Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > raid for two hard drives

raid for two hard drives
bradleykavin
Aug 6, 2004, 03:50 AM

i have a g5 dual 1.8 and it came with an 80 gig hd...i just purchased a 250 gig hd and i guess there is a way i can make them act as one hard drive using raid..how do you do that? and if u do that, does it slow the hardrive down or make copying files or something slower?or in other words..does it have any speed effects? any help would be apprecaited..thanks
Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 8x superdrive, 250 gig startup drive 80 gig seconday drive, nvidia 6800 gt, logitech z-5500

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 09:03 AM

you can do this, but due to the fact that one drive is only 80gb, you will only be able to use 80gb of the other drive...kinda a waste

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 6, 2004, 01:15 PM

RAID requires like-size drives. There is another system called "JBOD" (Just a Bunch Of Disks) that does what you are thinking.

But any time that you combine drives without adding redundancy data (as most RAID does), you are decreasing your data security.

Just keep them as separate disks and use them like that. (In fact, I'm not even sure of any way to do JBOD on a Mac, anyway.)

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules