying "Ex-pos-uh" do you?


Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2004, 07:36 PM

Exposah is totally my favorite feature in Panther.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

krove
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 03:25 AM

The French purist inside me broke out of containment...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2004, 05:21 AM

Originally posted by krove:
The French purist inside me broke out of containment...
It's not really purism, accented letters are practically the same as different letters, so using the wrong accent is just plain wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules