Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Questions before I take my iMac to a Service Center

Questions before I take my iMac to a Service Center
joedangerous
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 03:45 PM

Well I guess I have a two-part post.

First, my iMac DV 400's screen refused to come on this morning. I am currently writing this off an external monitor attached to the iMac's VGA port. Everything else seems to be working just fine, including speakers, HD, modem, etc, but no screen image whatsoever.

I noticed samm had a similar probelm, except he wasn't getting a HD, and ThisGuy made several suggestions. I guess Im wondering if my problem could simply be a loose monitor cable, since everything seems to be working fine, and it appears my monitor is simply not "on."

I'm running OSX.2.4 with the iMac DV firmware update installed and 320MB or RAM.

Should I be unable to fix the problem, what should I expect if I take the machine to an Apple Authorized S.C.? How much is too much to pay to fix the iMac's screen and when should I just buy a new one? How much should I pay if the operation is relatively "simple" like reconnecting the monitor cable?

Thanks for your help in advance. I'm really getting sick of my old DEC VGA!! :-)

Joe Dangerous.

joedangerous  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 04:05 PM

Whoa! Looks like the ol' PRAM trick worked. I've got screen again.

Now why the hell did that happen???

Dex13
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 06:23 PM

Your pretty lucky .... or smart! But whatever it was you got your screen back.
Cheers!

Forum Links
Forum Rules